Tutorial How To Reach Top Rankings On Google And Other Search Engines

Zak

When you are trying to increase your visibility on the internet you need to know how to reach top rankings on Google search. Google is the most widely used search engine on the internet and as such, being on the first page of Google is an important aspect of promoting your website. Even if you are not a computer geek there are simple techniques you can implement in order to reach the top rankings on Google search, or gain a high rank on the SERP (Search engine results page). A point to note, this guide is to help you rank high in the organic search results on Google and other search engines. It is important to rank high on organic search results even if you are using paid advertising methods like Adwords or Bing Ads.

serp-components.png

Use the right keywords

SEO, also known as Search Engine Optimization, is a concept that most have heard about. Unfortunately, most people do not know how to use it to their advantage, assuming that it is too hard to learn. However, it is a simple enough concept. In order to get your content showing up on the first page of Google search, you need to use the right keywords or phrases in your content. These keywords should be incorporated into your content naturally in correct sentences.

Two important rules should be followed to use keywords effectively – firstly,
1) The keywords should read naturally in sentences
2) And secondly, they should be placed in both, the first and last paragraph of the content

Effective Headlines

Headings or headlines are an effective means of increasing your visibility on Google search. When you type in your keywords on Google, billions of web crawlers or spiders search the internet for sites which contain the keywords. These crawlers ‘read’ everything on the site, including the headings, and determine where your page is placed on the results page.

Use Pictures or Images in Your Content

The old saying ‘a picture is worth a thousand words’ is completely apt when using it to increase your website’s visibility. If you incorporate named and tagged images into the website then the web crawlers will also read this content to determine where your website lands up in the search results. Try to name your pictures in SEO friendly titles, such as "my-samsung-galaxy-s5.jpg" instead of "image12_123.jpg". And make sure you have ALT tags assigned to each image with SEO friendly tags like "My Samsung Galaxy s5" and don't leave the alt tags blank.

Use Meta Tags for SEO

To effectively increase the visibility of your website you need to make it easy for the billions of web crawlers who read your site. Complete the Meta Tag description because the web crawlers read this to identify the content and thus determine how relevant it is to the desired keywords. As such, ensure that the Meta Tags you use are accurate and relevant to the search or keywords for which you want to rank in search engines.

Use an Exact Match Domain (EMD) Name

If possible, use a short exact match domain name or EMD. Like the title and meta tags, search engines do read the text in the domain name itself and match it with search keywords. Using an EMD helps you rank high for specific keyword used in your domain name. For example: With everything else remaining constant the domain such as "WebHostingReviews.com" is likely to rank higher than "HostingTopics.com" for keywords like "web hosting reviews". But, of course this is not set in stone, if your website with an EMD does not have any content relevant to the keywords you will be nullifying the positive effect of using an EMD. It is no wonder that EMD or exact match domains are bought and sold at premium prices.

Use SEO Friendly URLs

Just as in the case of an exact match domain, title and meta tags, your website's URLs play an important role in determining your rank in the search engine results page. To rank high on SERP you should be using search engine friendly, or SEO friendly URL structure on your website. Most proprietary and open source applications such as Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal, Prestashop, Opencart, vBulletin, Xenforo etc. offer pre-built functionality to use SEO friendly URL structure. Make sure you turn that functionality ON before you start other promotional methods. SEO friendly URLs are URLs which have the keywords you would like to rank for, an example would be instead of a URL like "domain.com/article/123.php" you could score a much higher search engine rank with an SEO friendly URL like "domain.com/article/my-samsung-galaxy-s6-review".

Site map

Establishing a clear structure of your website will help you reach top rankings on Google search. This is because the web crawlers find this easier to read your website for the keywords or phrase, thus increasing your rank on the search results page. Make sure you have a website structure with all appropriate links, preferably in the right hierarchy in your sitemap. This file is usually stored on your website web root folder (public_html) and should be accessible with the URL "domain.com/sitemap.xml" for search engine crawlers to pick it up and parse all links on your website.

