Welcome to WebmasterServe!

FREE TO JOIN! Join us now to engage in informative and friendly discussions about Webmastering, SEO, SEM, Internet Marketing, Programming, Graphic Design, Online Jobs and more. What are you waiting for? Ready to join our friendly community? It takes just one minute to register.

Dismiss Notice

Join WebmasterServe Forums 
Join the discussion! Have a better idea or an opinion? It takes just one minute to register Click Here to Join

Help Me/Question Do you use the internet to help write articles?

Discussion in 'Content and Copywriting' started by networld, Dec 10, 2015.

1. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    Do you usually go through Internet to enrich your knowledge about a particular topic that you want to write about? I do that. Whenever I complete my first draft of the article, I go back to net to enrich my knowledge on the topic and also to check if it can do any value addition to my article. I think it is also an opportunity to double check the facts we believe.

Even though it is against copyright law to copy past any authenticated materials from web, I think there is no harm in improving our knowledge through net. After all that is why they are published on net.

What do you think about this?

2. Avatarpals

White Belt

Ratings:
    +7 / -0
    Yes, I do read articles online when I am writing about a topic. It is only plagiarism if we copy and paste the article text as-is. But, if reading about a topic to learn more and write our own articles was not allowed, how else could humans learn from each other? We are only not allowed to copy and paste another author's sentences and articles, we can read and understand the topic and write it in our own words and that is considered fine, that is how all humans have learned and passed on knowledge from generation to generation and that is how schools teach students, based on someone else's written text books or materials.

When I am writing on a topic, I try to find the most recent relevant information, if possible I try to look at it from unique perspectives which other authors did not do, or they did it in a different way. I try to add more value as you said, by adding content, data or pictures and images to give the reader all the information in a user friendly and easily understandable language with simple sentences. Everyone's writing style is different, so how we write is all based on the audience for our articles, if the audience is tech savvy, I would include much more technical information and words versus a non-techie audience who needs simple sentences without too much technical words which they might not understand.

3. cortana

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +28 / -0
    It's not against the law to copy/paste a quote. So if you're blogging and want to say exactly what someone else said, quote them and then link to the source.

It's a perfectly ethical practice. I don't mean that you should quote an entire article, but you can quote pieces that would help your article and summary sound better. And of course - always link to the source. It's the nice thing to do and makes your site seem more credible as well.

4. wilco

wilco Grammarian Apprentice
    Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +13 / -0
    I like the way you articulated your response in an easy to read manner.
    Also, I appreciate your analogy to how we learn in academia.

It's very profitable that you mention writing in a format and mannerism that is equivalent or 'makes sense' to that of your audience. For example, it would be very unreasonable and difficult to try to explain jet propulsion systems on the F-16's to elementary students. So, knowing your audience is a big part of being a content-writer, absolutely.

I personally, like to collect a whole bunch of recent articles (like you), scholarly sources (if necessary or applicable), news, various websites with the same data, written in different ways, and then yes, add my own personalized touch and rewrite it in a way that makes sense to me, is personalized, and appropriately or eloquently written for the most practical audience.

5. challengewriter

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +66 / -0
    My lecturers taught me to always put reference whenever I copy someone's work, when doing research for an article and most times than not, I put it in quotations of sentences like @cortana@cortana said. There are different types of referencing that are appropriate.

6. wilco

wilco Grammarian Apprentice
    Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +13 / -0
    Your @reference technique reminds me of a Facebook direct user-profile/page reference method.
    I too, however, have found it especially helpful to learn--through my studies or independently--how to conduct research and create website content utilizing citation methods such as APA, MLA, Chicago Style, and even Bluebook Format Citations.

7. Zirkon Kalti

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +120 / -0
    I think its OK to reference different sites when writing articles. Just make sure you don't copy the whole word or sentence. You can take some points from the site and add your own ideas when writing the articles.

8. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    But you should be careful using quoted sentences in forums where there is a ban to use them. I have seen a few of them banning this practice. But you are true that it can definitely add life to our articles.

There is no harm in enriching our knowledge through Internet and use it in our writings. As you said sites are very strict against copy paste of contents from other articles and will be considered as a copyright violation.

Internet is a sea of knowledge and it is upto us how to use them. Also we should note that it is flooded with wrong information as well.

9. MyDigitalpoint

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +17 / -0
    Using the Internet to help writing articles is comparable with going to your local library to get the information you need.

This is all about doing research, activity that may involve the use of Internet, print books and magazines to find the reference source we need when we are not knowledgeable in a given topic, or we want to make are writing more accurate.

However doing research online involves a risk; the choice of the wrong sources!

Today almost anyone has a blog, and almost anyone believes to be an authority in certain topics. However the reason behind the existence of many blogs and websites is merely commercial; they want to monetize from the published content.

Even though, such content might be well-researched and original, copied faithfully from another website, or even worst; a scrambled spun of an existing article, whether using software or by hand of someone with poor quality writing skills.

Whenever you search for reference sources to get your original articles written, pay attention to what you read on the web, and never give for granted that Wikipedia is an "authoritative" resources.

