Welcome to WebmasterServe!

FREE TO JOIN! Join us now to engage in informative and friendly discussions about Webmastering, SEO, SEM, Internet Marketing, Programming, Graphic Design, Online Jobs and more. What are you waiting for? Ready to join our friendly community? It takes just one minute to register.

Dismiss Notice

Join WebmasterServe Forums 
Join the discussion! Have a better idea or an opinion? It takes just one minute to register Click Here to Join

Tutorial Effective Tips In Operating A Successful Ecommerce Website

Discussion in 'General eCommerce Discussions' started by cheezcarls, Jan 21, 2016.

1. cheezcarls

cheezcarls It's Game Time!
    Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +162 / -0
    Hi guys!

Actually, this is the first time I am going to share a tutorial in the Ecommerce section. This is based on my own seldom experience in operating an online store of my own few years ago. I admitted that I did created an online web store for our U.S. products that are sold in our boutique owned by my mother and my aunt. Actually, they are decided to become partners in business, as they wanted to explore if US products are indeed going to make a great impact here in our area. The products that we have are various ones like clothes, perfumes, accessories, cosmetics and so much more.

[​IMG]

During the time I was still a graduating student, I was tasked to be on duty at the store without pay every Sunday, because one of the sales staff is taking days off during that day. But there's a reward when it comes to work on this store. Because of that, I was exempted in wearing college school uniform. I presented them a working certificate from the store, so I had no problem with that because I was still in school.

When I graduated from college of Commerce, my dad already started his plan for us to setup our own internet cafe. But during that time, I am already working as a freelancer. At the same time, I have seen various clothing stores on the web and suggested this to my mom. She acknowledged my suggestion and contacted my aunt as well. Both of them agreed and I voluntarily set them up an online store. My mom gave me a compensation for my efforts in doing this for them.

The online store I setup was just a basic one, and not being professional yet because I was using a website that can create me my online store for free (I won't reveal the name though for privacy purposes). During that time, Facebook was already starting to boom in the market and promoted it online to my friends only. But despite my efforts, there was no to little success in my online store because it was not attractive enough for them. In order for us to have a successful Ecommerce store, we should do our homework first before executing or taking action of it.

[​IMG]

Okay I am now going to reveal the five most effective tips in operating a successful Ecommerce store:

1. The online clothing store's website design should be something unique and out-of-the-box

This is something that I was lacking during the time I setup a basic online store from a free source for my mom and aunt's boutique business. During that time, the design wasn't unique since it's a free source and I didn't think outside of the box as well. This is the lesson that I have learned for myself when setting up an online Ecommerce store. If I were you, don't do the same thing like my past experience before. Just be unique and always think outside of the box in setting up the online store.

2. You or your assistant should be active in answering questions or inquiries from customers

Communication is really essential in terms of doing transactions with your clients or customers. There's no doubt that these customers are going to inquire first on your items before buying. You or your assistant or any staff do you have who is in charge of online inquiries must answer actively within 12- 24 hours.

3. Do your homework when it comes to charging customers of shipping and handling fees

Try to canvass the weight of your item to be shipped in order to know its fee, along with the handling. This is where you can finally set a fixed price for a specific item plus shipping and handling. Don't just use one option to ship like in the local post office, but offer express delivery too but the charging fee can be high for good.

4. Paypal should be your main payment method for online transactions

Although credit card and money remittance are fine in terms of doing online transaction, but chances are that the refund or dispute process is difficult. With Paypal, this is going to give you more control in terms of refunds or disputes for good to make it legit.

5. Offer discounts, promos and freebies from time to time in your preferred selected items

In the front page of your Ecommerce store, you should try offer discounts, promos and freebies for a limited time, in order for the customers to purchase your items in an urgent way. This will bring you more sales actually even though on a limited basis.

Have you learned something about this tutorial of mine? If you have any specific questions, please let me know and I'll try my very best to answer. Thanks!

2. challengewriter

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +66 / -0
    Lovely post @cheezcarls@cheezcarls It is superbly written and I have the perfect person who needs to read this, my cousin has a store, but I don't think it's working out too well for him, this is it magnusadams, it is very good, but I still think he needs to implement some of these advice, I'm going to send him a link to this post. Thank you! Especially since he is starting a new store and wants me to be the manager.

