Changes Happening On Radio 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Reynolds

The link I have just put up is part one of a 1997 TV documentary about Radio 1 called 'The Radio 1 Story' broadcast on BBC2 to celebrate 30 years of R1, from its inception through to it's downturn in fortune under Matthew Bannister. I thought it was quite interesting (in six parts all of which are avalable once you have seen part 1).

Watching it made me think again about how R2 is going, and what was said about Chris Evans towards the end of the documentary may well prove to be prophetic for R2. Worth a look, with contributions from Johnnie Walker, Simon Bates, Tony Blackburn, Noel Edmunds, DLT, and Adrian Juste, who apart from being a crap broadcaster, also comes across as a miserable bar steward.

Peelie, too of course, giving his own inimitable take on things

I

Itchythekipper

Hello all

The direction that R2 and especially 6M is heading is concerning me too. I didn't realise that many of the so called 'personalities' (or SCP for short) being parachuted into the BBC network belong to the same agent. That kinda stinks. LD should explain why that is.

Still, it's the music that really counts for me. It's perhaps of greater concern that the BBC risks forsaking diversity and niche/minority interest programming for 'one size fits all' blandness. Maybe it is a response to govt pressure to deliver higher ratings - who knows. But it's a shame, cos R2 and 6M were both brilliant a couple of years ago.

M

Mike Reynolds

Itchy

Very similar was happening with Radio 1 back in the seventies. As Johnnie Walker says in his autobiography, he wanted to play album orientated music on his lunchtime show but he was restricted to mainly playing chart singles like the rest of the daytime jocks.

To my mind, nothing has changed, Daytime national radio is still full of 'here's one we played earlier and so did every other pop station on the dial' type music. Over 30 years after Johnnie's original complaint, the BBC still don't get the message.

OK, the ratings may be fine, but how many who have the radio on actually 'listen' to the drivel that is pumped out? I guess that is something we will never know, but it annoys me that presenters are not given more say in what they play, but then that would mean that they would have to be interested in the music which in many cases would be beyond them.

As former R1 controller, derek Chinnery once said to Johnnie Walker: 'The trouble with you Johnnie is that you are a DJ who is too into the music, man' - we can't be having that, can we?

I

Itchythekipper

Mike,

Agreed. I think the playlist (repeat pluggings) is a curse, which acts more as a service to the music industry than it does to the discerning listener. I guess that won't change in the foreseeable though, unfortunately!

Cheers

M

Mike Reynolds

Itchythekipper said:
Mike,

Agreed. I think the playlist (repeat pluggings) is a curse, which acts more as a service to the music industry than it does to the discerning listener. I guess that won't change in the foreseeable though, unfortunately!

Cheers
Absolutely right, and people wonder why record sales are down - I know downloads are doing OK, but what incentive is there to buy/download a song that you can hear ad infinitum, usually weeks before it's released, on the radio? By the time it's available listeners are, in general sick of it.

M

Mike Reynolds

I sadly doubt it will do any good, Red, but have signed anyway.

What annoys me greatly is that it is us who pay the Beeb's wages, and do they listen to us??? No, because, of course, they are so far up their own backsides that they believe THEY know best. Nothing will change unless we have another petition along the lines of everyone stopping listening to BBC radio for a week in protest, that may stop the powers that be being so bloody complacent and taking icence payers for granted, but it's a tall order.

M

Mike Reynolds

Thinking about it this rather reminds me of something Harry Enfield said in his book 'Harry Enfield and his Humerous Chums' - nothing to do with Smashie and Nicey, who, of course were blamed in some quarters for the 'death' of radio 1 in the 90s, which is complete nonsense - this is more to do with his character Grayson, and Mr Chomedley-Warner (played by John Glover).

They were involved in an advertising campaign for Mercury communications (now Cable and Wireless), and the ads were brilliantly funny, but the people who did these commercials were soon promoted and a new team of inexperienced writers drafted in who produced script after script of rubbish that Harry and John were not happy with 'we're moving your characters along' they were told by the inexperienced writers 'no you're not' said Harry 'you're ruining them, making them confusing and it's not working'.

I believe that is exactly what Lesley Douglas is doing to Radio 2, 'moving it along' i.e. ruining it. For example who wants a 'street music' show on R2, which still has David Jacobs. I'm all for variety, but LD is trying to be all things to all people and in trying to satisfy everyone she is pleasing no-one with the hotch-potch of shows that is on 2 at the moment. I relish the thought of shows and documentaries on a wide variety of artists/musical subjects, but a station that has Russel Brand and the Organist Entertains is just trying too hard, while at the same time not having a clue what it's trying to do or achieve.

Sorry for the rant.

Mike

O

Oldraver

Rant away, Mike .

I do believe that Nigel O and David Jacobs belong to R2 more than Russell Brand and the like. That mindless crap, belongs on Radio 1.

I'm happy to listen to Sinatra and Radiohead in the same show..but not mindless drivel spouted by "hilarious and wacky" broadcasters.

M

Mike Reynolds

Exactly, Raver, and, as I say, what is this 'street music' series doing on R2? R1 material surely?

S

soul17

I think after reading that link from LEE, re the agent that looks after these new faces on R2, then obviously some one is getting a back hander.
Look at some of the other faces on this link and put a few bob on a couple of them to be the next mindless, non musical, z list celeb to get a slot on R2 eh.

I

Itchythekipper

I know nothing of how the BBC conducts its business or what accepted practice is in showbiz, but: does the Beeb's own regulations/guidance allow a disproportionate number of SCPs (so-called personalities) from the same agent to be employed by the BBC? You would have thought it anti-competitive or something...

L

Lord Evan Elpuss

Well, I'm keeping the R2 messageboard mods in gainful employment! The following was removed from a thread lamenting the loss of Stuart Maconie's Saturday show (not started started by me) Perhaps, they have had enough of me booting there 'Illustrious' :shock: leader all about the place!. It's good to see a few other familiar names on there!

Indeed it will be missed. Of course the ending of Stuart's show now means that on Saturdays, after 'Sounds Of The 60s' has finished, I'm unlikely to be able to switch on Radio 2 again until 11:00pm when Bob Harris' show begins. The only oasis in this new listening desert for me will be Liz Kershaw's show over on 6 music, which at two hours, is too short IMO. Yes there was some good music played at times, not least in the 'Critical list' spot, especially when this show first started with a full three hours. Why did he ever lose that ½ hour from his show? Time to http://www.pictogame.com/play/game/UGgdpwBcy4VD_kick-girl I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.