Wikipedia is a huge effort to make available a big and constantly updated encyclopedia, but an encyclopedia that anyone can edit and therefore may include mistakes and inaccurate reference. I have caught myself some of those mistakes. True, there are editors behind Wikipedia, but they have to make a titanic effort that cannot guarantee absolute accuracy.

When doing research, don't pay attention to the website on top of the page results, but look carefully what kind of sites are coming across.

Let's say that you are looking for medical reference, you type the name of a disease and Google brings a list looking like this supposed example;

1. Disease information for your..... http:// whoknowswhatimdoing here .xyz
    2. All about disease 4YA.... http:// expertdoctors . com
    3. Disease Symptoms and treatment... http:// webmed .com​

In this case is likely the two first sources are junk sites optimized via SEO to rank higher than WebMED which is a legitimate and authoritative medical source.

So, which one of those sources you would use as reference? Answer is obvious, right?

10. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    You are very true and thanks a lot @MyDigitalpoint@MyDigitalpoint for this detailed explanation.

You are right that Internet is flooded with wrong details and it is really difficult to filter out the right ones. A source like Wikipedia is open to all and hence there is a high risk of wrong information. May be this is the reason why Wikipedia is not accepted as an authentic source. But there is no doubt that Wikipedia is really helpful for people from different sectors like students, teachers, researchers etc.

It is a valid point to cross check your findings on Internet from other sources too. I think that can give some sort of perfection.

11. MyDigitalpoint

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +17 / -0
    Couldn't agree more with you @networld@networld!

Wikipedia is a huge global effort to provide students, teachers, researchers and general public with information that they could find through established online encyclopedias which have a cost for consultation, or require a paid subscription, such as the case of Encyclopaedia Brittanica, which free service is limited, and the premium service is costly, having a 7-day free trial to try it out that is too little time for someone who requires gain access to information continuously.

However the best way to make sure your use of Wikipedia won't make you fall in a pitfall, is doing a quick verification to find if data is right when in doubt.

I had to write an article about the discography of a Spanish Singer, which I found on Wikipedia. However one of her recording made no sense to me because this information was cited as [She recorded the song "ola, ola, ola" in 1962 ]

Why does this information was illogical to me despite ignoring of her recordings? Because the Spanish word "ola" means "wave", and as long as I can remember, I have never heard a single song or literary work entitled "wave, wave, wave..." Sounds kinda weird!

Even though if you had an "h" before "ola", you found that the song recorded could be "hola, hola, hola" (hello, hello, hello).

This makes more sense and pointing to cross check made me avoid fall in mistake, as the song was certainly about hello, and not about a wave ;)

12. challengewriter

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +66 / -0
    Acтυally, ιтѕ a parт oғ daтa joυrnalιѕм wнere yoυ geт yoυr ιnғorмaтιon ғroм тнe world wιde weв, ιтѕ legal only ѕon ғorgeт тo reғerence and ѕтaтe тнe ѕoυrce.

#12 challengewriter, Dec 16, 2015 at 3:15 AM
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  13. hiba tahir

White Belt

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    yes i do many time ,many topics u took from internet

14. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    Yes, that is very true in most of the sites. They particularly state that it is mandatory to show the source when there is a copy paste. But most of them do not support use of copyrighted materials in any manner. Now they have advanced tools to find out copyright violations within a second. If you could not follow their terms your account could be banned for ever.

I think it is a good thing to have something in place to protect our rights. Otherwise Internet will be a war zone for sure.

15. dcristo

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +37 / -0
    Absolutely, it's mandatory to do some research when writing an in-depth article about a topic.

16. cheezcarls

cheezcarls It's Game Time!
    Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +162 / -0
    Yes I use the internet to research something before writing an article. It is important that you should have some knowledge first on the topic that you are about to write. Internet is a huge source where you can get some information by just searching them using Google, Yahoo, etc.

However, if you already have some string knowledge on what to write, you can just do it easily without the need of researching. But again, researching in some resources using the internet is important before writing.

17. ajsahi

White Belt

Ratings:
    +0 / -1
    yes you are right and i am agree with you, we can get more help regarding any topic particularly when we are going to present our knowledge in front of the whole like internet we must search out into google and add more value added material into our topic

18. Petesede

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +13 / -0
    Not really. The problem is just ´minimum wage´. Writing online, for the most part pays very little. If you have to spend an hour or two doing research to write an article, more than likely you now knocked yourself down to well below minimum wage.

If I am writing a requested article, and I need to do research first, that needs to be factored into the cost. For my own websites, I earn a decent amount from adsense, so I don´t mind if I have to double-check some numbers... but even still, I always have 'is this going to even earn me minimum wage' in the back of my head.

19. challengewriter

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +66 / -0
    My mum told me the same thing, she's like if you're writing for them with all you've got, don't think the money you're making is actually a lot. Truthfully she was right about what she said, considering the amount of time it would take to research and write up on the topic, most of the pays per 50/100/200 words etc. can be very low, with only some being very helpful.

20. Petesede

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +13 / -0
    Don´t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with making minimum wage and for some people, even making less than minimum wage is fine because they can do it on their own schedule, without having to go to an office and be able to do things like child-care at the same time. Also different countries have different minimum wages. where I live, people would kill for a job that pays $2 per hour ( which is why many sneak into the USA)