Help Me/Question Forums Vs Social Media!

networld

As you already know nowadays the whole net is flooded with many social networking sites and forums, which one do you think is going to gain more popularity in coming days?

If you ask me I would say both of them are entirely different. Social media site is used to communicate with friends and family members. Forums are of more professional in nature. It is more focused on a topic or subject. A lot of people use forums to update their knowledge, clear doubts and troubleshoot their issues. So, I believe a comparison between forums and social media site is not justifiable.

What are your thoughts on this?

Alexandoy

A forum is more direct because it has a theme. So comparing a forum and a social media is like comparing a theme park with an open park where anything is possible. Aside from the theme of the forum, the conversation or exchange of comments is direct because there are boards for categories and there are topics for the specific discussion. In othe words, a forum is organized in terms of topics and subject matter while social media is just a facility of communicating and getting connected to other people.

krishatg

Content Writer
Forums are for the people having common interest to share knowledge ,experiences,taking help and much more formal discussions. They are more productive then the social media which is more to communicate with the family or friends , sharing personal things etc.

networld

A forum is more direct because it has a theme. So comparing a forum and a social media is like comparing a theme park with an open park where anything is possible. Aside from the theme of the forum, the conversation or exchange of comments is direct because there are boards for categories and there are topics for the specific discussion. In othe words, a forum is organized in terms of topics and subject matter while social media is just a facility of communicating and getting connected to other people.
I think that is the crux of it. A forum is very direct in approach as people join there exclusively to discuss on certain topics. But a social media platform does not have any particular focus, but it got a wider scope than a forum. People generally use social media sites to interact with their friends and relatives.

But I think a forum is more useful to clear your doubts on certain points. Some technology forums are great troubleshooters and also you can see a lot candid reviews about latest products.

Ramakrishnan

I find forums very useful and informative. Though I have knowledge only on some limited categories, different threads on the forums based on the valuable knowledge and experience of the members helped me tremendously to have an exposure to different topics in the world of web. I could clear my doubts on several issues and learn a lot while sharing my little thoughts.

pwarbi

Social media for me will never replace forums, as they are two separate things. I use forums to talk to like minded people about specific topics that we're both interested in.

Social media I mainly use to interact with friends and family about everything and anything, so for me, my use of them both is completely different so both can work side by side.

networld

I also don't think social media will ever replace forums or vice versa. This is just like smartphones replacing computers. Both have different objectives and they are doing well in their areas. Forums got a specific goal or objective with it, whereas a social media site is quite general in nature. You can see people discussing about a wide variety of topics in social media. But a forum is very focused.

Vinaya

I think more people will stick to forum. The only reason that I can think is you can find paid forums where you will earn some kinds of compensation for posting, however, social media is just for social interaction without any compensation.

masterbusiness

Content Writer
I don't think that social media should be compared with forum since they are created for different purposes. Social media aims to strengthen relationships while forum are created to exchange ideas or experiences in a particular field of interest.

steve taylor

White Belt
I think forum site is your class teacher you ask question and your teacher give you answer of your question.
But social networking sites are your funny friends.
Social networking site generally use for entertainment purpose and close messaging purpose.
but forum sites teach you and you get knowledge of any thing you want.
I like forum sites.

bharath

Staff member
In my view forums are the best way to get help from knowledge people, while social media is for fun those who don't have knowledge. Developing forums is good for even small webmasters, social media need bunch of monies.

Everyone may get help in forums, children will be able to browse forums while Social media flood with love quotes. Social media mainly used by teenagers and they spend a lot of time for Facebook instead of study.

Zirkon Kalti

Content Writer
Forum is where you get response on an issue you are facing from members while social media let you maintain an ongoing relationship with your existing customers. Your customers can voice their complaints on the social media network so that you can quickly resolve it.