3. cheezcarls

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +162 / -0
    I am happy that my article helps you @challengewriter@challengewriter and your cousin too. I just took my time to check the website of your cousin, and it looks fabulous. But one thing that I am really surprised is the lightbox opt-in form. To be honest with you though, I have never seen any eCommerce store that has this kind of feature. In other words, it's way completely out of the box thinking you have. I want to have a quick suggestion though. I think his website's title tag needs to be properly optimized with the right keywords to help his store rank well in the Google SERPs. Again, this is just my two cents. Regards to him. Cheers!

4. Vinaya

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +22 / -0
    Thanks for the tips, but to be honest I need more information on this regard such as how to launch an estore, how to operate and manage estore, how to deliver the product to the customer who bought the product, which is the best platform to start an ecommerce store etc?

5. challengewriter

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +66 / -0
    You can start with shopify, I think it's a great ecommerce platform for users and it explains everything to the users so they don't have to be stuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. challengewriter

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +66 / -0
    I'll inform him about the SERP bit, thanks :). Your input is well appreciated, he knows people who build websites and all those stuffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. skylimit

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +46 / -0
    What was the result of your ecommerce website?
    Did you got success? How much money you made?
    I am asking, because its a competitive niche. And not every one of us are able to start and earn from Ecommerce, right?

8. Swati Mishra

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +105 / -0
    This article how to operate a successful eCommerce website is helpful for who want to open their website. If anybody wants to open their website, i will suggest to read your article.

9. challengewriter

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +66 / -0
    It's fairly well, money made depends on the kind of product being sold and yes it's a competitive niche fashion, but he's doing fairly well as he has lots of friends and connection to help in his advertising of the store, so it is successful.

10. Furqan Rashid

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +38 / -0
    Nice Article. I guess E commerce websites could prove to be successful if you continuously offer various discount services to your clients.

11. challengewriter

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +66 / -0
    Or if your reputation is good and deliver on time then there wouldn't be a problem. A lot of sites don't stick to time which makes them lose a lot of customers, because I depend on reviews, before I buy from an e store.

12. Furqan Rashid

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +38 / -0
    Your Price and The quality of material you are providing both matters a lot in establishing your eCommerce business. If you lack quality than you cannot succeed.

13. coolyfrost

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +9 / -0
    Thanks! Your guide was extremely helpful. Regarding website design, do you know any good companies that can give me a great template to work with? I also love trying new things, so if someone could give me some information on a good place to learn some web design relatively quickly besides this forum I would appreciate it greatly. Thank you in advance for any replies :) .

14. Renren

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +12 / -0
    This is great. I don't have much idea about e commerce, but I think this one will give me the information I need.

15. Furqan Rashid

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +38 / -0
    In order to make your E commerce business successful you need to maintain connection with your permanent clients and introduce new products frequently with offers as well.

16. Renren

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +12 / -0
    So that means, communicating has a major part in e commerce.

17. Vinaya

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +22 / -0
    I have a question. Can we start an estore only with affiliate products? In other words, can we get approval from affiliate networks for an estore that only lists affiliate products?

18. Furqan Rashid

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +38 / -0
    Yes you can start an online store with affiliate products and I guess you can even get approved for that.

19. cheezcarls

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +162 / -0
    Yes it is possible @Vinaya@Vinaya. You can start an Amazon affiliate eCommerce store. It will display all of the products, and they are all under your affiliate link. I forgot the name of those Wordpress plugins though, but I believe there are free and paid ones out there for you to choose. You can Google that if you want to. This is only meant for those who have not owned any physical product that they really want to sell once and for all. One important is that you need to have a nice theme that can compliment your own Amazon affiliate online store. Try to explore that by yourself so that you may know it is really possible.

20. djweb

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +14 / -0
    I have been thinking about setting up an e-commerce website. There are so many "out-of-the-box" options out there that I thought there was too much competition. But, the more I look around, the more I find fewer and fewer people getting into this kind of a business anymore. So, maybe it's the right time for getting into e-com.