Welcome to WebmasterServe!

FREE TO JOIN! Join us now to engage in informative and friendly discussions about Webmastering, SEO, SEM, Internet Marketing, Programming, Graphic Design, Online Jobs and more. What are you waiting for? Ready to join our friendly community? It takes just one minute to register.

Dismiss Notice

Join WebmasterServe Forums 
Join the discussion! Have a better idea or an opinion? It takes just one minute to register Click Here to Join

Help Me/Question Are 2-in-1 Laptops The Future Of Computing Machines?

Discussion in 'General Business Topics' started by networld, Feb 4, 2016.

1. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    We all know till a few years back all we got was a desktop computer for our computing needs and owning a desktop computer was a matter of pride in those days. Then came laptop with its compact design and portability posing a threat to desktop business. Then the existence of laptops was threatened by tablets and now it is the time for 2-in-1 laptops which can be used as a tablet also. What you have to do is to just detach the screen from laptop and it would serve as a fully functional tablet.

I think 2-in-1 laptop is going to stay here for long posing a definite threat to tablets and conventional laptops. But I don’t think it will ever replace them. Nowadays there are 2-in-1 laptops with a hard disk option too.

2. cortana

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +28 / -0
    Why don't you give us some samples of 2 in 1 laptops that you think will be here to stay?

This would be a better post if you had examples of real products for people to compare.

3. patrickkenyi

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +4 / -0
    I have heard of 2 in 1 laptops before, specifically one called the uhuru tablet. They seem really cool and innovative but I don't think they will replace conventional laptops. I think people will still prefer tablets and conventional laptops because they look sleeker than a multipurpose laptop with a detaching tablet screen, leaving you with a hideous keyboard.

4. pwarbi

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +25 / -0
    The 2 in 1 laptop I think is the future of computing, well...until the next big thing comes out anyway, as people do want the performance of a laptop but also combined with the portability of the tablet.

Desktop computers will still be around for a long time yet, and I think a lot of people will still use both for different applications for a little while longer yet.

5. SirJoe

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +6 / -0
    Tablets won't replace laptops, like laptops didn't replace desktops. Sure a 2 in 1 laptop might have their market but it still can't do everything a regular laptop can. 2 in 1 laptops have barely got onto the market to try and make any real previsions of the future. We just have to wait and see how they will evolve.

6. coolyfrost

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +9 / -0
    Currently I don't think that tablets will replace laptops anywhere in the near future. The only device that I can see doing that would be the Surface line. However, most tablets are dropping in popularity anyways, so I don't think they will overtake laptops unless there really is a big boom in technology in the near future of some kind.

7. Alexandoy

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +18 / -0
    I have seen a laptop with a detachable monitor but I'm not sure if that is converted into a tablet. But maybe it is for what is the purpose of detaching the monitor? However, it gives me some thinking because a laptop and a tablet are 2 different animals, they have a different operating system. The laptop is a close relative of the desktop so Windows 10 or Mac is it while the tablet falls under the family of smart phones. But if that is already in the market, I guess that would be attractive to the young generation.

8. krishatg

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +14 / -0
    For now it is very early to say that 2 in 1 laptops can replace laptops or tabs both. Because their configuration is such which is between both as in the case of size of the screen , their memory , their usabilty etc. But may be in future time it may develop like it may provide more flexibility and some other things with it that they may overtake simple laptops and tabs. But for now it is looking difficult.

9. SirJoe

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +6 / -0
    Very well put, a tablet is like a smartphone that is on steroids, and a laptop is like a desktop that has been stunted at birth but can go anywhere because of it. The thing that stands in the way of these 2 in 1 laptops from taking over is their lack of computing power. If you do very light computing work it would be a good solution.

10. coolyfrost

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +9 / -0
    I think that this is not such a big issue for the common user. Previously in this thread, I mentioned the Surface line of tablets made by Microsoft. The Surface tablets are 2 in 1s and they pack a lot of power in a very small package. The Surface Book is an even better example, as you can take out just the screen to have a tablet or instead use the keyboard as well, which packs an integrated graphics card inside that gives the Surface the power of a regular laptop. That sounds like the perfect 2 in 1 to me.

11. masterbusiness

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +32 / -0
    2-in-1 laptops are definitely good choice especially to those who work in the field since it is portable, lightweight and it has features that can hasten up transmission of information or outputs. However, it still could not replace the units with high memory capacity.

12. djweb

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +14 / -0
    Well, I think as long as I can attach a keyboard to my tablet, I don't see what the fuss is about all these 2-in-1 laptops.

They have novelty value, but ultimately when I bought the keyboard for my tablet, I thought I was being really smart. But, I have never used it. Laptops are still comfortable for "work" and tabs are still great for "personal" computing.

13. PrashantD

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +24 / -0
    Well said @djweb@djweb, completely agree with you. It really depends upon the purpose for what the device will be used. I have a Windows tablet, but have hardly used it for working. It is a good alternate to laptop for very basic stuff, but really couldn't get going it with for work. Laptops can be used while travelling, but it isn't as portable as a tablet. For me, 2-in-1 concept is as good as something which is bits-and-pieces which is not good at all as one will never be able to fully utilize it. I prefer to go with special devices, that is tablet/phone while travelling and laptop for work. It is much easier that way. :)

14. coolyfrost

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +9 / -0
    I hope that you don't mind me asking, but what do you do for work? I think that any 2 in 1 laptop should be great for doing work related activities such as Word, Excel or browsing the internet. Of course, if you do more intensive work on PCs, 2 in 1s are probably not very appropriate.

15. PrashantD

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +24 / -0
    Yes, it may be. More of my work revolves around emailing and programming of which emails can be handled by tablet while programming needs a keyboard at least. Whenever my major part of work is emailing, I rarely carry my tablet, phone does the job and for programming, a laptop is required. So, if I go with a 2-in-1, I'd have to carry it regardless of work, and my touchscreen preferences. I'd have to keep it with me which in itself is a hassle.

16. coolyfrost

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +9 / -0
    Yeah, that's what I thought. In your case I can definitely see why a 2-in-1 might not be advantageous for you. However, for lighter users I think that a 2-in-1 is definitely a great device to have as it is portable, flexible and functional.

17. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    I think one of the cool features of 2-in-1 laptops is that some models have an option for a hard disk which is not available in tablet. So, it will give the same experience of a laptop I guess. Tablet function would be an added advantage. I have seen a 2-in-1 laptop of a company called 'iball' which also provides an option for a hard disk. It costs around $250 without a hard disk.

18. steve taylor

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +25 / -0
    Yes 2 in 1 laptop is very good for computing purpose and it is very cheaper laptop and it is easily available online and offline number of company made 2 in 1 laptop in India Micromax maid different different model 2 in 1 laptop and it is very cheaper day by day smartness of 2 in 1 laptop is increasing and everybody want to buy 2 in 1 laptop.

19. Doominic anderson

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +21 / -0
    Yes,2-in-1 laptops is the future of computing machines,because not only computing field but every field needs evolution and enhance the capability of working.
    Initially punch card was used in computers,then transistors,after that IC replaces the transistors and now laptop is mostly used by the people,so, day by day features and capability of computers increases that's why 2-in-1 laptop may be the future and it is also used by people these days.

20. dcristo

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +37 / -0
    What is a 2-in-1 laptop? Are those the new ones that allow you to remove the screen?

I use my laptop more than a desktop these days, because it's convenient connecting it to a TV for gaming and general web usage.