My 2 Cents Bravest seo change

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevonWebsites

Yellow Belt
Well I think I have just finished the bravest set of changes I have ever made as an SEO.

A lot of the pages on our main website went suplimental in G and we experienced a drop in traffic, all of our targeted search engine placements were still in place but we stopped getting traffic diredty to our product pages.

Something had to be done, quickly and in a big way. I figured the best way forward was a clean break from the current site.

I changed the structure of our main website by flattening our catalogues to make every page and product one less click closer to our homepage. With the changes it is now possible to go to any category from any category. Our old main categories were handicraft, carvings, stone, pottery & furniture which didnt make an awful lot of sense.

I changed the name of every single webpage from cat=1?prod=1.php to keyword enriched html pages like wholesale-wooden-buddhas-p-1.html. I have also created another name field for all of our categories to seperate the menus from the name of the pages. (The link displayed on the menu if something like "carvings - wooden animals" and the page title and product names are "wholesale wooden animals carvings".)

I have set up 301 redirects from all of the old pages to the new ones, setup 301's for removed products and removed categories.

I had to make changes to every page on our 25 domains so all of our own links are correctly pointing to the new pages. Since its all generated code I have to change about 100 pages in the CMS with hard coded links and rewrite several modules on each web site to pick up the new names.

I have created new sitemaps for google and removed the old ones.

Its taken me the best part of two days, I have checked my current visitors reports from Cpanel and G & Y are correctly following the redirects. Its just a matter of time now, probably a couple of weeks or maybe months to see if this works as well as I want it too.

Has anyone else had problems recentally? What steps have you had to take to resolve your problems?

Lorna

Yellow Belt
Blimey! I am still getting my head around basic SEO stuff like meta titles etc!

What you've done sound great, but I'm probably not the best person to comment any further. Since I have started trying to tackle my own SEO, Google seem to visit my site a lot more, if that is anything to go by!!

notvaliduser

Yellow Belt
WWT I think you have done a great job. Indeed a brave change , I hope everything will work allright for you. Let us know how everything came out.

DevonWebsites

Yellow Belt
WWT I think you have done a great job. Indeed a brave change , I hope everything will work allright for you. Let us know how everything came out.

Its early days at the moment, the redirects are in place and I can see the SE spiders following the redirects to the correct pages. I am going to have a big duplicate content problem until the spiders have finished indexing the new changes until the old pages are gone from the indexes.

I can give you a bit of an example: try this search -
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4GGLJ_enGB209GB209&q=wholesale+clearance+lines&meta=

My new page is returned at #3 with the old page at #4. These pages are very similar, the have the same products listed, all the anchor text and urls have changed but 90% of the page is probably the same.

notvaliduser

Yellow Belt
Yes you are , but we have to consider the fact that this month I was away due to my exams. Soon I will find out the results... :)

notvaliduser

Yellow Belt
:) yeah , that would have been great if I could have used google for my exams. I don't have a too good written french but I can speak quite well , you would be surprised.

Lorna

Yellow Belt
Good luck with your results. When do you get them? ( I wish I could have asked that in French!)

notvaliduser

Yellow Belt
That is great WWT ! Congratulations ! :)

Good luck with your results. When do you get them? ( I wish I could have asked that in French!)
Well I know my results : 9.39 per total

10 Romanian Literature Interview
10 French Interview
10 Sports
8.25 Romanian Literature Written
8.50 History
9.60 English

Status
Not open for further replies.