Help Me/Question Do You Think Avatar Are Useful In Forums?

Do you think Avatar are useful in forums?

• Yes, definitely please make avatars available

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No, not really

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • It does not matter one way or the other

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DMo224

Yes, definitely! They do add character and individuality for the forum members.

However, there are many ways to handle avatars, as in being able to choose one when joining and having a custom one after x number of posts, and things like that.

B

Brandon

Well in a webmaster forum, no. But in a teen forum or something like that yes.

S

slayerx

i dunno i like mine on other forums, kinda gives the user artistic flair if you will ;)

D

DMo224

With the restrictions that can be put on avatars, like pixel size and file size, the avatar is not going to be something that is large and obtrusive. So, you won't need to worry about it being like a large graphic in a sig like you may see at some forums.

Actually, the avatar is a lot like branding. It gives other members something to recognize you by, and could be a downsized version of a logo from your site.

Though some may say that professional webmasters don't need to show off, and they're not teens.......well, a professional "whatever" does need to show their abilities (avatars may be a way), and webmasters are not old dried up people that don't want to have fun (they have their moments too).

rallyfan

Yellow Belt
well i kinda agree with you, but personally i think this skin looks to professional for avatars.

I honestly think that you can reconize members via theyr'e grammer and speech. :)

O

ooen

A lot of people seem to enjoy it, and as it's already mentioned, it helps to create sense of community.

O

ooen

What if you disable it for guests and SE? That can make save a lot of bandwidth, can't it?

O

ooen

slayerx said:
guests cant have them anyway they dont have acess to the user cp
Oh, no, that's not what I meant. Let me rephrase. You can set up your board so that members' avatars are invisible to guests and SE. As they register and sign in, they can see avatars. This saves a lot of bandwidth, doesn't it?

Y

yaldex

I think it gives an additional opportunity will distinguish from all the others

W

webhostingrebates

Avatars can be fun, but they really don't matter in my opinion.

F

faital

Hi, This post is very informative, however I would like some specific information. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.