Basic elements of an SEO friendly site

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

OldWelshGuy

More and more often I am seeing people trying to SEO sites that have been built. Only yesterday I took a client on, for a couple of his sites, and he tells me he is having another built, and when it is finished, he will want that optimised also.

Lots of people try to run before they walk, and this is often hurting them seriously. With this in mind, I thought I would make a post about the ABSOLUTE BASICS of SEO success. The groundwork, the footing, the foundations. Get this right, and the rest will be a lot easier. For Example, do you know you do not need a tenth of the back-links to a well optimised site, than you do to a poorly optimised one?

1. do the keyword research. carry it out exhaustively, use overture, Wordtracker, AdWords tool etc, then test.

2. apply the best keywords/phrases to each page, and make the page content FOCUSSED on that phrase.

3. Title the page correctly using the key-phrase for the page. remember the page title serves two masters, the search engines, AND the searcher. if your page title is more attractive then you are likely to get a better click through

4. Write UNIQUE descriptions for each page, and use the key-phrases for that page, but describe the content ON THAT PAGE. so many people describe what the site is about rather than a page.

5. make your navigation as clear as possible, and use the keywords if it is possible to do so and remain usable. Obviously a link named 'blue widgets' is better than 'more options'.

6. If your site covers multiple topics, then build the file and navigation structure into a pyramid. So you have a main index page in the root folder. You then have a folder for each topic. Inside each folder, you have another index page. So what you end up with (assuming your site covers say 4 topics) is 4 folders, inside each folder are the information pages that all cross link to each page within their folder, and ALL link back to BOTH the folder index page AND the main index page. The index pages in the folder also link to the sub pages, and the main index page.

What have created here is a nice clean architecture that will tell the search engines that there are 4 topics within your site, and that there are 4 sub main pages, 1 for each topic. there is also an overall main page which is about the theme.

These are the basics, but if you do this, then you will have the structures in place to make the ongoing optimisation a lot easier. Your page rank will structure itself properly which should help keep you out of the Supplemental index, and your hierarchical order of importance will be communicated with the search engines.

notvaliduser

Yellow Belt
Great article OWG , thanks for the info, I use most of the methods you listed above so I think I'm allright with this one :) next is : go for the links ?

O

OldWelshGuy

Glad you like DS, it wasn't intendd to be an article, I thought I would start a thread instead of just replying :) But as I got typing it sort of grew. All off the cuff first draft,so apologies for any errors lOL.

LINKS hmmm that is another post ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.