My 2 Cents A real alternative to windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
For many years, people have discussed the coming of a real rival to MS Windows on the desktop, many years on, no candidate has yet emerged, do you think Winodows will dominate the dektop for ever?

gkd_uk

Yellow Belt
Not sure what others think but I think Microsoft will dominate the desktop for a very long time. Not sure about forever though

xtrafile

Yellow Belt
Well, Microsoft showed that it could stay strong when it released Windows 1.0, which turned out much better than the DOS operating systems at the time.

I'm sure it'll hold the market for a while, but with Mac's OS X running Windows and Linux rising up it won't be too much longer before everyone turns away from Windows.

shadoweater

Yellow Belt
Linux

You'll probably find Linux runs many webserver and performs much routing

Linux users are fast growing with Windows users becoming sick of abuse by Microsoft / BSODs / Random error messages and the like

Linux is a completely viable alternative to Windows, as is MAC (Incidentall MAC NOS is based on BSD. Get googling kids)

Peace

C

Cryxellis

For many years, people have discussed the coming of a real rival to MS Windows on the desktop, many years on, no candidate has yet emerged, do you think Winodows will dominate the dektop for ever?
Well I don't know if Windows can stay forever but there was a saying that nothing last forever though I'm not saying it will not. I think Linux is a good rival
and there are already many people used it. So there is really a competition, I just don't know what will happen next..

shadoweater

Yellow Belt
Linux only for me

I only use Linux. I have 2 boxes. One on Fluxbuntu (I cant stand all the eye candy garbage and ESPECIALLY compiz-fusion) and my fileserver runs Mandriva. My work lappy runs XP Pro but is the only exposure I have to Windows (except servers at work) that I get. Linux all the way.

People seem drawn to Linux by the videos on YouTube / Googlevideo of Compiz but then they look past that and realise they actually have a decent bit of kit that actually works.

Status
Not open for further replies.