Cats to help thwart net spammers

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

csilla

Pictures of homeless cats and dogs could soon be helping users get access to secure websites and services.

By using pictures that humans can easily distinguish, researchers hope to foil computerised efforts to get at valuable web services that perhaps offer e-mail accounts or sell tickets for popular shows.

The research plan to use pictures was showcased at Microsoft's annual Techfest - a conference that gives the software giant's researchers chance to publicise what they are working on.

Cat calls

One of the most popular research projects at Techfest, called Asirra, involved two cats looking for new homes.

Often when users open a new webmail account, or buy tickets online or try to get access to any kind of secure content they are confronted with a test that tries to ensure only humans can login.

These can take the form of a series of letters and numbers shown in a distorted grid - known as a Captcha - Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart.

Screengrab of Asirra homepage, Microsoft
Humans can spot cats but computers may struggle
These try to ensure that those logging in are human rather than software in a bid to thwart malicious hackers who use automated scripts to get at valuable information or services.

source:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6426445.stm

Finaly MS comes out with a good idea ;D

DevonWebsites

Yellow Belt
That is actually a very good idea. I have noticed when submitting my sites to directories that I fail initially to correctly type the catpcha information corectly about a quarter of the time.

C

csilla

Yes, i hate these cave paintings too. And maybe some of these cats or dogs wil find a home.

Status
Not open for further replies.