Have you been called a Geek?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadoweater

Yellow Belt
geek

Most days at work despite working in IT like the rest of my colleagues

but i use Linux so I'm seen as nerdy despite Linux being (imho) easier to use than windows

Peace

hugodiaz

Yellow Belt
When I was young, yes. Haha, but in the last 5 years no one has called me a geek. Maybe that means my mind is not as sharp as before? :(

Stephanie

Yellow Belt
hugodiaz said:
When I was young, yes. Haha, but in the last 5 years no one has called me a geek. Maybe that means my mind is not as sharp as before? :(
I am sure it is nothing to do with how sharp you actually are but with peoples stereotypes of geeks. There is a view that geeks are youngish males (usually very thin or perhaps very fat) who are good with technology but useless with people.

Of course, as with all stereotypes, they are sometimes wrong!

Although I don't class myself as a techie anymore I was very technically minded when I was working in IT (as a systems engineer playing with operating systems and very handy with the screwdriver too!) People were always suprised when I turned up as I went against all the stereotypes (female, slim, blond and very sociable - and at the time of course very young!).

Now I interview techies for my research and when I tell students that they immediately bring up all the stereotypes again...

Status
Not open for further replies.