Help Me/Question Ad Revenue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyTech

Yellow Belt
In your opinion, what's the best way to generate revenue for a website:

Should you manage your own clients or should you use a third party system such as CJ or Google to generate funds?

Moondancer

Yellow Belt
Suz would be one of the best people to ask about that so you might want to PM her from WMF.org. She is a whiz at it.

CrazyTech

Yellow Belt
I'll have to contact her, but I also still welcome opinions and ideas here as well. This is a general dark area for me as I have done very little in ad management in the past, and it's something I could certainly learn more about for future endeavors.

Y

YUKON

Seems like we need to get SUZ's "whizzness" cuz i also want to know more about this. I made a website for my uncle and he wants to makemoney with ad banners on his site.

YUK

Moondancer

Yellow Belt
well, i'm still learning so I wouldn't be a good one to ask, lol.. one thing I know... most of the bigger affiliate programs, although they pay well, they are so glutted that it's still hard to make money.. eg amazon pays 15% of each sale but getting sales from links would be really hard without a lot of traffic because everybody has links to amazon. another good paying one is xara.com, I'll try to think of some others, okay?

CrazyTech

Yellow Belt
Would be appreciated Moon. :)

I'm curious about the programs as well because I'd love to offer something unobtrusively here at WS in the near future.

Moondancer

Yellow Belt
from what i understand, google ads aren't paying as well as they did in the beginning so the best thing to do is look for affiliate programs but try to stay within site topic rather than just any old links.. amazon and xara would both fit here.. amazon because they offer tech books as well as everything else, you know? you can try adsense because it does still pay something.

CrazyTech

Yellow Belt
I'm thinking the Amazon or Adsense route at this point. I'm not looking to make a fortune, but I'd like the establish the website a little more before I go out and try to contact clients and such for advertising.

Moondancer

Yellow Belt
can't blame you there. I'm going to stick up amazon and a few others on writingwise more for visitor convenience than actual hope of making a lot of money, lol. it's a writing site and writers are also readers, so...
but yeah, i'd find a couple of good affiliates to start with and use the proceeds to advertise the heck out of your sites, then start loking for other advertisers.

CrazyTech

Yellow Belt
I just want a nice little community for people to come without hundreds of ads. I know that eventually if this place keeps growing it will need more space and  potentially a server, so I want to make sure that this place eventually pays for itself.

Moondancer

Yellow Belt
I hear ya, CT.
Ummm.. this is off topic but... how come I'm called a student webmaster? rofl.. i will always be a student, of course... any webmaster who knows anything always will be as well.... but then you have all these other ranks... I want one!!!!!!!! LOL

McMadd

White Belt
I have no hands on experience with ad revenues but I hear good things about Google.
Success depends (like most ad programs) on the content of your website but to give an example, a friend of mine has a website on "living in Milan" (he's Dutch and has lived in Milan, Italy a few years).
The website is aimed at foreigners in Milan with information on the how's and where's, automated weather, currency and cultural reports.
Even though it's just a hobby (he doesn't live there anymore) he's making about a 100 bucks every three months by Google ads.

From a visitors point of view I like the Google ads because they are small and very content related.
So, like I said, depending on the content of your site Google might be a good candidate.

CrazyTech

Yellow Belt
Well you may see Google ads on this page sometime soon to start things off. I've got a bit of final research to do.

And Moon, you can always reach a new title with the more posts that you make. It's part of the fun. ;)

Moondancer

Yellow Belt
[quote author=CrazyTech link=topic=23.msg193#msg193 date=1087447578]
And Moon, you can always reach a new title with the more posts that you make. It's part of the fun. ;)
[/quote]

Sheeesh.. that's take forver.. i'm one of your top posters now... :p

SoaringUSAEagle

Yellow Belt
I think he should enable the stars we get by our names.  Hey CT... how about giving us Skippers those blue stars under our name to match the theme?  :)

Moondancer

Yellow Belt
[quote author=SoaringUSAEagle link=topic=23.msg208#msg208 date=1087499485]
I think he should enable the stars we get by our names.  Hey CT... how about giving us Skippers those blue stars under our name to match the theme?   :)
[/quote]

How come I can't be a skipper? huh?huh?huh?

CrazyTech

Yellow Belt
Moon knows she always has a spot here at WS.

I was looking today, I might have found an advertising client for WS. Do you guys know of any good banner rotation scripts that you'd recommend?

SoaringUSAEagle

Yellow Belt
Not off the top of my head I dont.  I can do some searching and get back to you tomorrow if you'd like CT.  I am sure I know some people who know some scripts hehe... Its kinda like the, "know some people who know some people who can do something" lol.

I'll look tomorrow.

A

Ardenn

I dont know how much webspace you have CT, But I run PhpAdNew on my site.  Its a little hard to learn at first, but its very powerful.  It has my recommendation hands down.

Status
Not open for further replies.