any dedicated weight lifters here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

weaponx12o

Yellow Belt
just wondering if there are any weight lifters on this site. post your workout program (including sets/reps, intensity), what supplements you're taking (if any), and any tips for the noobs.

T

TestMagic

I used to be really into it, but now, I seem to squeeze in only one workout a week. I've got weights, dumbbells, and a punching bag at home, so I tend to use those more than I do the gym.

Typical workout:

Bench: 135 lbs x 12 reps
175 lbs x 10 reps
225 x 8 reps

Pull-downs:
Similar "inverted pyramid," not sure of the weights, since the pulleys make a difference.

Oops! Gotta run! Then comes shoulder press, maybe flies.

bayster

Yellow Belt
TestMagic said:
I used to be really into it, but now, I seem to squeeze in only one workout a week. I've got weights, dumbbells, and a punching bag at home, so I tend to use those more than I do the gym.

Typical workout:

Bench: 135 lbs x 12 reps
175 lbs x 10 reps
225 x 8 reps

Pull-downs:
Similar "inverted pyramid," not sure of the weights, since the pulleys make a difference.

Oops! Gotta run! Then comes shoulder press, maybe flies.

just keep doing it ,, i have been working out 6 days a week for 2 years ... i max out last year @ 212 pounds

weaponx12o

Yellow Belt
i used to be a gym rat too, i never really tried to max out, but the heaviest i went up to was 1 set of 8 reps with 235 on bench. but that was like 2 years ago

uCallmeBobby

Yellow Belt
damn guys, i started going regularly in January. And since about a month or so ago I'm able to do a bit over my own weight now. (165 lbs)

W

Whodeani

OK here we go...

Mondays: Chest

-15 min warm up on either stair master or elliptical trainer. (always start with a good warm up to get the blood pumping)

Flat bench press
-Start with a warm up set of 8 I do 135..
-Next we do a pyramid work out. which is as listed.
-set of 8 rest
-set of 6 rest (add 10 lbs)
-set of 4 rest (add 10 lbs)
-set of 2 rest (add 10 lbs)
-cool down, back to warm up weight with extra wide grip 1 set of 8-12
** not if you say do all the sets and when if came down to the set of two you only could put up 1. then the next monday you don't go up in weight. If you do all your sets clean with out help. Then the Following monday you add 5 lbs 2 1/2 on each side understand the goal is to put up all sets clean so that next week you can go up 5 lbs.

Next:
same set as above, leave out the warm up and cool down set.

Decline bench
-set of 8
-set of 6 (add 5lbs)
-set of 4 (add 5lbs)
-set of 2 (add 5lbs)
** Same as above do all sets clean so that you can advance next week. if you don't do all sets clean then it's the same wieght next week. Somtime it may take three weeks before you can put up all sets clean. It's a bitch some times!

Next
Incline dumbbell press.
-3 sets of 8 to 12

Next cables.. we do a supper set on this. I'll explain.

-3 sets of 8-10
** Here is the supper set. while you are normally suppose to be resting in-between sets.
Here while you partner is doing the cables you do pushups until failure. extra wide should be doing 8-10 on the first set and if your lucky you might get 6 on your third set.
So it goes
-Cables set of 8 --> push ups little rest
-Cables set of 8 --> push ups little rest

Finally we do either flat bench fly's (key is to act like you are hugging some one)
-3 sets of 8

This should take 2 to 2.5 hrs depending if you are talking it up with a friend or having to wait on machines. This will build stamina as well as strength...

I work out 4 to 5 times a week... I work 1 to 2 body parts a day. each work out is approx. 2 hrs. and as much as

Our 3 hr workouts are when we end with an hour of cadieo boxing with mitts and pads.

The supplements that I take.. German pharmaceutical Creatine.. If you plan to take Creatine then buy the German Pharmaceutical It's the best out there... You can find it pretty easy. But if it doesn't say it is on the bottle then it's not (key)

Now here is the crazy sh|T...

-Mag 10 (Prohormone)--> Brand -->Biotest
-Testosterone Boosters-->testosterone--> Brand-->Tribex
-Anti-Estrogen-->Testosterone-Support Formula--> Brand-->Biotest

These three are all taken together.. one week on.. one week off. :gwork:

W

Whodeani

One more thing...

I started this work out in January and have added 50 -6o lbs on my bench press... But you have to work arms and shoulders as well.. there is more than just your chest mussels putting up this weight. you need to work your arms and shoulders just as much without that you could possibly hurt your shoulders in the process.

W

Whodeani

Last comnet.. I'm 146 lbs I put up 220 on flat bench... and 225 on decline bench..

weaponx12o

Yellow Belt
nice.. but dont you think you're overtraining a bit? doing flat bench and cables crossovers are pushing it, but adding the flys just leads to overtraining. you should try to mix up your program.. like, all dumbells one day, and the next time you work on chest you do all bars. or you can mix them up even further. too many to name right now. it keeps your body guessing and prevents you from plateauing (is that even a word?!). i like your program, but its a bit too long for me. plus i work out by myself.

and i agree with your comment on shoulders. for a heavier bench weight, you have to work on your shoulders and triceps. that's why the bench press is known as a compound exercise. it works more than just the pectoral muscles, as opposed to an isolated exercise such as the bicep curl which isolates only 1 muscle. so shoulders and triceps are very important in order to achieve a good bench max

oh and im 135 lbs for now, and i maxed out at 235 on flat bench but that was a set of 8. i havent tried a 1 rep max. but for now, im just going up to sets on 185

bayster

Yellow Belt
agreed

weaponx12o said:
nice.. but dont you think you're overtraining a bit? doing flat bench and cables crossovers are pushing it, but adding the flys just leads to overtraining. you should try to mix up your program.. like, all dumbells one day, and the next time you work on chest you do all bars. or you can mix them up even further. too many to name right now. it keeps your body guessing and prevents you from plateauing (is that even a word?!). i like your program, but its a bit too long for me. plus i work out by myself.

and i agree with your comment on shoulders. for a heavier bench weight, you have to work on your shoulders and triceps. that's why the bench press is known as a compound exercise. it works more than just the pectoral muscles, as opposed to an isolated exercise such as the bicep curl which isolates only 1 muscle. so shoulders and triceps are very important in order to achieve a good bench max

oh and im 135 lbs for now, and i maxed out at 235 on flat bench but that was a set of 8. i havent tried a 1 rep max. but for now, im just going up to sets on 185
:rolleyes:

W

Whodeani

I'm still going up in weight,and not only have I gained size but I have stayed lean. That is what I wanted.. I wanted to stay lean while I gain size. I was told that there is two ways to do that... Lots and lots of Cardio with high reps on the bench.. but that will not gain size.. Or do longer work outs on chest. Do small sets but more of them. = gain size and stay lean.

I have been told by many that I might be over training.... But I look at my results.. and I'm still climbing up in weight... At this point I look at it like this.." If it's not broken then don't fix it..."

Now I know I'm probably coming up to a point where I might be hitting my max.. As well, when I put up that much weight my body is like.. "what the hell are you thinking!!"

weaponx12o

Yellow Belt
Whodeani said:
Now I know I'm probably coming up to a point where I might be hitting my max.. As well, when I put up that much weight my body is like.. "what the hell are you thinking!!"

hahahaha :D you shouldnt worry about your max, it'll aways keep rising. just worry about sets and reps. just dont plateau!

Status
Not open for further replies.