Are bookmarking sites any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorna

Yellow Belt
I have been looking at sites such as delicious, digg and reddit, and bookmarking articles we have written on our own site. It seems to be working fairly well. Does anyone have any experience or tips about using these sites? It all seemed a bit confusing to me at first.

We have also tried squidoo, my space and you tube for a bit of self-promotion!;D

DevonWebsites

Yellow Belt
I had a great deal of success getting traffic using stumbleupon.com (a social bookmarking website). None of the traffic resulted in sales and it was all un targeted. Our website is for people who own shops to source new product lines and using social bookmarking generated us a lot of traffic from the general public.

I think in answer to your question yes it works but your website and products needs to be of general interest to everyone and not a nieche (unless its a nieche that may appeal to everyone).

Lorna

Yellow Belt
I agree WWT. Since I made the above post I realised this - I had a massive traffic spike, and then it all disappeared.

DevonWebsites

Yellow Belt
I agree WWT. Since I made the above post I realised this - I had a massive traffic spike, and then it all disappeared.
Social Networking seems to be a bit like a pyramid scheme. You need to keep at it and get a many "friends" as possible to keep it going. Once you have a big network you can book mark a different page from your site every few days to keep the traffic going.

Did you manage to convert sales when you had your a spike in traffic?

Lorna

Yellow Belt
No!! Initally someone else stumbled our site, and told me about it, but after a day or so nothing else happened. My forum got plenty of hits but no new members, but a lot of traffic semmed to come from outside the UK, and as the site and forum are both UK based, I think this may be a possible reason that nothing further happened.

I have tried loads of social networking sites, but they take so much work that I just don't have time to put the effort in to be honest. Trying to keep on top of my own site and forum, as well as SEO on the site just takes up so much time. I am a member of a few forums (such as this one!) and have probably had more success with this than social networking sites.

Have you any success with social networking?

DevonWebsites

Yellow Belt
No!! Initally someone else stumbled our site, and told me about it, but after a day or so nothing else happened. My forum got plenty of hits but no new members, but a lot of traffic semmed to come from outside the UK, and as the site and forum are both UK based, I think this may be a possible reason that nothing further happened.

Actually, it looks to me as if you stumbled your own site.
On the stumbleupon page for your site:
http://www.stumbleupon.com/url/www.tickeverybox.com/
It says tickeverybox discovered this is real estate so you were the first one to stumble your site. You have two reviews one from me and one from you from a couple of months ago.

notvaliduser

Yellow Belt
I have been looking at sites such as delicious, digg and reddit, and bookmarking articles we have written on our own site. It seems to be working fairly well. Does anyone have any experience or tips about using these sites? It all seemed a bit confusing to me at first.

We have also tried squidoo, my space and you tube for a bit of self-promotion!;D
I had to go back to the first post. :) it had been a long 'conversation' between Lorna and WW.

Anyway my answer is , yes ! I have used most of them and for a certain period of time these kind of systems can even increase you traffic with 60% , but after a while the traffic goes down to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.