Just Gossip Don't buy - rent what you want instead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamPlayer

Yellow Belt
The recession may be taking its toll on our household expenditure but you don't have to go without – if you rent instead of buying. From big-ticket items like cars to life's little luxuries like handbags and high fashion, we show you how to live life for less

With consumers forced to rein in their spending, more and more people are turning to renting as an alternative to buying. This doesn't just apply to property – these days consumers are renting anything from cars and TVs to handbags and power tools instead of splashing out on big ticket purchases.

As well as being cheaper than buying, renting enables people to keep up to date with the trends. If you have something that other people might want to borrow, then you can make some extra cash by listing it on a rental site such as erento.co.uk or zilok.com.

Cars

New car sales hit their lowest point since 1996 last year as drivers became reluctant to splash out on new wheels. At the same time car club membership grew by more than 100%.

Car clubs allow customers to rent cars by the hour or day for a set rate. Unlike traditional car hire companies where you have to pick up your vehicle from the car hire office, car clubs park their cars in parking spots around major towns and cities and, after booking their slot, members access their car via a pin code.

Car club WhizzGo has more 5,000 members across the UK and is the largest car club outside of London. It says that by paying hourly rates and eliminating the cost of petrol, servicing, tax and insurance, drivers can save up to £3,500 a year by trading in their car and joining a car club instead. Other car clubs include Streetcar and City Car Club and Zipcar.

Electrical Items

Back in the 1980s, many people rented their television and video but it was more commonplace to own electrical items in the next decade. But now renting is back in fashion. The benefits of renting a TV set include allowing consumers to keep up with the latest technology without expensive outlay. Renting also means that you'll never have to worry about products breaking down, expensive warranties, call out charges or repair costs.

You can rent a LCD TV from £3 a week or a washing machine from £2.54 a week on rentaldeals.co.uk. The downside is that renters will need to undergo a credit check and usually commit to an 18-month contract.

Fashion items

If you crave Chloe or are passionate about Prada, there are plenty of websites that allow you to rent the latest handbag for a fraction of its purchase price.

Fashionhire.co.uk, for example, hires out handbags from top designers including Marc Jacobs, Prada and Fendi. The latest Chloe Paddington black handbag which retails at more than £700 can be hired for £60 a month through the site.

Handbagsfromheaven.co.uk offers a similar service and you can hire bags by the week or month. Be aware though, that if you lose or damage the bag or get it dirty, you could be liable for a replacement fee.

Luxury items

If you fancy a slice of the high life but don't have the funds to support it, website Fractional Life allows users to rent, lease or part-own items such as jets, yachts and supercars.

The site was set up by Piers Brown who dreamt up the idea when driving a supercar club's Ferrari F430 Spider down to the Le Mans 24 hours race in the Summer of 2006. Although he loved his spin in the supercar, owning one in London was out of the question.

The site brings together companies that offer fractional ownership or rental of luxury items with consumers who want a private jet for a week or designer handbag for the evening.

sky.com

poison17

Yellow Belt
"As well as being cheaper than buying, renting enables people to keep up to date with the trends"

This is kinda wrong.. in the long term.. the best way is to buy that thing, not to rent. I didn't like to rent nothing in my life, I just didn't felt safe and secure. This same I did with loans. My family didn't have a loan ever , ever. If I want something, I make sure I work hard, and when I get the money, I will buy it.

Anyway, this "rent business" may be successfully or not, depending of the country where it's made. In UK it may work to rent a LCD TV (like you said in your post), amean it may be good for both sides, but I bet in the other countries doesn't work.

Last edited:

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
Poison, what country do you have in mind, where are you from?

"As well as being cheaper than buying, renting enables people to keep up to date with the trends"

This is kinda wrong.. in the long term.. the best way is to buy that thing, not to rent. I didn't like to rent nothing in my life, I just didn't felt safe and secure. This same I did with loans. My family didn't have a loan ever , ever. If I want something, I make sure I work hard, and when I get the money, I will buy it.

Anyway, this "rent business" may be successfully or not, depending of the country where it's made. In UK it may work to rent a LCD TV (like you said in your post), amean it may be good for both sides, but I bet in the other countries doesn't work.

odls

Yellow Belt
There's no doubt that for certain items it makes more sense to buy rather than rent. That's especially true of such things as televisions, which at one time were quite expensive when compared to a person's income. Nowadays of course a lot of electrical products have come down in price in real terms, and are more reliable, so there is less of an advantage to renting.

On the other hand, you might need an item for just a one-time occasion. Why go out and spend an amount of money on something you might only ever wear once or twice in your life? And, if it's an item of clothing, it might not even fit (or be in fashion) the next time you want to wear it.

Here's an example of what one company says in advertising its tuxedo rental service-

"We are a tuxedo rental store that can accommodate you for any and all occasions. We have a tailor on premises to make sure that you look your best. Our after six tuxedo rentals are perfect for late night dinners and functions that are perfect for spur of the moment ideas. We have an array of bow ties and cummerbunds in every color that you could want. If standard black and white is too drab for your liking we have blue tuxedos and other colors as well."

Wouldn't it make more sense to rent the clothes described here, rather than buying - unless of course you were to wear them on a frequent basis?

Some people dream of driving a Ferrari, but they couldn't possibly go out and buy one. But, they could go and hire a Ferrari for the day. Expensive, yes, but as a one-off they might feel it worthwhile.

I like this idea too, from the article above
Car club WhizzGo has more 5,000 members across the UK and is the largest car club outside of London. It says that by paying hourly rates and eliminating the cost of petrol, servicing, tax and insurance, drivers can save up to £3,500 a year by trading in their car and joining a car club instead.
Cars drain money faster than almost any other item. If soemone doesn't really need to own their own, they can save money by joining such a scheme, and as it says, eliminating all the usual costs associated with owning a car.

poison17

Yellow Belt
Poison, what country do you have in mind, where are you from?
I am from Romania, but I work in York (UK) 6 months a year. And in the rest 6 months I live in Romania, where I try to learn how things are with the "internet business".

In fact, on 12 March I will be back to York, I can't wait for it, I miss my girl from there, Angella.

Last edited:

poison17

Yellow Belt
yes, is quite expensive, but I love the city, his architecture old buildings and I love the town's history.

In the summer maybe I have the free time (and money) to make a small trip around UK with my motorcycle, you have a beautiful country, but I hate the climate.

Last edited:

emily

Yellow Belt
some to rent, some to buy, books rent to read

Books only rent to read.......
As for me, every time, when I am thirsty for a book, I buy it at last.But the result is that I never read it again or I never finish reading. Because it belongs to me, I have enough time to read it.
But if I rent a book, I will finish reading in the fixed time, since I have to return it. It does not belong to me, I do not have enough time, so I just seize every time to read, then return.
maybe it is just my case, I do not know if any friends here have the same experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.