Welcome to WebmasterServe!

FREE TO JOIN! Join us now to engage in informative and friendly discussions about Webmastering, SEO, SEM, Internet Marketing, Programming, Graphic Design, Online Jobs and more. What are you waiting for? Ready to join our friendly community? It takes just one minute to register.

Dismiss Notice

Join WebmasterServe Forums 
Join the discussion! Have a better idea or an opinion? It takes just one minute to register Click Here to Join

My 2 Cents Forum Moderation

Discussion in 'General Forum Management Topics' started by sunshine, Jan 15, 2016.

1. sunshine

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +128 / -0
    Forum moderator oversee the communication movement of an Internet forum. He monitors the exchange of contributors and makes decisions regarding content and the direction of threads. Moving discussions from one section to another to keep topics planned is also a common job for a forum moderator.
    If the tone of a forum becomes hostile or starts to move in the direction of personal attacks, the forum moderator usually has the discretion to lock the discussion to prevent heated, interchanges.

2. Zirkon Kalti

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +120 / -0
    Every forum moderator that is hired to supervise the forum should spend time to read the rules of the community for a few times until they become familiar with them. You must not forget to spend time to check the forum you are responsible for monitoring a few times every day. If you have a day job, you can check during your free time such as lunch break. If you don't want forum members to break rules, make sure you start a thread and list down the rules for the specific subforum. As moderator, you must be active in the forum and post frequently.

3. saratrunk

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +5 / -0
    I have been a moderator and Admin on a few websites also.
    There are times when people are absolutely trying to follow rules. For the most part, people are decent when they're a part of a community.

4. sunshine

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +128 / -0
    @saratrunk I respect you and thanks for your interaction in this thread. But keep in mind there is too much difference in moderation of a Website and Forum. Forum moderation is a bit difficult and need to prompt monitor and track all activities.

#4 sunshine, Jan 15, 2016 at 10:51 AM
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  5. saratrunk

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +5 / -0
    I do understand the difference & the purpose behind both of them & for what type of audience they are created.

Its just i mentioned that people do follow rules & dont go against the terms of the place they are in whether its a web or forum.

6. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    I think one of the important roles of a forum moderator is to identify spam messages and put a check on that. A moderator can also take other members into confidence to identify potential spams. Members should be given an option to report spam messages to the moderator (I think most of the forums already do that). It is the most tedious job ever I think. Yes, conflict management is also an area which requires a lot of effort and focus.

A moderator should also check quality of posts in idea generation and presentation.

7. ipol12

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +26 / -0
    When it comes to website moderation, it is much easier as you only check the contents. Unless you need to moderate the comments section too. Sadly, there were lots of bad comments inany sites and they were not moderated.

While in forum moderations, it is not that easy too as you will check if forum contributors are not accordingly to the site's rules. The positive side is, most contributors are receptive to the rules. Though, not everyone follow the rules.

8. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    I think a forum is somewhat scattered than a website I think. That makes forum moderation a difficult task. I have seen some forums employ a number of moderators and each one is attached to a particular section. That can make the job quite easier and it can make moderation very effective without any omissions.

If there is only a single moderator for the whole forum it would not be practical for him to keep an eye on each and every section, especially in a highly populated forum.

9. sunshine

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +128 / -0
    @networld Yes sure, Moreover discussion is the beauty and flexibility of a forum. Group discussion can help students; online marketers and businessmen to develop their skills ever more ... Although clear their concepts by understanding through discussion and clarification; receive and give feedback and motivate newbie. While the prospective learning and culture benefits of group networks are significant and simple.

10. Alexandoy

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +18 / -0
    This thread reminds me of a local (Philippines) forum that I joined. In a month's time, I had gained so many followings because of the style of my posts which was always bent on humor. After a few months of being popular, I joined the so called eyeball and my popularity even went higher. After some time, I noticed that a moderator, a global moderator at that, was getting envious and eventually he took potshots of my posts as if he was trying to find a hole. And then there were 3 of them bullying me. And since I do not earn anything from that site, I left just like that. Most of the members know the reason why I left and some of them are still my friends in Facebook until now (the incident happened in 2007).

I had posted this experience to let the moderators know that the site can suffer if they let their emotions guide them.

11. ipol12

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +26 / -0
    What a sad story you had from moderators. I do think such moderators do exists. It can be understandable that their work is not an easy job, but they should not be hitting back at someone.

12. rayone

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +23 / -0
    I have been doing this for two Indian sites for last three years and have faced lots of hard headed members who thought what they were doing was not against the rules. I do not delete posts unless must but try to make them understand the rules first. But some of them had taken me to the point where I either deleted their account or banned them for different period. It's a thankless job in most cases.

13. ipol12

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +26 / -0
    It must be a tough job. As much as you don't want to delete or ban accounts with thoughts of it might hurt them, you ahve to do it to clean the site up and that's what you've been paid for.

14. rayone

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +23 / -0
    @ipol12@ipol12 yes it is as long I do not feel irritated to the limit where I have to block them but generally I seldom reach to that stage but keep my cool. I know some of them are too self centered and they can do what they like to but it's always a sorry scene when they realize their mistake in open forums.

15. ipol12

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +26 / -0
    To be honest, I noticed one comment in a forum site which the commenter is too rude for saying a word that is not good for the ears to hear. I am not a moderator but I feel it is too offensive. In every comment that person makes are often negative. I think those are the kinds of people you are seeing in forum sites.

16. rayone

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +23 / -0
    I take up to a limit but being second in command and with full administrative authority I never hesitate removing such people from the site. Abusing and hot exchanges are not allowed at any cost. That brings bad name to site besides other members feel bad hearing such conversation.

17. ipol12

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +26 / -0
    I even noticed a commenter saying the question of the post is stupid. Do you think such comment will pass? I mean, some posts may be lacking some sense but it can be meaningful if commenters knew how to comment in a way that draw other members to comment. Bad mouthing leaves no healthy conversations on threads.

18. rayone

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +23 / -0
    We are otherwise very liberal as long the member concerned is making it too rude or abusive but yes we have a limit and if someone makes it a point to cross it then of course there are not many options left.

19. ipol12

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +26 / -0
    I see. Anyways, if a member is banned, is there still a way that he/she can go back to posting? I mean is there a period of time for them to reactivate again? I am in a forum site wherein a person was banned after getting negative reputation points, but able to go back. I think deletion and banning is different.

20. rayone

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +23 / -0
    Yes members can be taken back if they are banned temporarily but if their accounts are removed then they can come back with another account if we feel they have realized their mistake. After all all sites need more members that contribute to websites' benefit.