My 2 Cents General Manager Responsibilities

sunshine

Blue Belt
A General Manager is a central managing administrator in a company. In small business companies, usually General Managers are liable for all system operations. But in huge organizations, GMs responsible for a particular department like sales, purchase, manufacturing, advertising, acquisition etc.
The GM of an organization or industry simply takes instructions from their Executive or Chief Operating Officer. According to the total arrange for the business, they set certain goals with their own departments.

Let’s share some good qualities and key responsibilities of General Manager of a company.

networld

I think the importance of a General Manager position is different in various organizations. For example in a big MNC there will be too many layers above him like Associate Vice President, Vice president and then Chief Executive Officer. But in a medium sized organization the role of a General Manager is somewhat very important.

I think the first and foremost quality of a General Manger should be his ability to see the big picture. He should be able to see the future of the company in clear terms. Secondly he should be highly customer sensitive and should be able to cascade the customer friendly culture below the level. Thirdly he should be cost effective and chalk out plans to boost profit by minimizing the expenses. Fourthly he should be able to influence the levels below him to work towards a common goal.

Alexandoy

This is not to brag but I used to be the General Manager of a Japanese software house. A good GM is one who is on top of everything, from the input like supplies up to the output particularly the finished product. Japanese businessmen are always looking at the quality which is paramount to them so a GM should adapt to their style. Not just one checking but twice or even thrice to check the programs before sending off to the main office in Japan. Overall, a GM is in charge of everything so he should have full control on all the people under him.

jowjow

I think one of the best characteristic of a General Manager is he knows the whole process. He knows everything or anything about their procedure. He should also know everyone under him, their capabilities, their attitude, he knows how he can make his people give their best in every single thing they do. he must also know how to give credit where credit is due.

suleman

Content Writer
General managers possess some skills to handle the staff. Helping the workers and directing them to perform their responsibilities tirelessly and complete the tasks before they are asked to submit.

Not only he handles the staff, but he delegates some administrative tasks as well such as paperwork and accounting.

rayone

A general manager should be a team man with the quality to listen to each and every suggestion coming from every level of his team members without being too bossy. You never know what a junior team member can suggest you that will help solve management's problems.

cheezcarls

It's Game Time!
My sister's friend is a general manager of a huge bank company for years, and he has been doing well in his job at a young age. His salary is huge, and now he owns a brand new car. The reason why he is doing such a good job is because he knows to manage his employees well. He is not just a general manager who just simply orders his employees to do this and do that, but he really cares for them. It simply reminds me of myself being a custom relations manager before, that I really care for my staff during my tenure in Virtual Helper 247.

rayone

My sister's friend is a general manager of a huge bank company for years, and he has been doing well in his job at a young age. His salary is huge, and now he owns a brand new car. The reason why he is doing such a good job is because he knows to manage his employees well. He is not just a general manager who just simply orders his employees to do this and do that, but he really cares for them. It simply reminds me of myself being a custom relations manager before, that I really care for my staff during my tenure in Virtual Helper 247.
No manager can survive unless he is a good team man whatever his quality as the company is like a ship and the GM is captain of the ship who cannot carry out all the functions on his own. He has to rely upon others for various activities and support from each member of his team. Yes, GM is responsible for taking all the decisions and deciding the course of plan.

Ramakrishnan

General Manager of a company should have a broad vision and mission, and should be capable to motivate his subordinates, holding the anchor of the teamwork in the managerial level. He should know the psychology of human relations and should have an open mind to patiently listen to every simple suggestion from the lower level. His quality of decision making is most important.

sunshine

Blue Belt
Hello Mates!
Most welcome all of you friends. This time I'm really happy to see different unique, valuable suggestions and experiences. Especially @Alexandoy and @cheezcarls. Among their particular responsibilities, the GMs are required to set prefer targets and plan and proper manage programs to achieve them. Manage to appoint department heads and hold completely business reform when needed.

networld

No manager can survive unless he is a good team man whatever his quality as the company is like a ship and the GM is captain of the ship who cannot carry out all the functions on his own. He has to rely upon others for various activities and support from each member of his team. Yes, GM is responsible for taking all the decisions and deciding the course of plan.
That is a valid point I think. Team-spirit is one of the basic qualities of a successful General Manager. He has to lead a team and should be able to keep them united toward a common goal. At the same time he has to encourage good performers and give advise to those who are struggling. In fact a General Manager's success depends on his team's success. But it is quite difficult to keep a team working towards a goal as it comprises of people with different mindsets. That is the big challenge of a General Manager and a GM is actually meant for that.

masterbusiness

Content Writer
This is where one could say that one hires smart people to help improve the business and they shouldn't be treated as learners. A general manager is hired so owners will no longer have a hard time ensuring a good flow of the business.

steve taylor

White Belt
Yes general manager responsibility not take any ordinary person.
If you have a company then you are your company manager as well as CEO.
But it is possible if your business is small but if your businesses is large and its branches are more then not possible to handle it self.
Your need is hire a person to care your business with manager label.

Doominic anderson

White Belt
Yes,general manger of a company is responsible for growth of a company by sells,advertise,promotion strategy for it's products launched by the company.In small businesses general manager takes all the action in favor of the company,but in big company his/her responsibility is limited and he/she responsible for follow the order of CEO and MD of the company and takes a good action to that order to enhance the company sell and growth.

Pooja Sharma

General Manager is responsible for leading the teams, achieving business goals, setting targets.They have to respond to employee concerns in timely manner. They determine staffing requirements and ensure that office positions are filled promptly. General Manager have to ensure that employees follow company policies and procedures and no non compliance activity is being done.

Zirkon Kalti

Content Writer
A good manager is committed to help his/her team member to bring the project into success. He will respect and connect with the employees on human level. Besides, a good manager is versatile and able to adjust to different circumstances.

VIVEK KUMAR

White Belt
Manager is a managing part of your business it not matter your business is online or offline if you want to manage your business perfectly then you want to hire a good manager for your business to handle all managing works of your business.

sunshine

Blue Belt
A good manager is committed to help his/her team member to bring the project into success. He will respect and connect with the employees on human level. Besides, a good manager is versatile and able to adjust to different circumstances.
Sure, a good manager attract exceptional staff, if there's a pecking order of management then it keeps the whole operation running smoothly.