Importance Of Link Diversity in SEO
by, 04-16-2012 at 09:10 PM (2362 Views)
Link building is the key for a site to rank higher in the Search Engines, maintaining link diversity when building links is a great factor to consider. You shouldn't put all your links in one basket; you should build backlinks from different sources, domains and various types of links.
Google favors certain links over others; it changes the value certain links have as they get manipulated. Generally the links that are easily obtained are valued less than links that are difficult to obtain.
A normal link profile will include many types of links and it is this diversity that helps to naturalize your link profile, the following are what to be in mind when you want to be a good link profile:
* Different Domains: When there are many links from a domain pointing to a site, Google will not give great value to all of them, a site with 20 links from 10 different sites will stand a better chance of being favored by search engines than a site with twenty links from one site
* Anchor Text Variation: Varying of anchor texts in link building has always been more important. A large number or percentage of your backlinks that are optimized for the same keyword can trigger a penalty. This should make sense as obviously natural link growth for a website involves thousands of varying anchor texts created by different people.
* Links from Different Kinds of Sites: Google does not give much weight on backlinks that come from the same sites. You should concentrate on the quality and not just the quantity of links. You should ensure your link building strategy invovles all the available methods such as link bait, blog commenting, directory submissions, link exchange with related sites and guest blogging.
* Domains with Different IP Addresses: You should make sure your links are derived from multiple sources. Backlinks derived from different sources are better than multiple links from a single.
* Links to Inner Pages: Deep linking is the process of building back links to the inner pages of a website. It is not enough to build links for the home page of your website. Building a natural link profile should not be restricted to the homepage. It’s more unnatural to have all links pointing to a homepage, you should diverse link between all the inner pages as well.
* DoFollow/Nofollow: By default, a link is “do follow” meaning it is a normal link. But site owners deliberately block a link from being indexed by Google through the use of the rel=nofollow tag. Natural link profiles should contain both dofollow and nofollow links.