Welcome to WebmasterServe!

FREE TO JOIN! Join us now to engage in informative and friendly discussions about Webmastering, SEO, SEM, Internet Marketing, Programming, Graphic Design, Online Jobs and more. What are you waiting for? Ready to join our friendly community? It takes just one minute to register.

Dismiss Notice

Join WebmasterServe Forums 
Join the discussion! Have a better idea or an opinion? It takes just one minute to register Click Here to Join

Tutorial How To Do Keyword Research For Seo

Discussion in 'Keyword Research' started by selvaa, Jan 6, 2016.

1. selvaa

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +56 / -0
    While Google kept us on our toes with all the algorithm updates, one thing has stayed pretty consistent for inbound marketers looking to optimize their websites for search: keyword search.

How you actually do it?

So I'm going to layout a keyword research process you can follow to help you come up with and narrow down a list of terms you should be targeting.

You will be able to establish a strong keyword strategy that helps you to get search terms you actually care about.

Steps to be followed:

Step 1: Make a list of important, relevant topics based on what you know about your business.

To avoid this process, you should think about the topics in terms of generic buckets. You can choose 5-10 topic buckets you think that are more important to your business, you can use the topic buckets, come up with some specific keywords.

These are probably the topics you blog about most, if you are a regular blogger. In sales conversations these topics that come up the most .What type of topics would your target audience search that you would want your business to get found for? if you have a company like hub spot for example selling marketing software, you may have general topic buckets like "inbound marketing," "blogging," "email marketing," "lead generation," "SEO," "social media," "marketing analytics,"

Step 2: Fill in those topic buckets with keywords

At last you have some topic buckets to focus, from these buckets you identify some keywords. Your target customer is probably searches specific terms.

I would think some keyword phrases which I think the people would type to the related topic. Those keyword phrases may include
    • baseball bats
    • little league bats
    • youth baseball bats
    • junior baseball bats

The keyword phrases come up from this step isn't come up with our final list. Customers might use to search for content related to particular topic so that you just want to with a brain dumb of the phrases You don’t have something too unwieldy, we will narrow the list down latter in the process.

Repeat this exercise and remember, if you have any troubles related to search terms you go through your employees like Sales or services.

Step 3: Research related search terms

It’s a great way to fill out those lists. If you struggling to think more keywords about a specific topic go to google.com there you can find more keywords related to your topic. Google search engine will suggest more related phrase or keywords to your original input at the bottom of Google’s result.

2.JPG

Step 4: Check for a mix of head terms and long-tail keywords in each bucket

It’s important to check that you have a mix of head terms and long tail terms that’s well balanced with long term goals and wins without even looking up search volume, which of the below term would be harder to rank for?
    1. How to write a great blog spot
    2. blogging
    From the above two second is right, while head terms have more search volumes, you will get from the term “How to write a great blog spot” that has more desirable traffic. If you want quick wins that long tail keyword will afford you while head terms are more difficult.

Step 5: See how competitors are ranking for these keywords

If your competitor is doing something doesn’t mean you need to. Keyword is important to your competitor, not to you. Understand what keywords your competitors are trying to rank which give you list of keywords another evaluation.

However, don’t ignore the ones your competitors don’t seem to care about. This could be great opportunity for you to own market share on important terms, too.

Step 6: Use the Google AdWords Keyword Planner or Hub Spot's Keywords App to cut down your keyword list.

Now you got right mix of keywords, you have a lot of tools to do this, but let me tell you some methods to you.
    If you were a hub spot customer, you may easily do with the keywords app. If you don’t have hub spot software then you can use Google AdWords Keyword Planner and Google trends.Keyword planner helps you to flag any terms and adjust the search volume. Google trends helps you determine which terms can trending upward.

5.JPG

Google AdWords Keyword Planner : Google AdWords: Keyword Planner
    Hub Spot's Keywords App : HubSpot SEO

And ... You're done!

Now we have got a list of keywords that’ll help us to focus on the right topics for our business and get some short term and long term gains.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. cheezcarls

cheezcarls It's Game Time!
    Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +162 / -0
    This is an informative thread to be honest. One of the most important things you should do when doing keyword research is to always make a list first about the hot or trending topics that was searched by most people up to date, and it is too much to be ignored. What I really like about keyword research is the third step you mentioned, which is no other than research related terms on top of the main keyword. I can even treat them as LSI keywords in creating content for myself and for my clients. I can say that this article is useful and helpful for the sake of those who are still new or confused about keyword research.

3. Manish Mishra

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +159 / -0
    It is typical task for any website owner to chose the right keyword. There are various sources to get your right keywords. One of the major is like Google Adwords, Bing and Yahoo also offers the program to identify keywords for your website.

This is the REAL important thing for your website and everyone should give time while choosing the keywords.

4. bharath

Staff Member Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +54 / -0
    You have mentioned good information here, about the related terms that I never used to see results. Keyword researching takes time, but it brings a lot of traffic that converts into sales or leads.
    I stopped using Google trends that changed from past experience, It is one of toughest situation to find great keywords for less competition in these days as Internet has filled up with heavy domains.

5. ellyjude

White Belt

Ratings:
    +5 / -0
    I once lost a contract from a very valuable client on upwork all because i failed to do a keyword research. This tips will work great for me especially now that i am investing more time in freelancing.

6. skylimit

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +46 / -0
  7. amultani

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +8 / -0
    Making a list of your desired keywords will help you much improve your content during writing and adding them in the particular places.

8. Vinaya

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +22 / -0
    Most of the time, my titles are long tail search terms or keywords keyphrase. Just about 5 percent of the text in my content is keywords. I always target a keyword that has less competition. I always try to write on evergreen topic and commercial topic.

9. Sakibul Hasan

White Belt

Ratings:
    +1 / -0
    A buyer persona is a super-simple way to identify Niche Topics that your potential customers care about. And once you identify these Niche Topics , you can easily find keywords that potential customers use every day. Your keyword research-focused buyer persona should include your target audience's: Gender.

10. RH-Calvin

Red Belt

Ratings:
    +13 / -0
    Google keyword planner is the best free tool for high quality keyword research. They help to provide various keyword suggestions for your domain, and selecting the right keywords will help to rank your website higher in search results.