Fun Don't people on here still read books?

Do you read books?

• Total voters

rayone

Honestly, I haven't read a book for a quite a time. The first reason is printed books that I like are very expensive - science fiction stories are my favorite and they do cost a lot. Second reason is because my favorite author, Isaac Asimov, had died a few years back so there are no new books by him. And third reason is the availability of stories in the internet. So even if I prefer hardcopy, stories in digital form can be printed for my convenience. I am predicting that in the near future, the printed books will be a rarity.
I agree but we have a vast used book market that provides us at almost 40% of the books' original value. Then we have exchange groups, libraries and the best of them all the area based local shops providing books at 5% value of the book on daily basis.

Here are my answers:
  • What was the last book you read? Gone Girl
  • Did you enjoy or hate it? I enjoyed it!
  • What's your favorite book? The Princess Diaries series
  • What's your worst book? Nothing really.
  • When last did you pick up a book to read? About a week ago.
  • Which books, would you recommend I check out and why? Well, I loved dystopian novels as well like The Hunger Games and Divergent. I think they are exciting and action packed. They make your imagination wild and take you into a time in the future where societies and government are in order then in war.
I have read all the books you mentioned and I loved them all except from Mockingjay. It got too the point where I found all the angst unnecessary and for Allegiant, I was so pissed at the end, I wanted to cry because you know what happened. If you want to read more dystopian you should check out Matched series by Ally Condie and The Selection series by Kiera Cass.

networld

Honestly, I haven't read a book for a quite a time. The first reason is printed books that I like are very expensive - science fiction stories are my favorite and they do cost a lot. Second reason is because my favorite author, Isaac Asimov, had died a few years back so there are no new books by him. And third reason is the availability of stories in the internet. So even if I prefer hardcopy, stories in digital form can be printed for my convenience. I am predicting that in the near future, the printed books will be a rarity.
I am also a big fan of science fiction stories. I also read crime thrillers a lot. We have a center in the market where second hand novels at cheap rates are easily available. They got some nice collection. You can have it by giving some nominal price. In addition to novels I also use to buy a lot of reader's digests during my schooling.

But frankly speaking nowadays I find it very hard to spend time on reading. Now my only medium of entertainment is science fiction movies.

Alexandoy

But frankly speaking nowadays I find it very hard to spend time on reading. Now my only medium of entertainment is science fiction movies.
I agree that being adults we are mostly busy on some other things, leaving no more time for reading. But my reading period is during bedtime. Instead of tossing and turning on bed, my habit is to read until my eyes become droopy and sleep would get me by force. And since tired eyes need rest so the hardcopy (paper) is preferred than the tablet which has a glare that could hurt the eyes. This reminds me that I have to go to the bookstore to check on new books (that I can afford). I do that once in a while if only to browse in the bookstore racks.

ipol12

Yellow Belt
I tried audiobooks but I see myself getting very distracted and I end up no following it and sometimes getting lost, so I'm sticking to reading only.
There may be a lot of distraction. So I just use my headset so I can focus on it more. But my problem sometimes is my brain which roams anywhere, lol! But I have the option to play it again. :)

briannagodess

I have read all the books you mentioned and I loved them all except from Mockingjay. It got too the point where I found all the angst unnecessary and for Allegiant, I was so pissed at the end, I wanted to cry because you know what happened. If you want to read more dystopian you should check out Matched series by Ally Condie and The Selection series by Kiera Cass.
Yeah, I feel the same way about Mockingly. But also, I felt that Katniss was just going with the flow, she wasn't her usual self like in the first book. She was used and she just let her be used by these people. Plus, I can't even comment on the unnecessary deaths! Too many characters have died even the one Katniss was protecting right from the start.:( Plus, she didn't even choose between Peeta and Gale...she just chose the one who stayed.:/

Oh and Allegiant...sigh. That book was something. I enjoyed the first book, the last two...not so much. It just got confusing and by the end, it doesn't sink to me why she would die for that traitor of a brother. These endings are so frustrating.

Oh, I've seen that book on sale! I might check it out again, the Matched series. But the other one, The Selection...I haven't seen that yet, when was that released?

Plus, can you give a quick overview of the story of Matched and The Selection? Thanks!

Yeah, I feel the same way about Mockingly. But also, I felt that Katniss was just going with the flow, she wasn't her usual self like in the first book. She was used and she just let her be used by these people. Plus, I can't even comment on the unnecessary deaths! Too many characters have died even the one Katniss was protecting right from the start.:( Plus, she didn't even choose between Peeta and Gale...she just chose the one who stayed.:/

Oh and Allegiant...sigh. That book was something. I enjoyed the first book, the last two...not so much. It just got confusing and by the end, it doesn't sink to me why she would die for that traitor of a brother. These endings are so frustrating.

Oh, I've seen that book on sale! I might check it out again, the Matched series. But the other one, The Selection...I haven't seen that yet, when was that released?

Plus, can you give a quick overview of the story of Matched and The Selection? Thanks!
I can't remember much about Matched as I only read the first book, it's like this movie the Giver, just it has a better twist and all that. The Selection is a dystopian nation, where The Prince has to pick a Queen, like all this reality shows where guys and girls go to in hopes of finding their future partner, that's what the series is about, basically.