Welcome to WebmasterServe!

FREE TO JOIN! Join us now to engage in informative and friendly discussions about Webmastering, SEO, SEM, Internet Marketing, Programming, Graphic Design, Online Jobs and more. What are you waiting for? Ready to join our friendly community? It takes just one minute to register.

Dismiss Notice

Join WebmasterServe Forums 
Join the discussion! Have a better idea or an opinion? It takes just one minute to register Click Here to Join

Fun Don't people on here still read books?

Discussion in 'Book Club' started by challengewriter, Dec 9, 2015.

?

Do you read books?

1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

10.0%
  3. Sometimes

40.0%
  1. challengewriter

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +66 / -0
    I noticed that the last book threads or replies are very outdated, up to 7-8 years ago that's deep, especially since the world is a mobile one now and you can get access to many books on the go, with just the click of a button and a reading application on whatever suitable gadget. I love reading books, I am a bibliophile and I am always collecting new books to read, my tbr (to be read) pile will never go down.

Now I am taking it upon myself to ask anyone who is interested in book this following questions.
    • What was the last book you read?
    • Did you enjoy or hate it?
    • What's your favorite book?
    • What's your worst book?
    • When last did you pick up a book to read?
    • Which books, would you recommend I check out and why?
    Thank you, would love reading your replies and if needed of me, I would reply also.

2. wilco

wilco Grammarian Apprentice
    Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +13 / -0
    Other than the Bible, no. Ebooks, yes, and then mostly scholarly journals via PDF, and that's just about it. It's a little sad 'letting go' or moving forward past this era.. I know, but, it's reality. Who wants to lug around all of that weight anyway? When I've become more established though, and invest in my own home, I'd like to have built an entire library, and place my favorite social sciences and philosophy books all throughout. Truly yours. William

3. pwarbi

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +25 / -0
    Well I voted yes, I do still read books. Maybe not as much as I used to, and since I've now got a kindle the only paper books I read are the obscure ones that aren't available in electronic form, but from time to time I will.

When kindle's first became available there was a fear that the paper books would start to fade away but that's not really been the case. Will that happen in the future then maybe so, but for now I think kindle's and paper books are both complimenting each other.

4. ServerDeals

White Belt

Ratings:
    +1 / -0
    Not many books since college, but I do find myself reading a lot to stay currently in our field. Not sure if that counts, but I am learning always :)

5. bharath

Staff Member Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +54 / -0
    I have no way to read the books in these days especially making money ebooks. My last book was the one which I did college. At this stage Ive stopped to read those ebooks since I am considering only blogs, so no more Ebooks.

6. challengewriter

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +66 / -0
    Reading is always a good thing to do, I think you should pick it up again, at least once a month, it's a good stress reliever, making money books can be quite boring don't you think, if that's all you read?

7. phoenix2015

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +10 / -0
    I think overall people read less physical paper books, But I think that a greater number of people are reading more because they are reading as they surf the internet. As for me, I still enjoy reading traditional paper books, whether I am sitting and having a cup of coffee or laying in bed!

8. amultani

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +8 / -0
    Love to read books published online and they don't need any software to install. However, I like books related to health.

9. briannagodess

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +18 / -0
    Here are my answers:
    • What was the last book you read? Gone Girl
    • Did you enjoy or hate it? I enjoyed it!
    • What's your favorite book? The Princess Diaries series
    • What's your worst book? Nothing really.
    • When last did you pick up a book to read? About a week ago.
    • Which books, would you recommend I check out and why? Well, I loved dystopian novels as well like The Hunger Games and Divergent. I think they are exciting and action packed. They make your imagination wild and take you into a time in the future where societies and government are in order then in war.

