Before I send this in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtrafile

Yellow Belt
I'm not a big hardware expert here so I'm going to need some help from you.

I have an Acer Aspire 5601AWLMi as I've posted about this before, and here's the error I'm having now. After the ACER boot screen (where you can enter the BIOS/setup), a short line of random characters show up. On any key I click, it blinks for a while and shows the same characters again.

I'm going to send it in but I need to describe which part of the computer is failing. I'm thinking it's the hard drive but if anyone knows what it is and can explain that would be very useful so I don't get a failed laptop back again.

Thanks ;)

shadoweater

Yellow Belt
BIOS

Try resetting the BIOS to factory defaults. This may help.

Can you boot to CDs etc rather than the hard drive.

If you grab a copy of the ultimate boot CD you can test your own system with respects to RAM and hard drive. The HDD tools are released by the manufacturers of the drives themselves so just set the right scanner off and it will say if its faulty.

The ultimate boot cd can also scan your memory (RAM) for errors which can further help you diagnose the issue.

Has the system been droppped?

Get the CD from http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ and burn the ISO to a disk

Let us know how you get on, you might save yourself some time plus you can learn some tricks to diagnose faults

Peace

xtrafile

Yellow Belt
The BIOS is at factory defaults as of now.

I did boot to CDs, installing a few different OS's before coming back to the default boot disk. They install fine, but all show this random message.

I'll try to get the boot CD downloaded and see if it can diagnose the error.

Thanks

shadoweater

Yellow Belt
Knoppix / KUbuntu

Try running these off the CD, see if they boot ok. See what you get and post replies on here

Peace

xtrafile

Yellow Belt
Alright did a few RAM tests and everything came out fine and no errors.
HDD test showed fine as well, nothing corrupted.

Seems to me everything looks ok; what's next?

xtrafile

Yellow Belt
It installs anything, and of course Live CDs are working no doubt, but it just has to show this random characters and not load anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.