Do you actually need to submit to Yahoo or Google?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
I saw a post by a newbie at another forum asking for how he can get his site listed in Yahoo and Google.
Perhaps because I am quite old on the new, I do not submit my new sites to search engines, I just link to my site from some of my strong sites and within a few days (sometime even hours) my new site is in Yahoo and Google.

For those of you who submit your sites to search engines, how do you go about it? Is this really necessary this days? I think the crawlers from all the main search engines are so fast this days that if you just announce your site at say digg for example, you will have then crawling yoru site withing a few hours.

I'm I wrong? please enligten me.

TeamPlayer

Yellow Belt
I think you are right, Temi. I've always submitted to the likes of Google and Yahoo, it takes very little time to do. But I think once a site is on Digg or 'announced' in some other way the important engines will soon find it and index it.

This is why I smile when I see companies asking for payment for submissions to search engines, there should be no need to do it.

SenseiDesign

Yellow Belt
I never submitted my portfolio for example but I'm indexed in yahoo and in google so there is no really need to pay money for it like TeamPlayer said.

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
This is why I smile when I see companies asking for payment for submissions to search engines, there should be no need to do it.
You will be surprised the level of ignorance about search engines among small business owners.

Submission to directories, yes, but submission to search engine, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.