Welcome to WebmasterServe!

FREE TO JOIN! Join us now to engage in informative and friendly discussions about Webmastering, SEO, SEM, Internet Marketing, Programming, Graphic Design, Online Jobs and more. What are you waiting for? Ready to join our friendly community? It takes just one minute to register.

Dismiss Notice

Join WebmasterServe Forums 
Join the discussion! Have a better idea or an opinion? It takes just one minute to register Click Here to Join

Help Me/Question Do You Ever Try To Take Part In Forums You Are Not Comfortable With?

Discussion in 'General Forum Management Topics' started by networld, Jan 26, 2016.

1. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    I think it would be wise to stay away from discussions where you can’t contribute anything significantly. Adding something you are not clear about will only create confusion in the whole group. Having said that, nowadays everybody is like an encyclopedia and we can access any type of information at the click of a mouse. So, you can also learn the subject well and take part in a discussion I guess. By doing so you can also enrich your knowledge level.

Forums are excellent platforms for learning and clearing our doubts. So make use of it and take part in discussions where you think you can contribute new ideas or help somebody with a solution.

2. Alexandoy

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +18 / -0
    Understandably, I had to join our office forum since I am the one in charge of it. So although I am not at home with movies and celebrities, I had to involve myself. But before doing that, I made a short research on the current issues in the movie industry like who are the popular personalities and current popular movies in the theater. It's difficult to join a forum when your knowledge is very little so it is really uncomfortable. Sometimes I have to double check what I am posting for factual errors.

3. cheezcarls

cheezcarls It's Game Time!
    Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +162 / -0
    At first, we all started with no knowledge at all. It's just like that we are going back to school and learn more about that topic. When I was still new to SEO and affiliate marketing, I don't have any idea about it until I slowly learn more about them. I wasn't comfortable back then when trying to participate in a SEO and affiliate marketing forum. I took it one step at a time, made some mistakes, learn from it and get better. Right now, I am comfortable in sharing this topic to all of you. But if you wanna put me to a forum that is uncomfortable to me once again, I'll take that challenge just like the last time.

4. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    That is really amazing to know how to keep up with challenges of unknown topics. I think we are lucky to have Internet with us which is a sea of various kind of information. I believe there is nothing that is not present in Internet. Search engines made our job quite easier as you can find any information you want with a mouse click. So, there are no more ignorant people. With deliberate efforts we can gain knowledge on any subject we wish. Taking part in forums help us widen our knowledge base and after sometime we would become competent enough to take part in discussions with great level of confidence.

5. pwarbi

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +25 / -0
    For me, a forum isn't just a place to go to discuss topics that your familiar with, but it's also a place you can join if you want to learn about a particular topic aswell.

Most members on a forum won't mind, in fact they'd even like the fact there's a new member on there that wants to learn and discuss the topic the forum is aimed at, as long as the person is genuinely interested, and isn't just there to spam the boards of course.

6. Ramakrishnan

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +11 / -0
    I am fully conversant with only few categories of this forum and hence my main concentration is on those areas only. But at the same time I watch closely the discussions going on other categories and I learn gradually many things about them and occasionally I could share some relevant thoughts.

7. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    Very well said. In fact every forum gives great learning opportunities for anybody. A forum is a great platform to clear our doubts we are not comfortable with. As you already said a person's interest to join the forum is the key factor. You can join any forum if you have genuine interest to learn from the discussion that is going on in the forum.

For example if you are not a tech savvy person that does not mean that you cannot join a tech forum. It would be a great place to clear off your doubts and troubleshoot your technology related issues.

8. pwarbi

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +25 / -0
    Some forums can be more friendly than others, and I think every forum at one time or another with have a few members that don't like having newbies in there, but everyone has got to start somewhere.

As soon as you join a forum and start to interact with the other members you soon get a clear picture of if you're going to be made welcome in there or not.

9. rayone

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +23 / -0
    I understand your point and try my best to stay away from all the posts which are out of my reach. However I have participated in few that I did not understand but wanted to learn and ask few questions about the topic. I feel unless I participate or try to understand there is no other way I will learn about them.

10. PingPongCall

White Belt

Ratings:
    +2 / -0
    There is actually a term for that mentality, I can't remember what it's called at the moment but it will probably come to me eventually. Anyway it basically means that people are willing to contribute to anything simply for the sake of doing so based on arbitrary knowledge they only recently obtained.

11. rayone

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +23 / -0
    @PingPongCall@PingPongCall I am sure you mean something like 'poking' in your mind as persons with that kind of mentality try to say something whether they know about that particular topic or not. I have confronted members on different forums with such mentality but I know how to avoid them.

12. patrickkenyi

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +4 / -0
    Typically I stay away from topics that I know nothing about. First of all, I just don't find the topics very interesting most of the time, which in most cases is why I knew nothing about them. Also, posting on such forums requires research on the topic before posting (otherwise you might write something ridiculous) and this is very time consuming. In addition to this, I have never been in a situation where I am forced to take part in a forum I am not comfortable with.

13. Manish Mishra

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +159 / -0
    Once i was sort of funds and just go to a friend's place. He told me about one forum posting job he saw on a forum. I ready to take that on but it was something very disappointing. The forum niche was SEO and i was nowhere stand with that.
    Somehow, i managed to write 100 posts in 2 hours but it was a stupid opportunity. I am sure i did not learn a thing but somehow manage to make the counting to go 100.

14. PingPongCall

White Belt

Ratings:
    +2 / -0
    Avoiding that seems like a super power........Are you a Wizard?

15. krishatg

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +14 / -0
    No I personally don't like to work for the forum i am not comfortable with. I always like to share my experience and skills which i can only do if the forum is related to my domain. I can give my views, my suggestions to only those forums with which i am comfortable with. With which i can share my experience, Provide some knowledge and take some of it.

16. PingPongCall

White Belt

Ratings:
    +2 / -0
    LOL well that gives you a leg up on most folks on the internet these days.

17. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    Wow, 100 posts in just two hours!, that too in an area where you are not comfortable with. That is just amazing I must say.

As a matter of fact SEO is quite a common topic nowadays and anybody doing online works or business is well aware of the term SEO. In fact as you said I was also not so familiar with this concept in my initial days of online career, but could learn about it through forums related to that. I think net is also flooded with a lot information about SEO. I am sure that by spending half to one your on net you can be an expert on SEO terms.

18. Vinaya

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +22 / -0
    I hang out in the forum which I don't feel comfortable. My only reason for doing this is to learn. We must be open to learn. No knowledge is wasted.

19. masterbusiness

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +32 / -0
    I think that there should never be discrimination in forum. Having members who are not familiar with a particular topic only means that a forum is interesting and a lot of people would want to learn in it.