News/ Info Brussels Blow To Microsoft Upheld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darksat

Yellow Belt
A European court has turned down an appeal by Microsoft to delay hard-hitting sanctions from the European Commission.
The US software giant went to the European Court of First Instance to try to get the penalties for abuse of monopoly suspended.

Microsoft wanted to delay the opening up of aspects of its Windows software system to rivals, and a record EU fine.

The court dismissed Microsoft's plea "in its entirety".

Microsoft said after the judgement that it remained confident of coming to an agreement with the Commission.

'Irreparable damage'

In March, the European Commission imposed the sanctions on Microsoft after finding that it had abused the virtual monopoly of its Windows computer operating system.

The Commission demanded Microsoft change its business practices, and levied a fine of 497m euros (£331m; $613m), the biggest it had ever imposed in an anti-trust case.

Full story
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4117217.stm

alexandru

Yellow Belt
L-Man said:
Ouch,
This is quite a big price to pay for being on top.
Funny, I thought MS payed the price for breaking the rules of fair concurency. I didn't think EU punishes people/companies for "being on top"... or am I wrong?
:)

L

L-Man

alexandru said:
Funny, I thought MS payed the price for breaking the rules of fair concurency. I didn't think EU punishes people/companies for "being on top"... or am I wrong?
:)
In the business world my friend nothing is as it seems :(. I personally don't see what is bad in them selling their products in a bundle but you obviously see that as breaking rules.
I see it as open market competition but as usual when you can't survive the heat of the open market, you go crying to Daddy for help :)

alexandru

Yellow Belt
L-Man said:
In the business world my friend nothing is as it seems :(. I personally don't see what is bad in them selling their products in a bundle but you obviously see that as breaking rules.
The fact that I see that is not important... but the fact that UE sees the same is. So ok, you can call me a Linux fanatic :), and blame my dislike of MS products on that but what had UE with MS? I bet they're not all Linux users... :) in fact I bet they actually DO use Windows & Co. products. Nevertheless they found MS quilty of breaking basic economical rules, more specifically the rule of Fair Trading. C'mon L-Man a monopoly is not and will never by any good, all it produces is lower quality products at higher prices, all this having a negative impact on the consumer. What could you possibly like in a monopol? The fact that it produced a browser that is of lower quality than all the borwsers I know (and that includes Firefox, Opera, Netscape, Galeon, Konqueror, Links, Lynx and many others...) yet managed to have that browser used by 90% of the world in spite of the fact that is a magnet for viruses, exploits & co. ?

Unless you actually own your monopol I don't see how could you like one...
Do you have a monopo L-Man? :p

L

L-Man

alexandru said:
Unless you actually own your monopol I don't see how could you like one...
Do you have a monopo L-Man? :p
I wish I hd one :( I think monopoly is bad but MS hasn't monopoly of anything you've just made comparisons yourself. Creativity and inovation is a good thing. I guess users just like what they are getting is why they are still using MS products.
There is no point in argueing this many have come but few have stayed. MS has has a staying power but if they are being unfare don't get sulky get even with all the freewares around, as you can see nothing beats a staying power of MS. I agree they don't have the best products in town but they try.

alexandru

Yellow Belt
I never said MS is going to dissapear anytime soon, if ever.
But Linux is finding his way "from niche to the mainstream" to quote IDC.
BEAVERTON, Ore. December 15, 2004 The Open Source Development Labs
(OSDL), a global consortium dedicated to accelerating the adoption of Linux
in the enterprise, today announced the completion of a global Linux market
share and forecast study conducted by market research firm IDC that predicts
the overall market revenue for desktops, servers, and packaged software
running on Linux will exceed $35 billion by 2008.
Read the full article

L

L-Man

Hmm....... :)
I am sure this is real whatever the gains or loss only time will tell. :)
Happy New Year :D

Status
Not open for further replies.