My Suggestion How Important Is ‘avatar’ In A Forum Profile?

networld

I have seen some forum owners are very particular about having an avatar for each and every member. I think an avatar is an excellent way to give a unique look and it also gives you an identity in the group. Other members would be able to recognize a person easily using his avatar.

A profile without an avatar seems like a faceless person and other members seldom identify his contributions in the forum. But using a good avatar in your profile will help other members easily remember your part in discussions. It is rightly said that a picture is worth a thousand words.

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
As a forum administrator, I find myself reminding members to upload and avatar and fill out their profile information. In a sense, being on a forum with no profile information and no avatar shows that members are not interested in creating their identity on the forum and not interested in becoming a part of the community. When you upload an avatar, it is a form of your identity just like your username, often times when we are browsing for a specific member's post or comment, we can scroll through the entire page and easily find their post based on their avatar, this would take much longer to accomplish if we were to read every username to locate the member we are interested in finding.

Filling out your profile information helps other members know about your background and to collaborate and network. If other members know that you are a Web Developer or have interest in Photography or SEO, they might be interested in networking with you or following your posts to learn from you. Since forums are platforms for learning and collaboration, I believe uploading your own avatars and filling out your profile information plays a big role in making the community more cohesive and friendly. Who would want to see a bunch of WMS default avatars throughout a thread in every post?

Vinaya

Avatar is your face value. You will be recognize from the avatar. I can recognize many people from the avatars they use (as long as they are using the dame avatar on various platforms). It does not matter, whether you use your own photo as avatar or images of other person or things, but the most important thing is you should have a face to show.

Alexandoy

I have joined several forums with a strict requirement for an avatar (your real photo, emphasized). When I started joining forums, I chose my best picture, waheehee, then I decided to make it my profile picture or avatar in all my internet dealings. So there, what you see in my avatar is the real me, the picture taken in 2013 in the streets of Hongkong. Some writers already know my name because I never use any other name and my picture as well.

challengewriter

Lara
Blue Belt
I think it is not very important and at the same time it is, as it show's one is ready to commit to a site. It differentiates between spammers and trolls, as those never really have time to upload profile pictures.

networld

Avatar is your face value. You will be recognize from the avatar. I can recognize many people from the avatars they use (as long as they are using the dame avatar on various platforms). It does not matter, whether you use your own photo as avatar or images of other person or things, but the most important thing is you should have a face to show.
I totally agree with your points. An avatar is certainly the personal identity of a member in the forum. Yes, some forums are not so strict on Avatars, but I think we need to put it ourselves. I don't think if any forum will make it mandatory to put your own photo. I usually use different avatars for different forums, but try to link it with the over all topic of the forum. I also choose a username which suits the atmosphere of a forum. I don't know whether it is the right way or not, but I like it to be that way.

Ramakrishnan

An avatar is an identity of a member and even if it is not the real photo of the person it is very important. It helps easy identification of the member in a single glance, without reading the name. As mentioned in the thread, a profile without an avatar appears like a faceless person; a person without an identity.

pwarbi

Having an avatar isn't that important as far as I'm concerned, although I do always add one out of respect for the forum and the other members.

Nobody want's to chat with a faceless person and even though your avatar might not be a face, it's still a picture that represents you, and that makes a big difference I feel.

networld

Having an avatar isn't that important as far as I'm concerned, although I do always add one out of respect for the forum and the other members.

Nobody want's to chat with a faceless person and even though your avatar might not be a face, it's still a picture that represents you, and that makes a big difference I feel.
You are right that if you don't have an avatar that does not mean that your performance will be adversely affected by that. Avatar is not mandatory if forum admin is not particular about that. But I think it is the basic thing one should do in a forum, give a face to him. You avatar will be your identity as what a corporate logo does for the company. Other members can easily remember you seeing the avatar if you use a unique one.

pwarbi

Comparing your avatars to that of a company brand is more or less right, and often people will notice the avatars before the name and recognise who the poster is.

While like we've already said, it's not compulsory but it's just respectful more than anything else I think, and it st least shows that your making the effort to be part of that community.

cheezcarls

It's Game Time!
First and foremost, I would like to say that forum avatar really matters most for us as members of the community. Although this is just optional, but it would be better if you have one because all other members of the community can find you interesting and real, rather than saying that you are just a bot or an unreal user once and for all. When I join on other forums, I make sure that I always have a forum avatar with me that is going to be interesting for them. I see some other forums have enabled us to upload animated GIFs, which also increases attraction. But for professional forums like this, we stick to have a normal image.

Vinaya

I used to use my own photo as an avatar in various platforms. However, these days I am using a drawing as my avatar. The picture that I am using ads my avatar is a drawing from a children book I have published on Amazon.

masterbusiness

Content Writer
Having an avatar in a forum is very helpful especially if you want to read a particular person's opinion or idea. You can easily identify certain parts of the forum that you have proven to be useful pr relevant.

steve taylor

White Belt
Avatar play very important role on forum websites here there are many number of people joined and it is not possible to memorize his names to read his post and his status and you want to reply them then you can not find easily avatar provide visual status of forum website uses.And your profile looking good.

sunshine

Blue Belt
The usual avatar system added on most Internet forums is a small as 80x80 size and almost all forums provides avatar option to upload an own or any other picture of registered member. Avatar shows at every Post, Thread and at Private message. It is a form of your quick identity and make your position more strong an authorized at the forum.

I think that avatars are important for name recognition, similarly to how some forums have access to signature banners. I find that it's a handy way to get recognized since being on flat imageboards with only names can be a bit jarring.

Pooja Sharma

An avatar in any forum gives your shadow and introduce you among all. It is not true that you can put any of the avatar in your profile as the avatar are used to show the confidence, maturity of contents made that comes with more experience. Dull avatar may not attract more users to the forum, for the fact you are the only creator of your world and if you are lacking behind, why would you be preferred.

Zirkon Kalti

Content Writer
I've seen some people who add their site URL in their avatar. But I would not recommend adding your site URL in the avatar or in the signature because someone who see it might hack your site especially when you are in a popular forum. But the one benefit of using an avatar is that it let people recognize you. If you don't put an avatar, people will have to see your username to know its you. If you upload an image for your avatar, just one look at your image people know its you.

justiinn

Avatar is very important in your forum profile as it gives an identification of a person.
it is not necessary to upload your own picture but you can upload any other which describes your personality.
it helps to attract many users and sometimes not having an avatar on your profile makes client think that it may be a spammer.