ipol12

Yellow Belt
Yes members can be taken back if they are banned temporarily but if their accounts are removed then they can come back with another account if we feel they have realized their mistake. After all all sites need more members that contribute to websites' benefit.
Okay. Now it's clear. I had come to know how difficult the tasks of a moderator. Though, it may be a privilege too. :)

pwarbi

When it comes to moderating a forum, the site owner needs to be very careful as to exactly who they bring in to help them.

A moderator needs to get on well with the members, but also act on any requests that the admin says so sometimes it can be a tricky job to keep everyone happy in the long run.

networld

When it comes to moderating a forum, the site owner needs to be very careful as to exactly who they bring in to help them.

A moderator needs to get on well with the members, but also act on any requests that the admin says so sometimes it can be a tricky job to keep everyone happy in the long run.
That is quite right. It is tricky to carry on the show without compromising on the quality. A forum moderator's role is very important for the long term sustainability of a forum and at the same time he could not make the users unhappy. But he needs to be strict with spammers and should give warning signal at the first instance itself. If he allows it for the first time, it may become a culture in the forum. Then it would be very difficult to control it.

A good moderator will try to be active in all sections by posting messages. His presence itself make spammers aware of the situation and discourage them from posting any spam messages.

ipol12

Yellow Belt
That is quite right. It is tricky to carry on the show without compromising on the quality. A forum moderator's role is very important for the long term sustainability of a forum and at the same time he could not make the users unhappy. But he needs to be strict with spammers and should give warning signal at the first instance itself. If he allows it for the first time, it may become a culture in the forum. Then it would be very difficult to control it.

A good moderator will try to be active in all sections by posting messages. His presence itself make spammers aware of the situation and discourage them from posting any spam messages.
I knew some moderators in the site, commenting and responding in some threads too. They even transfer a forum if it doesn't fit in a category members has created that thread. It is also visible if a moderator is in a thread as it shows who are online and currently in that thread.

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
As a moderator, the key is to establish some sort of a balance between enforcing rules and supporting community members. I hate when I have to ban members due to spam, but I have learnt to recognize which members are joining just to post spammy threads with links, they don't realize that spamming links is not good SEO, they think posting a bunch of links in their first post on thousands of forums will help their website rankings - this was the old method and no reputable site will be using such methods to advertising or marketing.

When I have a doubt that a member is not actually trying to spam but has posted a link for legitimate purpose such as guiding other members to useful online resources or providing a link so other members can comment and advice, we do not punish such members. When some members do violate such terms knowingly, they are given an Infraction Warning which does not impact their usage of the forum, but repeated violations and Infractions may ultimately disable their access to the forum.

networld

That was quite informative. So a moderator has to strike a balance between controlling spammers and at the same time supporting the members. But sometimes a moderator would be left with no other option but to ban the user. I think tolerating deliberate spammers would send a wrong message to the entire community and chances are that others may also follow these spammers. Some members may take it for granted thinking that the forum Admin is quite lenient on spammers.

So a forum moderator should know very well where to draw the line

pwarbi

I don't think it's up to the moderator to ban persistent offenders on a forum, that should be down to the site owner. The moderator can warn and delete the offending posts, but they should only be able to refer the member to the site owner when it comes to banning them, in my opinion.

If a moderator gets too much power, it might start to interfere with the general running of the site, and they have to try and be fair to everyone, not just the people they like.

networld

I don't think it's up to the moderator to ban persistent offenders on a forum, that should be down to the site owner. The moderator can warn and delete the offending posts, but they should only be able to refer the member to the site owner when it comes to banning them, in my opinion.

If a moderator gets too much power, it might start to interfere with the general running of the site, and they have to try and be fair to everyone, not just the people they like.
You are right, sorry for the confusion. What I mean is that the moderator can initiate the process and ultimate authority should be with the owner anyway. In some cases both owner and moderator could be one person and there would not be any confusion. If moderator is quite efficient he cannot be wrong and the owner will admit what the moderator suggests him to do.

I too think the ultimate authority should be with the forum owner. A moderator could be biased at times and also may show favoritism under certain circumstances. An ideal moderator should be fair with each and every member of a forum.

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
Moderators can be of different levels or ranks just like members, some Moderators can have power to ban and other moderators are only given power to warn or give infraction points. It all depends on how the forum is setup, the roles assigned to various moderators, etc. Some moderators are only assigned to specific forums and even specific threads sometimes, and some moderators can manage the entire site - all forums in the site.

The above is so true, there are forums where moderators try to favor their friends or certain members while punishing other members unfairly. When moderators are themselves abusing their power, it is the site administrator's job to interfere and make sure they are not ruining the community atmosphere by allowing such moderators to function. At WMS, members have option to open a support ticket without logging in, this way they can communicate directly with forum admins if they have been unfairly treated by a moderator.

djweb

Forum moderation is a serious business. You should keep an eye out for trouble makers and make sure the vibe of the forum does not get affected in any way. Other than that, I am not too big on strictly enforcing certain rules. For example, I don't jump in every time a heated passionate discussion takes place.

pwarbi

That's why I think it's important that mods, admins and owners keep to their own specific roles on the forum, and only have a working relationship rather than a personal one.

At the end of the day, all three should have the best interests of the forum at heart, and not be there for their own reasons.

Intellobots

Intellobots provides Software development, Mobile application development, web designing, web development, web app development, PHP development, Seo services, Internet marketing and digital marketing services, domain name registration and Web hosting for your business.
Intellobots the most affordable, reliable, tech-enabled enterprise benefitting software in the space. We proudly build every part of the product/service offering in-house as we do not believe in outsourcing
Intellobots’s experts are ready to share their unique technical expertise and provide relevant data on the current state of the market and key trends in the industry.
Ranging from a simple ticketing tool to answer customer support to a Cloud based Point of Sale, we have got everything to suit your requirement.
Intellobots providing advanced technologies and solutions to public sector organizations like departments of transportation, transit agencies, highway departments, turnpike agencies, port authorities, regional transportation districts, and toll agencies.

Monica Chortle

Yellow Belt
I take up to a limit but being second in command and with full administrative authority I never hesitate removing such people from the site. Abusing and hot exchanges are not allowed at any cost. That brings bad name to site besides other members feel bad hearing such conversation.
Thank you so much for your valuable share.