Welcome to WebmasterServe!

FREE TO JOIN! Join us now to engage in informative and friendly discussions about Webmastering, SEO, SEM, Internet Marketing, Programming, Graphic Design, Online Jobs and more. What are you waiting for? Ready to join our friendly community? It takes just one minute to register.

Dismiss Notice

Join WebmasterServe Forums 
Join the discussion! Have a better idea or an opinion? It takes just one minute to register Click Here to Join

Tutorial 10 Tips On How To Create Seo Friendly Url Structure

Discussion in 'Onsite or Onpage SEO' started by Zirkon Kalti, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Zirkon Kalti

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +120 / -0
    seo-friendly-urls.

Badly optimized URL is a common problem detected in many websites. If your site pages' URLs are not SEO optimized, they won't be able to rank properly in the search engine. The following are a 10 tips on how to make good SEO friendly URL structure practices.

1. Make Your URL Meaningful by Including the Article Title in the Slugs

seo-friendly-page-names.

A SEO friendly URL uses the article title as the slugs, for example xyz.com/article-title, not a URL that is filled with generated numbers for example xyz.com/?p=675878. Search engines have no problem indexing both types of URLs but you must keep in mind that URL that use the titles of the articles will be more user friendly. The downside of using dynamic URL is that no one know what blog post the URL is pointing to since it uses numeric parameters to identify the page. URL that use word instead of numbers are more likely to be clicked as people can read and understand it. You should try to keep the URL short. The longer the URL, the lower the effectiveness of the anchor keywords you included.

2. Optimizing the URLs with Anchor Keywords
    The inclusion of anchor keywords in the URL can help the search engine to understand the structure of the page. If your site is a Wordpress blog, you can change the structure of the URL by configuring the permalink setting in Permalink under Settings on the left navigation bar. The slug of the URL can also be edited on the Add New Post page in Wordpress.

3. Use Hyphens to Separate Words in the URL
    You can add hyphens in between each word as this allows the search engine to treat words separated by hyphens as a single word. Some search engines see underscores as connectors so it is best not use underscores to separate words.

4. Eliminate Hashtag from Your Site's URLs
    If there are # in the URLs on your site, make sure you get rid of it as it is not recognized by the search engines. Search engines ignore the # symbol and everything after it. After you have removed the #, make sure the page is appeared crawled and indexed in the search engine result as you want.

5. Make Sure the URLs are in Lower Case Letters
    There should be no capital letter in the URLs of the page sof your site as URLs are case sensitive. Including capital letters in the URLs can cause confusion to the search engine. Mixed case URLs can be treated as URLs to duplicate articles on the site. To prevent search engine from dealing with it, it is recommended that you rewrite the URL to lower case.

6. Setting the Preferred Domain

set-preferred-domain-google-webmaster-tools.

You should set your preferred domain to either www or non www version. To set the preferred domain, you should go to Google Webmaster Tools > Configuration > Settings > Preferred Domain. This option is only for configuring root domains. Setting the preferred domain is beneficial especially when you have some backlinks pointing to the www version as well as the non www version. You can also establish a link between the www version and non www version by using 301 redirect.

7. Use Keywords in Subfolders Name
    The destination page must not be buried under too many subfolders. It is best to keep the page at 1 – 2 levels deep. Your subfolders should named with the targeted keyword instead of non meaningful names such as numbers. This will improve the navigation on your site as your visitors will know what topic the article you post on the blog belong it and be able to find it the next time they want to read it again.

8. SEO and Domain Extension
    The domain extension does not have anything to do with the SEO friendliness of the URL. It doesn't mean that you have to use a .com extension in order for the search engine to rank you on top of the search engine. Rather, this depends on the backlink and content of the site. However, country specific domains such as .us, and .it may make the URL more SEO friendly for local search result. As you know, country specific domains don't rank well in other countries.

