Do you trust PayPal/Online credit card services?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtrafile

Yellow Belt
Was just wondering if you trust PayPal and online credit card services to carry your data and identity with them?

Seems to me to be safe but everyday I read articles about that changing.

What do you think?

gkd_uk

Yellow Belt
I use Paypal and trust it as well.

The main think to remember is, not to click on any fraudster emails which alot of people do.

For example:

An email comes in from Paypal support stating that you must click a link to login, come people will click but will not realise that this is a fraudster email.

I get lots of these emails but just forward them onto spoof@paypal.com

mikeinlincs

Yellow Belt
Thanks for the advice gkd_uk I nearly did that a few weeks back when I was busy.

We have to trust someone to do business online, having been scammed in the past using credit cards, I am very carefull

anyone else been scammed I would love to hear what your story is.

Mike

Candoto

Yellow Belt
As a payment system it's great but wouldn't like it being a seller.

At least Google Checkout will rein them in a bit. Just need Google to buy QXL or eBid now and consumer choice will have returned.

Stephanie

Yellow Belt
paypall vs google checkout

Candoto said:
As a payment system it's great but wouldn't like it being a seller.

At least Google Checkout will rein them in a bit. Just need Google to buy QXL or eBid now and consumer choice will have returned.
Hi, just found this thread and interested to hear about all this. We had a problem with our business credit card a few months ago although not sure whether it was created by an online weakness or not. However it does mean we use PayPal a lot more now - it is so quick and easy and you don't have to give away all your details.

But I will now look at Google checkout too!

shadoweater

Yellow Belt
I dont use paypal. Just standard credit/debit card details and I ONLY shop online at places I know are ok. I dont go to random sites to buy stuff so I reduce my chances of getting screwed

Peace

tony

Yellow Belt
I dont use paypal. Just standard credit/debit card details and I ONLY shop online at places I know are ok. I dont go to random sites to buy stuff so I reduce my chances of getting screwed

Peace
The best one to use online is Cahoot as it gives you a unique credit card number ofr each transaction. Paypal give you additional protection too. If someone does get your CC details and uses the online it is the bank that is liable not you, although it may be a pain to get the money back.

Stephanie

Yellow Belt
Paypal problems

I thought I liked Paypal but it has taken money out of my bank account and not paid the other person just because the credit card backing up the bank account was out of date (and no message to remind me).

So I entered the new backup credit card details and guess what, they will still take another few days to 'process' the payment.

So I am fed up with them now.

Also, there are issues with the 'guarantee' - all it really promises is that they will ask the other person to help you, from what I can see.

We have a note about all this on BizFace, where Alice says only credit cards offer any sort of security:

http://www.bizface.co.uk/bizfacefor...rts/10707-only-credit-cards-safe-only-uk.html

kind regards
Stephanie

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
I think paypal really take the mickey, one thing I noticed recently is that, when you tranfer money to them from a card, its recorded as "Donation to paypal" on your credit card. This I presume is to make it impossible for you to dispute that payment should a dispute be necessary.

tony

Yellow Belt
I use it now but it was a real pain to set up a business account lots of validation. When I finally got it working and started making payments they reversed them all stating something about EU money laundering rules - I then had to jump through even more hoops to get it working again and ended up with lots of pissed off sellers. Seems OK now though. There was a guy on the train the other morning complaining about payments to sype from his paypal account that he new nothing about then I read this http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/13/paypal_skype_glitch_reports/ - it must have been pretty widespread

D

delores

paypal

I used it once and then they informed me someone tried yo get into my account and i had them remove my account with them.

P

programmer4life

I trust Paypal, but beware of scams... I regularly junk emails with links to phishing Paypal websites :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.