Antivirus...good...bad...satisfied...

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

ovi

Gents,

Let's talk about our Antivirus software, let us know if you are happy with it, you are not, let us know also if you have any firewall.

I have McAfee antivirus and Sygate Personal Firewall. I am quite satisfied about this softwares.

Ovi

M

mariuskl

I have kaspersky 6, is very good, I like because I don't have any headaches with computer since I've install it.

DevonWebsites

Yellow Belt
I have been an avid user of AVG free edition for a few years. I am a little horrified that it is no longer supported. Since AVG was a free product a lot of dodgier people on the internet were using it and were happy to report virusus, because of this the response times from virus identification to cure were always impressive. The same dodgy people probably wouldnt have reported the viruses to the Symantecs or McAffes of this world.

N

nameslot

I use none.

I don't use any antivirus.

I only use personal firewall and have never gone on other sites then the one I go to on daily basis.

4 years had past and never had any problems with this setup.

DevonWebsites

Yellow Belt
I use none.

You my friend are either very brave or very stupid!

When I check the logs for the dozen or so pc's and a server I am responsible for at our UK offices there are literally dozens of viruses blocked on a daily basis. If you have no antivirus you probably have a lot of viruses, trojans & spyware installed with no way of knowing.

notvaliduser

Yellow Belt
I use Avast and it works just fine till now. I must agree with WWT , I wouldn't dare not to use antivirus , it's a big risk .

N

nameslot

You my friend are either very brave or very stupid!
Maybe I am happy to live with viruses. Because they don't touch my data and I don't touch them.

Moreover there cannot be a trojan sending signals in and out as the firewall is always there monitoring the activity.

DevonWebsites

Yellow Belt
I have been an avid user of AVG free edition for a few years. I am a little horrified that it is no longer supported. Since AVG was a free product a lot of dodgier people on the internet were using it and were happy to report virusus, because of this the response times from virus identification to cure were always impressive. The same dodgy people probably wouldnt have reported the viruses to the Symantecs or McAffes of this world.
It turns out that AVG is still available as a free download and all I had to do was download the new version. Go figure!

Mirror7

White Belt
I use none.

I only use personal firewall and have never gone on other sites then the one I go to on daily basis.

4 years had past and never had any problems with this setup.
How do you install it or is it in the OS?

DevonWebsites

Yellow Belt
Sarcasum

What exactly are you talking about ?
I think he is talking about a personal firewall like zone alarm or similar.

This may sound like really lame advice but this applies to 99.999% of everything you need.

There is this new website, it only started about 20 years ago and its called google.

What you do is point an internet exporer window to google.com
To make this easy I have added a link:
Click here to goto Google

Now this is the complicate bit, There is a big white box on the google search page. You type what it is you want into this box, in this case type "personal firewall". Then you press the big button that says google search.

A big list of websites will come up and you click on the one you want.

You can use this method to find out or download anything you want.

C

csilla

I tried quite many antivirus softwares and firewalls. Now i am using AVG free edition and Sygate personal fierwall and i am quite happy with them so far.

BTW AVG is updated on daily bases and if the soft cannot clear the virus they point you to some minor antivirus specialized on removing that type of virus. I still think that the best antivirus is a Linux or Mac OS though :) The last time a Windows updated messed up my system some month ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.