10. MyDigitalpoint

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +17 / -0
    Okay, I'm not longer having too much time to read like in the past, but here I go with my answers to your questions ;)
    • What was the last book you read?... Can't remember, it was long a while back
    • Did you enjoy or hate it?... I guess I enjoyed it, I wouldn't finish reading it otherwise
    • What's your favorite book?... and this is something I can say for sure, my kind of bible; "I Ching, The Book of Changes" translated by Richard Wilhelm.
    • What's your worst book?... "Helping Yourself with Real Spirit Contact" by Al G. Manning; too much fun for taking it seriously.
    • When last did you pick up a book to read?... About a week ago, but again, I had no time to re-read it, as it was one in my favorites collection.
    • Which books, would you recommend I check out and why? This question would be rather hard to answer without knowing what kind of reading you like.
    - I may recommend you a witchcraft book, and you may think I'm joking, but this is the kind o literature I like (metaphysics, occultism, paranormal and the like stuff)
    - I would name some business and marketing books, because I like to read about this, no matter if I have no plans to use what I learn from them, yet you may prefer to read merely for entertainment purposes.
    - Wish I could recommend you some novels, but those I can cite are probably basics in your literature collection, as would probably in that of many more people around the globe ;)

11. Ramakrishnan

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +11 / -0
    I love reading whenever I get time. I am not a regular reader.
    • What was the last book you read? The Alchemist
    • Did you enjoy or hate it? I loved it.
    • What's your favorite book? Bhagavad Gita
    • What's your worst book? There is no such book.
    • When last did you pick up a book to read? Last month
    • Which books, would you recommend I check out and why?The Book of Mirdad; Da Vince Code. I enjoyed them.

12. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    To be frank, nowadays I can't read books that often due to shortage of time. Reading is a time consuming job and we should be focused on reading. That means I can't any other job while reading a book. So my answers would be :
    • What was the last book you read? - "You can win" by Shiv Khera (in fact it's second time I am reading this book)
    • Did you enjoy or hate it? I loved it
    • What's your favorite book? I can say "You can win" is one of my favorites
    • What's your worst book? I could not locate one till now. There is something to learn in every book I read
    • When last did you pick up a book to read? Last week
    • Which books, would you recommend I check out and why? "You can Win" is a good management book which can really inspire you to become successful in life. It also got a number of examples which add life to the topic. I really enjoy reading this book.

13. ipol12

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +26 / -0
    I still do read books like self-help books, spiritual books, educational books and the Bible. I don't read novels at all. The last novel I read was Pride and Prejudice and already forgot its story.

14. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    I think nowadays the trend is towards audio books or e-books. But I doubt if it gives the same level of involvement as an original book gives? The best part with audio book is that you don't have to hold a book and you can lie down easily listening to a book. Audio books are easy to carry too. It also saves trees which would have been cut otherwise to make the paper for book.

I think an audio book will never take you to the level of imagination you get from a paper book.

15. challengewriter

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +66 / -0
    They are still books though, I stick strictly to e-books, in fact when I have a hard copy, I try and get the soft copy and read it with my phone, I find it much better, as it automatically bookmarks, where I stopped reading and I continue where I leave off no matter if I turn off my phone.

16. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    I think it's quite a personal choice. I too listen to audio books, but never get same level of satisfaction as with a paper book. It is good that audio books are environment friendly, easy to carry, easy to bookmark, but it is a personal preference I believe.

Reading books take me to a new world of imagination and that never happens to me with an audio book. Sometimes while reading a book I stop in between and try to imagine the situation in my mind and then continue reading.

17. ipol12

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +26 / -0
    I love audio books too as I listen to ones. But with physical books or even e-books you will see yourself being in the situation. You will create a visualization which you are doing the protagonist does.

18. challengewriter

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +66 / -0
    I tried audiobooks but I see myself getting very distracted and I end up no following it and sometimes getting lost, so I'm sticking to reading only.

19. rayone

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +23 / -0
    • What was the last book you read? It was a book on electronics but I read a novel by Chetan Bhagat just before that
    • Did you enjoy or hate it? I loved reading both of them
    • What's your favorite book? My favorite book is a joke book by my favorite SM Pathak
    • What's your worst book? I have yet to read one
    • When last did you pick up a book to read? Yesterday, every day in fact that's part of job
    • Which books, would you recommend I check out and why? If you are interested to read light topics I suggest you to read Chetan Bhagat's all books, very few in numbers but all are bestsellers.

20. Alexandoy

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +18 / -0
    Honestly, I haven't read a book for a quite a time. The first reason is printed books that I like are very expensive - science fiction stories are my favorite and they do cost a lot. Second reason is because my favorite author, Isaac Asimov, had died a few years back so there are no new books by him. And third reason is the availability of stories in the internet. So even if I prefer hardcopy, stories in digital form can be printed for my convenience. I am predicting that in the near future, the printed books will be a rarity.