Favourite Classical Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lovewood

Has anybody got anything to say, good or bad, about Bruckner? Various of my friends suck their teeth and mutter darkly about his impenetrability (the thought of which sadistically appeals), but don't seem to be able to tell me what he's like, or where to start if I wanted to.

I'm not daunted by too much (I actively enjoyed the catharsis of weeping at the end of Elder's Halle doing Mahler's Titan), but I don't want to be put off by reacting badly to something unreprentative.

Anybody?

A

Agent Sizzle

I only know Bruckner's Symphony No. 9 and quite like it, especially the second part, Scherzo: Bewegt, Lebhaft.

Can't speak for anything else through.

S

scorpio

I can't help at all....but am interested in Mahler....what would be good intro to him...? :?:

O

Oldraver

I have Bruckner's Symphony No 4.

It's very good. I've heard quite a bit of Brookie, in snatches 8) , and what i've heard, I like a lot.

L

Lovewood

Scorpio,

Ideally, the perfect introduction would be a live performance of any of the odd numbered symphonies. Failing that, carve yourself a spare couple of hours, pour yourself a fortifying drink, and immerse yourself in Mahler's 1st, or 3rd, as a starter. I'm shaky on 4, 6 and 9. They might be better intros, but I really woldn't know much about that.

L

Lovewood

Cheers Rave.

Your CDs are done btw. I will wait until Monday to avail myself of the works franking machine. ;)

O

Oldraver

Nice one mate.

Mahlers 5th is all I have, I think. The music is immense, is'nt it?

S

scorpio

Lovewood said:
Scorpio,

Ideally, the perfect introduction would be a live performance of any of the odd numbered symphonies. Failing that, carve yourself a spare couple of hours, pour yourself a fortifying drink, and immerse yourself in Mahler's 1st, or 3rd, as a starter. I'm shaky on 4, 6 and 9. They might be better intros, but I really woldn't know much about that.
Thanks Lovewood. :wink:

L

Lovewood

Frighteningly so. All from having an absolutely enormous orchestra. Mahlerian in fact. Nerve shredding stuff, not for the faint hearted.

S

scorpio

Hang on will look.

Berlin Philharmonic Orch....Herber Von Karajan..even I have heard of him...and is £5.97..not £3.97.

T

thelovelytennisnut

One of my faves is 'Morning' from Peer Gynt, in fact most of the Peer Gynt Suite by Grieg imo is superb

S

scorpio

As a child I loved "In the Hall of the Mountain King"...that was peer Gynt..?

I

Ian Mac

I don't have a lot of experience of classical. We mentioned earlier that the soundtrack to A Clockwork Orange is pretty special and that has Beethoven among others on it. The 9th symphony is excellent and if you listen to the 7th, you can hear the building blocks being laid for the 9th.

Someone mentioned Mars in the planet suite. I couldn't agree more.

O

Oldraver

BBC 4 did a fantastic series on the life of dear old Ludwig van B.

Paul Rhys in the title role, was pukka.

S

scorpio

Ian Mac said:
Someone mentioned Mars in the planet suite. I couldn't agree more.
it is the relentless marching beat...sums up the futility of war...and I was only about 9... :shock: I think I must have read it somewhere.

L

Lovewood

I heard that Raver. About Christmas, or thereabouts? The calamatous whirlwind of the sisters? Brilliant stuff. God bless Radio 4. A beacon in the gloom.

O

Oldraver

No Lovvers. BBC 4 TV!! Looks like we both missed out! :banghead: :banghead:

T

thelovelytennisnut

scorpio said:
As a child I loved "In the Hall of the Mountain King"...that was peer Gynt..?
Yes it is. Sorry for the delay-am multi tasking!!!
I also love the Planets, my first love actually was classical music as my father was a professional musiciam who played in symphony orchestras.

Status
Not open for further replies.