Differences between HTML and TPL

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

criserb

Can you explain me how can I make a tpl from a html file and which are the characteristics of a tpl file. Why some programmers prefer to use tpl and some one prefer HTML. Which are the differences between them ?

alexandru

Yellow Belt
criserb said:
Can you explain me how can I make a tpl from a html file and which are the characteristics of a tpl file. Why some programmers prefer to use tpl and some one prefer HTML. Which are the differences between them ?
sure:
on a msdos console: ren file.html file.tpl
on an Windows Exporer: press F2 and change the extension into .tpl
on a *nix box: mv file.html file.tpl
:D

Now, leaving the jokes aside, tpl means a lot of things but what you were referring to is probably a web page template. Now, that could be any templating system, even though it is most common used for smarty for example.
To get an ideea of what a templating system is and how it works, see this site: http://smarty.php.net

Basicly the essence of any templating system is to take a template :) and replace special pieces of strings (also called variables) with the actual data. Which are exactly the respective pieces of strings, only the developer of the sript using the template can tell you, as he/she is the one who knows the available data that can be feed to the template.

--
Alex
Web Hosting & Domain Names UK
Webmaster Forums
Internet Access Web Hosting

O

ovi

Maybe

Alex, maybe will be utile to open a thread about smarty. I understand that you are the expert in this thing :)
Please guide us in this world.

Ovi

alexandru

Yellow Belt
ovi said:
Alex, maybe will be utile to open a thread about smarty. I understand that you are the expert in this thing :)
Please guide us in this world.

Ovi
Just read the forum Ovi.... a Smarty thread was already started... by me indeed.. :) but not as an expert, but as someone still trying to learn more about it.... Indeed I have used it a lot lately in all my projects but, I start now to wonder, is this it? Is this the best templating engine there is... ? And honestly I don't know... I'm still looking for the answer...

--
Alex
Web Hosting & Domain Names UK
Webmaster Forums
Internet Access Web Hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.