Google Automated Meta Title Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wooly Worcester

Yellow Belt
I have noticed on a few of my websites and a client's site that the meta title has suddenly changed?

Very peculiar.. it seems that if you have the following title:

A Great Website Selling Great Stuff | The Great Website (www.thegreatwebsite.com)

It now reads in Google:

The Great Website: A Great Website Selling Great Stuff

I thought I was going mad and couldn't understand why one of my client sites was displaying the meta title different to how I have created, the description seems the same.

It seems as though on certain sites, if you have the company name in the meta title, it now appears first with a colon immdeiately after it. Anyone else noticed this or am I the only one affected.

Cheers

Wooly Worcester

Yellow Belt
I'm wondering if Title Tags are now better for pure keywords and don't bother mentioning the company title, if it is in the domain name. Obviously if it's not in the domain name you'll need to tell customers who you are. If that makes sense? I used to think Google penalized those who keyword stuff in the title, it seems not to be the case from what I can see.

If you type in Golf Equipment (in the UK) the top site has the following title:
Golf equipment, golf clubs, golf bags, golf shoes, golf balls & golf ...

Evgeniy

Yellow Belt
Well, it seems that Google only places brand name (site name) in front of title tag. By the way, I see that if you don't have a brand name in the title, Google are not changing the title in SERP.

I used to think Google penalized those who keyword stuff in the title, it seems not to be the case from what I can see.

I don't hear that Google penalized those who keyword stuff in the title. The first site you see in the SERP in google.co.uk is very strong site direct-golf.co.uk.

P.S. Last time we hear many news from Google.

jake

Yellow Belt
I'm wondering if Title Tags are now better for pure keywords and don't bother mentioning the company title, if it is in the domain name. Obviously if it's not in the domain name you'll need to tell customers who you are. If that makes sense? I used to think Google penalized those who keyword stuff in the title, it seems not to be the case from what I can see.

I don't think one should follow bad example even if it seem to be working for someone else, pure keywords in title is not a good practise

Status
Not open for further replies.