Being fat does not mean your are unfit

Status
Not open for further replies.

jake

Yellow Belt
People can be obese yet physically healthy and fit and at no greater risk of heart disease or cancer than normal weight people, say researchers.
The key is being "metabolically fit", meaning no high blood pressure, cholesterol or raised blood sugar, and exercising, according to experts.
Looking at data from over 43,000 US people they found that being overweight per se did not pose a big health risk.
The results are published in the European Heart Journal.
In the study at the University of South Carolina, more than a third of the participants were obese.
Of these 18,500, half were assessed as metabolically healthy after a physical examination and lab tests.

source: bbc.co.uk/news/health-19474239

gerardrd11

White Belt
Nice point right there. I'm just wonder if they say metabolically healthy. If they are, should they be fit instead of obese in the first place? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm thinking this is the kind of information that could be misinterpreted if it was viewed by those affected. People might just look at it as another justification of being fat like "I'm fat but not unhealthy".

Research like this seems to be a risk to those it's about.

OceanXian

White Belt
this information I could use! very insightful! I could use this information...I just love this thread...very informative..thanks!

Swapnil

Yellow Belt
Yes completely agree, Being Fat doesn't mean a person is unhealthy there are many of my friends who are fat but can show more flexibility and healthiness than that of the persons with a slim body.

Status
Not open for further replies.