Welcome to WebmasterServe!

FREE TO JOIN! Join us now to engage in informative and friendly discussions about Webmastering, SEO, SEM, Internet Marketing, Programming, Graphic Design, Online Jobs and more. What are you waiting for? Ready to join our friendly community? It takes just one minute to register.

Dismiss Notice

Join WebmasterServe Forums 
Join the discussion! Have a better idea or an opinion? It takes just one minute to register Click Here to Join

Tutorial 5 free cpanel alternatives

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Security Issues' started by Zirkon Kalti, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Zirkon Kalti

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +120 / -0
    cPanel is the best control panel for maintaining your website but it is not free. The good news is that there are a lot of cPanel free alternatives that you can install on your server without you having to pay for a single cent. The following are a cPanel free alternative list of the top 5 control panel platforms.

cpanel2.

1. ServerPilot
    serverpilot-logo.

ServerPilot is a free control panel that can help you to handle all the server configuration work. Some of the benefits of ServerPilot include configure your websites, create SSH/SFTP account, deploy PHP applications, and install SSL. ServerPilot will monitor your system and make sure the installed package is up to date. It has a simple interface that only display the essential features. The free version of Server Pilot lets you host unlimited websites. ServerPilot can only be installed on server that run on either of the two versions of 64 bit Ubuntu including 12.04 and 14.04.

2. Kloxo

kloxo.

Kloxo is a powerful and easy to use open source control panel that offers tons of features for webmasters. Kloxo has a similar interface with Cpanel. It comes with a script installer just like Softaculous/Fantastico that let you install various types of web applications for free. The HyperVM app can be used to set up an OpenVZ/KVM virtual environment on a dedicated server. Kloxo only take up a small space of 15 MB. With Kloxo, you can conveniently transfer mail/dns/web from an Apache server to a lighttpd server. It includes free billing applications such as AWBS and WHMCS. The tool can be used on reseller hosting packages. It is equipped with a security mode level 5.

3. Froxlor

froxlor.

Froxlor has a clean and organized interface that lets you easily find the features you need. You can use Froxlor for commercial use but you must give them credit. You can modify the open source control panel and distribute it. It does not provide a file manager for you to upload the files to the server, However, you can set up an FTP account and access the server via a third party software. It can be used by both customer and web hosting reseller. It is also suitable for web hosting administrator.

4. Zpanel

zpanel-logo-300x83.

Zpanel is an open source control panel written in PHP. It can run on all kinds of OS including Windows, Linux, UNIX and MacOSX. Zpanel includes a number of open source apps such as file manager, RoundCube webmail, Apache web server, domain manager and phpMyadmin. For Windows users, Zpanel supports features such as Filezilla and hMailServer. It support tons of features for Linux/UNIX servers including ProFTPd, Dovecot IMAP/POP3, and Postfix MTA.

5. VestaCP

vestacplogo.

VestaCP is a free control panel that can help you to reduce the work of maintaining your server. During the setup process, VestaCP will install the LNAMP stack. This requires your server to support Apache and Nginx. It is recommended that your server has at least 512 MB RAM on the VPS. VestaCp can run on Debian, Ubuntu, RH or CentOS platforms. VestaCP is suitable to be used on reseller hosting. You can easily manage your hosting packages on VestaCP.

2. Manish Mishra

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +159 / -0
    Well, These are really a great informative post. Honestly, i never heard about them before.
    I have used WHM panel to create Cpanel for website. Also, an alternative MyAdmin. I tell you MyAdmin is something that works faster and very easy to use. Options are more friendlier and gives a great environment to work.

3. challengewriter

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +66 / -0
    You literally just saved me a lot of time with this post, because it is exactly what I need, I was about to give up on hosting services and I'm going to check out the listed sites on here. Thank you!

#3 challengewriter, Dec 28, 2015 at 4:16 AM
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  4. Oldwriter

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +28 / -0
    Hello there ZK, thanks for publishing this informative article.

One thing I'd like to comment is regarding your #2, Kloxo.

While all control panels are prone to getting a security hole “here and there”, I recall there was a fuzz some time ago regarding Kloxo. They were hacked to the detriment of their reputation. Hopefuly they are better now. If you read the article at:

It finishes with some happy users (after the harsh words).

Some forum posts dealing with Kloxo hacks:

_______

Kloxo has had shaky times several both because offline happenings around the times their CEO died, as well as the times when the hacks appeared, but they got up, that's what matters.

Thanks again for the article!

Cheers.

#4 Oldwriter, Dec 30, 2015 at 12:04 AM
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  5. Oldwriter

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +28 / -0
    Hey Lara, what happened? Remember you can always practice your server skills at home with Virtualbox and a Linux OS.

If you feel like giving up, don't forget you're part of the Webmasterserve community; we're here to help each other. Do express your doubts and I'm certain the fine fellows around will do their best to assist you.

Cheers!

6. dcristo

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +37 / -0
    Shared hosting is that cheap, there really is no valid reason why you should need a cpanel alternative.

7. cheezcarls

cheezcarls It's Game Time!
    Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +162 / -0
    To tell you honestly, this is the first time I actually learned about the cPanel alternatives. When I am subscribing with Mochahost until Interserver now, all of them are cPanel. But I didn't know that these ones have existed. All I can say is WOW! Thank you @Zirkon Kalti@Zirkon Kalti for sharing this to us. All I can say that there are still some things or ideas that I hadn't found yet, but good thing that you have come up with this one. Shared hosting was affordable nowadays, and they mostly use cPanel and it was newbie-friendly for me.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

8. Manish Mishra

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +159 / -0
    If you are an Cpanel expert, it looks a hell lot easier. Being a beginner it is a hardtalk show to learn even Cpanel environment. I remember myself, in year 2008 when i was first time logged into Cpanel, i really had no idea where to even add the domain and i paid few bucks even too add the domain and installing WordPress into it.

Plus, I have used MyAdmin interface that is Cpanel alternative. They say its not very safe alternatives but i found it works faster than any alternatives.

9. tipstechtut

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +21 / -0
    Great post ZK. It will help who need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. skylimit

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +46 / -0
    Yes thats right.
    I too have struggled in my early days, but still Cpanel is best as compare to others.
    Thanks for mentioning good alternatives.

11. bharath

Staff Member Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +54 / -0
    I like only Cpanel even though it is paid software because easier to configure everything. I have installed Kloxo in the past with my VPS as the space is very less in RAM so Kloxo was the best option to install on server.

Those who use VPS they always install Kloxo Cpanel in their servers as I seen on the VPS forums. Remaining I never heard nor people posted on that VPS forums.

12. Vinaya

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +22 / -0
    These seems to be a great alternatives to control pannel. However, I have not used any of these and I only know how to use cpanel. Thanks for the recommendation. I may use one of these and see the difference. Since these are free, are there any drawbacks that the users of these products have experienced.

13. amanwaa

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +5 / -0
    I think you have missed one more cpanel alternatives plesk.