Belkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephanie

Yellow Belt
We had some problems with our Belkin router last week, which we finally decided was due to a hardware fault on our router, so switched to a new one - only to find it needed a different type of encryption key.

We have sorted it now, but it stuns me that they keep changing everything so quickly.

Now though I am finding that the Internet seems to be 'dropping' more often - is this likely to be a coincidence or might there be problems with the new one?

Do routers tend to create issues like this, or do lines just drop anyway (broadband).

Stephanie

gkd_uk

Yellow Belt
Hi Stephanie

What type of router do you have now?

From my experience, Netgear or Dlink are the best when it comes to reliability?

shadoweater

Yellow Belt
Steph,

This is normal for a new router

You will have to set this up unless you use the same SSID and WEP/WPA key.

The SSID is what you see when you search for wireless access points. The WEP/WPA is the encryption method used to stop unwanted connection and LOADS of idiots dont use this.

When you got your new router it probably had the SSID "NETGEAR" wheras youold router would not ("NETGEAR" is the standard SSID for Netgear routers and is a classic search for WiFi hackers)

The fact that your connection is "dropping" may be down to a missconfigured router and you should contact Netgear regarding this. There may be a firmware update for your router which should ONLY be done over a WIRED connection.

You should also reseach to see if this is a prevelant issue for the model of router and you (ideally) should have researched prior to your purchase to see if they are decent systems.

Let us know how you get on

Peace

Status
Not open for further replies.