Asking Advice Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

L-Man

I keep hearing praises about the mozilla browser firefox 1.0.
Is it for real or just another hype?
They say it has better security, faster browsing, works on various platforms, blah blah blah.
I have now downloaded one and in the process of trying it out. I wonder if their is any member with a thing or 2 to say about it.

alexandru

Yellow Belt
:) Well, you came to the right place 'cause FireFox ROCKS!!! It's the best browser on earth... very smooth user experience, and still under active development, continuously expanding it's potential and usability. You should also check the Tools -> Extensions -> Get more extensions to see all the power available to it. My favourite extension is the web developer toolbar which is of enormous help to me....
Security: it has it's own rendering engine (Mozilla) thus it is insensitive to IE-specific exploits...

Have fun with it!

* Alex - a happy FireFox user ;) *

Darksat

Yellow Belt
Firefox and Opera are both quite good,
IE is a badly reworked resource hungrey buggy shell program passing itself off as a web browser.

alexandru

Yellow Belt
Darksat said:
Firefox and Opera are both quite good,
IE is a badly reworked resource hungrey buggy shell program passing itself off as a web browser.
You forgot to say "ugly looking"... ;D

L

L-Man

C'mon Darksat, be gentle on Microsoft they pioneer all the goodies we are having today but I agree with you they really need to get their acts together or they will be history.
Alex, It is obvious you are a linux man :)

Last edited by a moderator:
R

racerman28

I have a question about Firefox:

I have been using it and it is dog slow to load pages.

Have I configured something wrong when I downloaded it?

alexandru

Yellow Belt
L-Man said:
C'mon Darksat, be gentle on Microsoft they pioneer all the goodies we are having today but I agree with you they really need to get their acts together or they will be history.
Alex, It is obvious you are a linux man :)
How can you tell ?!? :p

But I'll have to disagree with you:
Microsoft had no 8086 real operating system to sell, but quickly made a deal to license Seattle Computer Products' 86-DOS operating system, which had been written by Tim Paterson earlier in 1980 for use on that company's line of 8086, S100 bus micros. 86-DOS (also called QDOS, for Quick and Dirty Operating System) had been written as more or less a 16-bit version of CP/M, since Digital Research was showing no hurry in introducing CP/M-86. Paterson's DOS 1.0 was approximately 4000 lines of assembler source. This code was quickly polished up and presented to IBM for evaluation. IBM found itself left with Microsoft's offering of "Microsoft Disk Operating System 1.0".
Full story here
They "borrowed" the GUI design principles from Apple, they rushed in into the www competition after Netscape pioneered it, and created a monopolistic situation in which they marginalised the pioneer of the technilogy itself... Do I really need to continue ?

But we're on a forum, debate is the heart of it! :) please if you know a paricular area that MS pioneered it... let us all know.

I have nothing against MS, I just don't like and will never like a badly written piece of software. I programmed for 4 years on the MS platform.... believe me, I do know what Windows means both from a user's perspective as well as from a programmer's.

L

L-Man

I must say the hype about Firefox is nothing but just a hype.
It may be safer but I don't get the same speed from it as I do on IE6
Some time when I use my 56Kbs dial up I have to click GO 2ce to get it
to display.

L

L-Man

I have Opera too I use them all to test web designs but I think I should now but it to a better use.

Status
Not open for further replies.