301 redirect from old site to new site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
SEO gurus, what do you think the effect of a 301 redirect from an old site (about 5 years old) to a site that is about a few weeks old will be from search engine optimisation viewpoint?

Thanks

darkstar_tfd

Yellow Belt
Why would you do that when you can develop the old domain and redirect permanently in-domain ?

It is much more easier to get results like this, than to redirect as you exampled above.

Zoli

Yellow Belt
I have done some 301 redirects in the past and theoretically the new domain should substitute the old one at every search result page after Google receive the correct 301 response. Although many people says that domain name does play only indirect role in the seo game -helps only if the domain is used as anchor text- I experienced immediatly huge improvement when redirected my site to a new keyword rich subdomain my older site. (i did nothing which may cause that ranking jump).

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
No sure I am with you or agree with you. What if you do not want to redirect old domain? say its a brand name you have discontinued and you now have a new brand name?
You register the new brand name and forward the old brand name to the new brand name?

Why would you do that when you can develop the old domain and redirect permanently in-domain ?

It is much more easier to get results like this, than to redirect as you exampled above.

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
Thanks for that Zoli, will keep my fingers crossed, at the moment, the old domain is still in Google, I think withing 1 -2 weeks, the old domain should start forwarding its google trust and ranking to the new domain.

I have done some 301 redirects in the past and theoretically the new domain should substitute the old one at every search result page after Google receive the correct 301 response. Although many people says that domain name does play only indirect role in the seo game -helps only if the domain is used as anchor text- I experienced immediatly huge improvement when redirected my site to a new keyword rich subdomain my older site. (i did nothing which may cause that ranking jump).

Zoli

Yellow Belt
In my case the host of the main page was changed in a couple of days 2-3, but the inner pages about 150 were assigned to the new host in about 2-3 months though the blog was PR 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.