Help Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Ardenn

It seems to me that one of the biggest things over at the SMF and the LSP sites are help forums.  PHP Scripting Help, Portal Software Help, HTML Help etc.  Maybe a category like that would aid in getting site traffic.

SoaringUSAEagle

Yellow Belt
I think that is a great idea.  And yes, over at SMF, that is a huge category and those guys over there are extremely friendly and knowledgeable.  I will talk to CT about this.  You may also want to post, or PM more of your thoughts on this. 

My vote is a yes for this, but CT has the final say.

CrazyTech

Yellow Belt
I added a CMS/Script discussion forum - that's something no other webmaster board really has (or at least very few). We currently have the Programming Forum for those who wanted to discuss that topic. Were you guys thinking more specific?

A

Ardenn

I was thinking specifically a PHP section for PHP problems, an HTML section for HTML problems, a CSS section.. yadda yadda.    For instance, If I have a PHP or MySQL problem, I always go running to the LSP or SMF community for a solution.  BUT.... They really are not there for that..  They are their for SMF and LSP.   

What would also be interesting is to start posting "articles" concerning various functions in PHP, how - to's etc....  Each week one of us could take a small bit of code and explain how it works.  Tie that in with the portal communities and forum communities. 

The issue for me is this , and I imagine that Im not alone, There are so many different functions, commands, THINGS in PHP, ASP, mySQL, whatever.. that I find it hard to seperate what I need to learn from what I dont need to learn.  I also run into trouble understanding where to start.  If this community can prove to be that.... bridge to understanding, it can be succesful.

SoaringUSAEagle

Yellow Belt
[quote author=Ardenn link=topic=52.msg219#msg219 date=1087503051]
What would also be interesting is to start posting "articles" concerning various functions in PHP, how - to's etc....  Each week one of us could take a small bit of code and explain how it works.  Tie that in with the portal communities and forum communities. 
[/quote]

Nope you surely arent alone and I think you have great ideas.  CT decided to bump you up to Skipper, so welcome aboard  :).  Yeah I think something like that would be good.  It will take some time go get going tho.  This place is still new and I cant wait for it to take off. 

I am just kinda here for now.... not much I will be able to do in less than a week.  And I wont be home for just over 2 months.  I wish you guys the best and hope to come home to a busy busy forum with lots of great people!

Whatever you decide to do is ok with me CT and Ardenn.

:)

CrazyTech

Yellow Belt
Sounds like you are certainly on to something there. If you'd like, go ahead and create that section. I think right now we could create a helpcenter forum and then have each invidual forum inside. Eventually we could move it to it's own category and have the forums. Does that sound good to you guys?

SoaringUSAEagle

Yellow Belt
Sounds good to me.  It's really up to you two until I get home in September lol.  I am sure you two can handle this with no problem.  Yeah, whatever you decide is fine with me.  A help center would surely be nice though.

SoaringUSAEagle

Yellow Belt
And, how about adding a category just for us admins so we can go in and post our thoughts and such.  PM's would work, but with a category just for us, it would make it easier and more profitable for all of us... because we would be able to see everyone's views easier instead of sending 2 PMs out.

SMF has an identical option with the Charter Members... We have our own little category.  I think after you make it, you can go in and limit the access to certain member groups.

A

Ardenn

From a team building standpoint I agree whole heartedly with CT.  If you are going to have folks contributing to the same cause they need to be able to communicate in one single place.  If messages need to be sent privately, thats what the PM's are for.

Status
Not open for further replies.