Welcome to WebmasterServe!

FREE TO JOIN! Join us now to engage in informative and friendly discussions about Webmastering, SEO, SEM, Internet Marketing, Programming, Graphic Design, Online Jobs and more. What are you waiting for? Ready to join our friendly community? It takes just one minute to register.

Dismiss Notice

Join WebmasterServe Forums 
Join the discussion! Have a better idea or an opinion? It takes just one minute to register Click Here to Join

How many characters is recommended in the Meta description?

Discussion in 'General SEO Topics' started by Hafsoh, Apr 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hafsoh

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +7 / -0
    Meta description tag is the text displayed under a page title in the SERPs, they are more about conversion rather than SEO, so make description more compelling. They should be brief and include your target phrases that will encourages searchers to click your listing in the search results

Every page should have its own description that describes that page. The description should optimally be 160 characters Limit to no more than 250 characters.

2. Loading...
  3. Max Wallace

White Belt

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    Meta Title Length = 63 characters

Meta Keyword tag = 256 characters

Meta Description tag = 156 characters

hope this will help..

4. roundstone

White Belt

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    off course every page must be there on description which describe page and description length must be 156 character including coma and space you also can increase the length of description but crawler doesn't crawl more than 156 character from description tag.

5. Evgeniy

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +3 / -0
    If you want that all your meta description will be visible in SERP so description lenght must be 156 characters.
    And I don't agree with roundstone that crawler doesn't crawl more than 156 characters. If the part of description that goes after 156 character is more relevant to keyword phrase - google can take this part as a snippet.

6. raj

raj
    White Belt

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    Meta Title tag must be of 70 characters. Meta Description tag must be of 150 characters.

7. davidson

White Belt

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    As much I know, Meta Description should be around 150-160 characters, where as Meta tag should contain 60-70 characters.

8. RusselsP

White Belt

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    Meta Tags

Title Tag: 66 Character
    Description tag: 150 (as Google read only upto 150 character after this description never show in SERP.) so try to write page description with in 150 char.)
    Keywords Tag: Not more than 9 Keywords.

9. Evgeniy

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +3 / -0
    It is important to have a good and realy interesting meta description because it can be used as a snippet by Google. And no matter if it will be more characters then 156. Every website owner want to have a good traffic on his website and snippet is one of the most important part in having good traffic.

10. alkenvloeren3

White Belt

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    The meta description should optimally be between 150-160 characters.

11. seosolutions84

White Belt

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    The no. of characters recommended in the meta description is 150-160.

12. Evgeniy

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +3 / -0
    It is recommended only to be vivsible in SERP. If your meta description will be longer than 156 it will not be dispalay full in SERP. That's all.

13. link8r

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    Hi Hafsoh - I know you're not a spammer - but what is the point of posting a question and simultaneously answering it? I just don't get it. I've thought of this 100 times for months but I can't think why this is a good posting strategy?

14. Evgeniy

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +3 / -0
    I think it is not a strategy it is sharing experience. For example If I starting some thread on the forum I can asking the question and the same time share my point of view.

15. ankit8logic

White Belt

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    Meta description tag should be 160-170 character long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.