9. Subdomains and Subfolders
    Some webmasters question whether to use subdomains or subfolders for different article topics. Subdomains are seen as a different site from the main site so you have to do the SEO work for it all over again. You can create subdomains for different niches. For example, if you have a news site, you can create subdomains on different topics such as sports and movies. You can also create a subdomain for the map you integrate on your site.

10. Create XML Sitemap

xml-sitemap.

You should create a XML sitemap for your site as XML sitemap can help the search engine to locate your pages. XML sitemap are used as references when the search engines are picking canonical URLs, also known as preferred URLs, when they see that your site has duplicated pages. Search engines uses an algorithm to detect duplicate pages and pick the best URL to represent it in the search result. You can determine the mobile friendly pages on your site and get them included in the sitemaps so that they will rank in mobile search results.

2. Bilal Nasir

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +6 / -0
    All I Dynamic URLs are easily understood by special characters used in them, such as question marks and ampersands. Those characters identify parameters, often the language or user ID. But this means that the same content can have different URLs.
    One of the most common URL-related myths is that search engines can’t crawl dynamic URLs. This might have been true in the past, but Google has made some progress in this area.
    Some webmasters try to rewrite dynamic URLs to make them appear static. This is not required because the content on the page can be crawled and Google can interpret the different parameters. The algorithm can figure out which parameters do not matter.

3. fsdqasmia

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +16 / -0
    Don't avoid using keywords in the URLs of your pages as they can bring more positive results to generate the unique traffic.

4. bharath

Staff Member Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +54 / -0
    The permalink structure automatically makes it into Seo friendly url and all the capital letters are converted into lower case from the title.
    I have never heard people use hashtags in url, can you confirm me why people needs to use # in titles or urls?
    6 Point is really helpful to me, but do you prefer to use in htaccess file too for redirecting users to preferred url?
    I totally agree with 7 and 8 points as far as your article is Good.
    In the 9th Subdomains would be hepful for large blogs as it won't use much server hardware.

5. fsdqasmia

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +16 / -0
    While creating SEO friendly URLs, consider making them mobile-friendly as well, because most people use mobiles today to surf the internet.

6. Furqan Rashid

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +38 / -0
    SEO friendly URL helps a lot in promoting your business and bringing more traffic to your website. You should have a mobile friendly URL to Make your website successful.

7. bharath

Staff Member Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +54 / -0
    I have never heard mobile friendly url, can you show me how to do? I see Mobile friendly sites, but not mobile friendly url sites.
    Any demo or sample site please post here.

8. Furqan Rashid

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +38 / -0
    Sorry that's mistakenly written, I was talking about having a user friendly URL and mobile friendly website. Thanks for correcting me.

9. PingPongCall

White Belt

Ratings:
    +2 / -0
    It's amazing to me that something like the URL itself can have an effect on a sites SEO.

10. Vinaya

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +22 / -0
    Usually, I use the title of my article as the url. The url or the title contain search terms of keywords. I try to avoid special characters from my url if I have any in my title. I try to avoid using words that can be spelled in various ways for instance color/colour.

11. Manish Mishra

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +159 / -0
    Working on WordPress you just do not need to be worried at all for anything like that. Permalink structure could be just ticked and it will represent everywhere else as the same.
    However, many of your points are really appreciable and i honestly never heard that before. It was great reading your post mate!

12. cheezcarls

cheezcarls It's Game Time!
    Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +162 / -0
    SEO friendly URLs are indeed necessary for us to increase our chances in ranking well on the search engines. I admitted that when I was still new to SEO, I never consider and ignore to create URLs that are SEO friendly, even if I do affiliate marketing review blogs. I just realized it, and I need to change something within my own blog. As I have learned about SEO friendly URLs that could make a possible surge for my own affiliate marketing reviews, I have noticed that my traffic and rankings got up. This is why SEO friendly URLs are very important to us.

13. Nadeem Akhtar

White Belt

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    What should be the length of page url from seo perspective?

14. hoaloaken

hoaloaken New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    Great, thank you for sharing an advantage tip.Make a friendly url struture is very advantage for Seo