Help Me/Question Buying Hosting From A Reseller - A Good Idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Party Animal

White Belt
Buying hosting from a reseller always seems cheaper than buying directly from a hosting company.

It seems too good to be true?

I pay the equivalent of nearly $30/month for a hosting package with PHP and MySQL from a international hosting company. A reseller quoted me $5.00 for that.

I mean if I chose to use a reseller, what happens to my site if my reseller decided to go backpacking round the world for a few years??

Or am I missing out on a bargain?

darkstar_tfd

Yellow Belt
Resellers have contracts with DataCenters Companies, so you should not be worried about your website from this point of view,you should have a backup available most of the time.

Resellers are a good option if they have a history in this domain. An older provider is more trustworthy.

JLHC

Yellow Belt
Do you mean those resellers which purchases reseller hosting and starts their own "company"? I do not recommend you to go with them as you are actually taking a risk.

The main thing is that they do not have any root access to the server and as such they are not able to do anything if there is any unfortunate incident happens.

Also, there are many fly-by-night hosting "companies" which are running from a reseller account. The chances of being scammed is much higher as anybody can just signed up with a reseller hosting account and start selling hosting through their own "company".

Last edited:

Luq

Yellow Belt
Do you mean those resellers which purchases reseller hosting and starts their own "company"? I do not recommend you to go with them as you are actually taking a risk.

The main thing is that they do not have any root access to the server and as such they are not able to do anything if there is any unfortunate incident happens.

Also, there are many fly-by-night hosting "companies" which are running from a reseller account. The chances of being scammed is much higher as anybody can just signed up with a reseller hosting account and start selling hosting through their own "company".
I quite agree with you, buying hosting package with a sub-reseller is not a good option.

HIG-Jerry

White Belt
I too would suggest staying away from companies that are reselling and don't have root access to their machines.

merry1

White Belt
Resellers are good for small website as if you are not keen about traffic and other sensitive issue like traffic and up time, you can go with the reseller but if you have a business website you should opt for reputed web hosting company.

Status
Not open for further replies.