Welcome to WebmasterServe!

FREE TO JOIN! Join us now to engage in informative and friendly discussions about Webmastering, SEO, SEM, Internet Marketing, Programming, Graphic Design, Online Jobs and more. What are you waiting for? Ready to join our friendly community? It takes just one minute to register.

Dismiss Notice

Join WebmasterServe Forums 
Join the discussion! Have a better idea or an opinion? It takes just one minute to register Click Here to Join

Tutorial For Students: Balancing Your Time Between Studying And Freelancing

Discussion in 'Freelancer Forum' started by cheezcarls, Feb 11, 2016.

1. cheezcarls

cheezcarls It's Game Time!
    Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +162 / -0
    [​IMG]

Hello to all freelancers like me!

Oh well, it looks like that the weekend is fast approaching once again. Some of you may be taking a break, while others are experimenting on something for their dreams. Well of course, every freelancer has a dream to become successful, and so am I. The reason that you want to succeed as a freelancer is because you want to help yourself, your family and others who can make a difference as well in their respective fields. But most of us here in this world are relying on office jobs and receives payslip every two weeks, only to find out that their hardwork was drained away due to so many bills to pay.

The reason? It's because they are not open minded in looking for some alternative ways to earn income, and freelancing is one of the best choices you ever make. Although I respect other ways for us to earn money on top of our office job, but freelancing is the basic part. But this is not only applicable for those who are already working, but also for students as well. This is one reason that in this article that I'm going to share today, it is all about balancing your mind and time on studying and working as a student freelancer.

First of all, how come that a student can become a freelancer even though that he or she should prioritize studying? You know what guys, I was there before when I become a freelancer while I am a graduating student. My dad is usually against it, but I told him my deepest reasons in which I can balance my time between studying and freelancing. I was introduced to freelancing way back in April 2009 when I have a summer class. It opened my eyes that I could earn extra money on top of my dad's allowance to me despite that he's against it for a bit. However, it does give me the advantage to save some money for the future.

There was one time that me and my dad had an argument that I spend too much time on freelancing than my studies, but the thing is I only have two subjects in college on my final semester, and it's not going to make a conflict anyway. But for those of you who have many subjects and wants to do freelancing at the same time, I think this article is to be meant for you, and I'm going to start this tutorial right now.

[​IMG]

Now the question is, how are you going to balance your mind and commitment between studying and working as a freelancer, and I think it's going to be that simple.....

1. First, you need to have an organizer. It could be in your notebook or on the computer itself. For sure, you will be needing this in order to stay on track between your studying time and your working time as a freelancer.

2. Next, you should look over your class schedules and see what time are you usually vacant. If working students in the library or administrators office can balance their time between working and studying, so are we. I suggest that you should not do freelancing when your break time is only 1 to 2 hours before you report to another class.

3. The next thing you do is to identify which vacant schedule is suitable enough for you to do some extra freelancing work. As students, you still have to prioritize more on studying as this tutorial is only meant for you to have extra money and not making it full time yet. For example, if you have a long vacant schedule which is five to six hours before the class, you can simply take like 2-3 hours in doing some freelance work. However, if your schedule is so tight, you might wanna do that during night time and spend some extra 1-2 hours for that. But I would strongly advice that you should skip freelancing when it's an exam day, as you really need to study in order to pass the exam.

4. Make sure that you have enough rest, at least six to eight hours of sleep. However, if you have high resistance by taking multivitamins and a healthy diet, for sure you can still have the energy to do some extra work like no other. In this way, it's your chance that the mind will be fully relaxed for another round of study and freelancing tomorrow.

I don't know if you guys can relate to this, but at least this would be helpful for students a bit. If you have any questions or concerns, just reply on this thread of mine. Cheers!

2. masterbusiness

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +32 / -0
    Time management is one skill that you need to develop especially when you juggle two things at the same time. If you are a student who does some freelance work on the side, then that's good for you because at least you get to earn while doing what you do best. However, just make sure that your studies won't suffer as a result of it. Devote hours for studying and devote hours for work. Most importantly, there should also be time for rest.

3. Swati Mishra

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +105 / -0
    It is very to difficult to balancing the time between studying and freelancing, but if you want you can do this nothing is impossible. But your article is making it easy to manage it. I will suggest to those students they are doing freelancing and study both.

4. masterbusiness

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +32 / -0
    I admire students who also look for jobs as a freelancer. It just goes to show that they want to make the most of their time and use their free schedule to earn money for themselves and probably for their families as well.

5. juliets_journal

White Belt

Ratings:
    +8 / -0
    My greatest challenge as a freelancer too is time management. Thanks for the post above. Really helpful and informative too. I hope that after I put the tips you have listed above into practice, I can be able to balance my time properly and earn a lot of money while still doing well in my studies. It would be a shame to neglect your studies for freelancing and also it is sad to suffer due to lack of money yet you can invest a few of your time on the internet and make some extra cash.
    Balancing is really crucial.

6. cheezcarls

cheezcarls It's Game Time!
    Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +162 / -0
    Absolutely it's difficult than ever. I even had a difficult time balancing two thesis subjects in one semester, but gladly I overcome it and passed both. Nothing is really impossible as long you believe. Same thing goes with freelancing and other life aspects.

I agree on what you have said about balancing is crucial. Yes for me, I had a hard time managing my studies and freelancing tasks. I do freelancing before when I was a graduating student, because I was not satisfied of the weekly allowance that my parents gave me. I only have $10+ in a week, but freelancing gave me more than $5 to $10 a day and it helped me buy the things I wanted.

7. Doominic anderson

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +21 / -0
    Time management is very important not for only student who also work as a freelancer,but for everyone who involved in any type of work.
    It is difficult to manage time if you are involved in more than one work,but if you are able to manage the time then you will be successful in your field.
    Students should follow the above suggestion,if you want to be the best

8. justiinn

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +28 / -0
    I completely agree with you. your article will really help students to manage time and to earn money as well.
    i am also a student so i completely understand how difficult it is to maintain a balance between your work and your study.
    i am also taking projects from freelancer.somehow i manage to balance between them.
    freelancer is very helpful to earn money and to buy whatever i want to without graduation if you have proper knowledge.

9. steve taylor

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +25 / -0
    If you are able to manage your time then you can do anything you want. Time management is the part of life if you manage your time then you may also you are able to complete your task on time and you can enjoy you life with happiness. I am also doing freelancing job by efficient time management.

10. SirJoe

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +6 / -0
    It's a tricky business trying to balance multiple things in your life. It really comes down to one thing, organization. If you are organized and don't start accumulating things or trying to put everything onto the same day you will surprised what can be done.