Forum Spam

Status
Not open for further replies.

jono

White Belt
There's no question that forum spam is a massive issue. I happen to own a forum which has been included on lists of "good do-follow forums for posting links on" so I get a bunch of it.

The most common solution seems to be to prevent people from posting links, which definitely fixes the issue however it frustrating for someone who is trying to legitimately direct people to interesting places on the internet.

Personally I took a different approach, I used the forum moderation features. Using a vBulletin plug-in any posts containing a URL made by users with less than a certain number of posts are placed in moderation - therefore needing a moderator to approve it before they'll appear publicly. I also added a few other keywords like iphone and nokia because I kept getting people trying to sell mobile phones.

This does add some more maintenance work for me and people can experience a delay before their posts appear, however I think it works.

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
I approach the spamming issue in a similar way to you, users with less than say 10 15 post cannot post link.

BTW, what is the url of your foum?

There's no question that forum spam is a massive issue. I happen to own a forum which has been included on lists of "good do-follow forums for posting links on" so I get a bunch of it.

The most common solution seems to be to prevent people from posting links, which definitely fixes the issue however it frustrating for someone who is trying to legitimately direct people to interesting places on the internet.

Personally I took a different approach, I used the forum moderation features. Using a vBulletin plug-in any posts containing a URL made by users with less than a certain number of posts are placed in moderation - therefore needing a moderator to approve it before they'll appear publicly. I also added a few other keywords like iphone and nokia because I kept getting people trying to sell mobile phones.

This does add some more maintenance work for me and people can experience a delay before their posts appear, however I think it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.