.com vs any dot domains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neon

Yellow Belt
I came this question to my mind. As we all know, .com is a very common domain. But what's after it? I mean what's next on the rankings after .com? And which are you using? .com? .net? local dot (.ph, .ch, .kr)? or others? For me im using .net as it sounds so professional and suits my blog. Im planning to get one before christmas a .net domain but im only using .co.nr(free domain) now because i don't have enough funds to start with. Well so much for that. Every opinion counts on this thread.

JLHC

Yellow Belt
For me, it starts with .com and followed by .net, .org, .biz, .info, .us and followed by .cctld. ;)

Last edited:

odls

Yellow Belt
Figures from a couple of years ago showed-

.com Commercial
.org Noncommercial
.edu US accredited postsecondary institutions
.gov United States Government
.uk United Kingdom
.net Network services
.ca Canada
.de Germany
.jp Japan
.fr France
.au Australia
.us United States
.ru Russian Federation

But, in a recent item by InternetNews (this month), they report the following, which shows a massive increase for .cn -

In case you needed further proof of China's breakneck pace of growth, VeriSign is reporting that the .cn Top Level Domain (TLD) has now become the second biggest TLD, surpassing Germany's .de.

The stats are part of VeriSign's ongoing look at how some TLD registrations are performing.

For the third quarter of this year, growth rates were 76 percent for China's country code .cn compared to the same time last year.

Although 76 percent growth is impressive, the stats suggest that growth has slowed a bit in this realm for China. Last year, for example, VeriSign reported that registrations for the .cn TLD were up by 467 percent over the same time in 2006. It was enough to put China in second place by surpassing .uk, which had held the number two position after .com for several years.

VeriSign also tallied 8 percent growth for .de year-over-year and 14 percent for .uk. over the same, year-ago quarter.
Overall, the registrar counted 174 million domain name registrations across all TLD's, which is an increase of 19 percent over the third quarter of 2007.

County Code Top Level Domain Names (ccTLDs) were on a tear in the third quarter, up by 26 percent on a year-over-year basis to hit 68.9 million registered domain names.

By contrast, .com and .net domain name registrations totaled 89.4 million, up by 16 percent on a year-over-year basis. VeriSign reports .com and .net together, so a breakout of the two domains is not something that VeriSign could provide.

However, the top ten domain TLD's for the quarter were: .com, .cn, .de, .net, .org, .uk, .info, .nl (The Netherlands), .eu (European Union), and .biz.

detoam

White Belt
Personally I use
.com
.net
.info
and .ca

Any one of those can rank high. Any domain can rank high as I see it. It highly depends on the owner and what he wants to do. My first domain was a .net and it was ranked fairly good (considering it was my first) I got it to PR4 within first 3 months and it had pretty good Alexa ranking.

Status
Not open for further replies.