Favourite Classical Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scorpio

It has been suggested that we start a general classical music thread. I am very ignorant but would like to learn more...
I love anything dramatic and emotional..

My favourite classical pieces..:
"The Rites of Spring" Stravinsky:To celebrate the start of spring, the ballet portrays a group of girls dancing, one literally dances to death...I saw it on tv once... the girls had long white dresses and long black hair..very pagan...looked a bit like the gals in Dr and the medics "Spirit in the Sky".. :shock:

Also like Carmina Burana...(Old Spice and The Omen...)

there are a lot more ..but will let others have a go!

L

Lovewood

I'm a bit of a populist, me. All of Beethoven's symphonies. Mahler's 1 and 3. Mozart's Requiem, and Faure's. Oh, and Spirit In The Sky, though I much prefer the Greenbaum original. ;)

A

Agent Sizzle

I love Rites of Spring too. I first heard it as the intro to Siouxsie & the Banshees' Nocturne concert at the Albert Hall.

One of my favourites is Dvorak's American Quartet in F Major, 2nd Movement. If I've had a really heavy day, I come home , lie on the sofa and listen to this piece - it's very calming for the breathing.

Another one is Smetana's Ma Vlast (My Country).

P

politik

Planet Suite by Gustav Holst a very underrated composer. And should be National Anthem.

S

scorpio

I said on post yesterday, one that got wiped...Planet Suite was the music that got me into classical as a child...especially the relentless "Mars"...agree about Nat. anthem! :wink:

O

Oldraver

Be a bloody long national anthem, though.

I'd pay good money to see our football team, hands on hearts, singing Agadoo!

H

Helen May

Nice thread, I like lots but haven't listenened to much of late will come back to it!

One that I like is Bizet's L'Arlesienne Suite and I love Finlandia and my mind has gone completely blank as to the composer.

Don't know if you ever listen to Alan Titchmarsh's programme on Sunday's at 6.30? There are one or two good pieces on there. It's my clearing up 'listen to' after our late dinner! I'm sure you'd recognise a few on there.

H

O

Oldraver

Is'nt Finlandia by Sibelius?

I could have googled before posting this, but feel like living dangerously! :study:

H

Helen May

It is Sibelius, thanks Oldraver. I was having a senior moment and was feeling too lazy to Google.

H

O

Oldraver

Wotcha back! When was the last time you posted on R2? Betcha don't miss it! Like a ghost town on there. :happy9:

They've even post moderated Becky!

H

Helen May

Which Becky? I made a comment the other day but they are useless as far as I'm concerned.

H

O

Oldraver

Becky Sharp. Not BDG. Sorry, I forgot there was two!

Useless is far too complimentary!

B

becky sharp

Helen May said:
I bet it wasn't something that required post moderation either.

H
absolutely so h.
i can't believe the way they are modding on the bbc board.......any communist country would be proud!

i feel they are just trying to make people fed up .. so they leave the boards leaving the way clear for them to be closed. :) or is that me who is paranoid :shock: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.