Books that make an Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scorpio

Not necessarily your favourite, but books that make an impression.

off the top off my head

"Lord of the Flies" - William Golding. Can there be a more tragic moment than when Piggy broke his glasses? :cry:

"Cold Comfort Farm" I didn't know what this was going to be like..but made a lasting impression on me as a brilliantly funny read.

"Stange Meeting" - Susan Hill. I have never read such a poignant story of the first world war.

"Three men in a Boat" - Jerome K Jerome. A wonderfully escapist, funny book. Evocative of its time.

A

Agent Sizzle

I guess you mean on a personal level?

Some books that had a huge impact on me:

Bhagavad Gita - this had a very profound impact, because it inspired me to enter the commune and remain within that community for some years. I hate it intensely now and will never read it again, but have kept my copies as a reminder / wake-up call.

Haruki Murakami's "Wild Sheep Chase" - the book that finally showed me that fiction could be rewarding and utterly absorbing.

But the one that has had the greatest impact, from the first reading at the age of about 13 and whose relevance becomes ever more strikingly obvious and urgent with every passing year is (of course)...

Marx & Engels Communist Manifesto.

P

Pondgirl

Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert Heinlen and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S Thompson because I'm such an unmitigated old hippy.

Also, Cannery Row - John Steinbeck; The Healing Power of Illness - Thorwald Dethlefsen & Rudiger Dahlke (very powerful) and Aromatherapy for the Spirit - Gabriel Mojay, there is no-one better IMO.

R

Roland Butter

For me, it has to be Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors by Carl Sagan.

S

soul17

The Enchanted Wood.............Enid Blyton.
That book had me spellbound when i was young, left a lasting impression on me.

L

LydiaDustbin

I remember being shocked by the brutal reality of The Choir Boys by Joseph Wambaugh many years ago.

M

marietta honeybun

I remember reading the novel Deliverance by James Dickey when I was about 22 and my heart was actually racing with fright at the descriptions of the men being hunted. I just brought home to me that the world is not the safe place it appears to be when you are out of your element.

W

Wild Bill

Pondgirl said:
Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert Heinlen and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S Thompson because I'm such an unmitigated old hippy.

Also, Cannery Row - John Steinbeck; The Healing Power of Illness - Thorwald Dethlefsen & Rudiger Dahlke (very powerful) and Aromatherapy for the Spirit - Gabriel Mojay, there is no-one better IMO.
I read a few Heinlein years ago,one I have kept and read three times is 'Time enough for love',set in 2053 the hero is the oldest man alive and he lives through 23 centuries.

Y

YorkshireLass

Surviving The sword, Prisoners of the Japanese 1942-45 by Bryan MacArthur

One of the saddest books I've ever read, but I just couldn't put it down.
The title says it all without the need for any explanation.

YL :cat:

R

Roland Butter

I'm halfway through I Want To Live by Nina Lugovskaya. It tells the story of life in Stalinist Russia through the eyes of a child who kept a diary. It's similar in construction to The Diary of Anne Frank.

I don't want to spoil anyone else's enjoyment of this most moving and harrowing work. What I will say is, if you fail to be moved this account of a brutual regime, then you're not human.

I

Ian Mac

If it comes to thinking about what book stands out most, It's Animal Farm.

It is a brilliant story in it's own right, before we make the connection to the Russian Revolution.

M

malc the hammer

My Argos catalog makes a good impression if it's dropped from high enough!!

Sorry about that, I couldn't resist it!!

Malc.

Status
Not open for further replies.