Search-Engine-Ranking.jpg

Learning how to reach top rankings on Google search is a topic which scares many new website or blog owners who believe only those who have a deep knowledge of computer technology can understand it. However, by following these simple steps your website will soon reach high rankings on Google search.

cheezcarls

It's Game Time!
This is a very useful information @Zak. Thank you for this one. I think this is a very useful information for those who are into SEO and ranking websites. It's also very essential for those who are doing SEO services to their clients. Google Panda and Penguin are very strict nowadays in terms of ranking our own websites, and we should learn how to play by their rules. For those who wants to rank very well in Google SERPs and other search engines, this is a very important guide that you provide for them.

I also want to take note of the image alt tags that you mentioned. Sometimes, I forgot that I should be putting the alt tags of the image every time I am going to publish a blog post, article or so. I admitted that I always forgot. Although it's a simple thing to do, but it can create a huge impact and boost to our websites and blog posts in doing this. Cheers!

skylimit

Content Writer
Basically you have mention, On-page/site optimization.
On page optimization helps any search engine to recognize the content, images and videos that are present in your website in order to rank it.
You covered it all.

Vinaya

Some of my articles that uses moderately searched terms are on the first page of google. Some articles are even on top three list on google. I know the importance of long tail search term, keywords, image usage and other things. However, I did not know much about site map and exact match domain.

Zirkon Kalti

Content Writer
All these items you mention are important for optimizing your website for the search engine including page title, meta description, content and . You forgot to mention that link building as one of the most important methods for getting your site ranked on top of the search engine. You can set up Google alerts on your site so that you will be notified whenever someone cite your website and didn't include a link back. In this way, you can contact the webmaster and ask him to provide a link back if he didn't mention it in the article. Besides, you should also link to other relevant sites to show that you are serious about making your site resourceful to your readers. Your site cannot be all things to everyone so including a links to relevant sites will be helpful to readers who are looking for more information on the topic.

Petesede

Great article.

I read so many of these types of articles, and they usually head down the path of gray-hat or just outdated and things that are a useless waste of time.

The only slight thing I would add is that you should use <H1> tags on your page for the title of the article, and if possible use like <h3> tags as titles of paragraphs and make sure to use keywords within those titles.

The other thing I always stress is the use of synonyms. People generally think of the best keywords, and then over-use those particular words. But I believe once you get past the 5th use of a word, the SEO value diminishes very quickly. You are much better off sprinkling synonyms throughout your article.

sunshine

Blue Belt
Unique and well written content is still important to get high ranks in Google and other search engines just as a decent number of images and strong internal links. Page loading interval also matter a lot in this matter so try to use less flash images and videos on your website or blog. If you are consistently publishing unique and informative content, steadily acquiring backlinks and adding rich media including images and light video, then you are taking all the right things at place to maintain a solid ranking.

ajsahi

as you give a long detail about well managed content for your website to come in first page in google search engine , but if anyone ry all these factor but still in low ranking or not in first page even not in second page , then what should do?

Petesede

as you give a long detail about well managed content for your website to come in first page in google search engine , but if anyone ry all these factor but still in low ranking or not in first page even not in second page , then what should do?
Admit you are writing to a well covered topic. It is one of the myths about SEO... that there are things you can do to put yourself on the front page. But that is just people trying to sell you SEO services. The fact is that there are a limited number of things writers and webmasters can do to affect SEO... and what happens if 50 websites with similar information as your page, already have done all of those things?

My advice is to take your current article and slant it in a way that makes the content slightly different than everyone else. Give it a different perspective, or write about how it relates to some other topic.. effectively what you are doing it making it a ´long tail´ article. You are making it more specific so you do not have to compete with dozens of articles about the exact same topic.

The other thing is to learn that you cannot simply read someone else´s article and spit out the exact same information and expect to beat them. You never will. From the beginning, create your content to be unique in some way.

cpartisan

I am very helpful for this post.It's totally guideline for seo .How to start seo and how to achieve my goal.Try to follow this step for my working time.

cheezcarls

It's Game Time!
Great article.

I read so many of these types of articles, and they usually head down the path of gray-hat or just outdated and things that are a useless waste of time.

The only slight thing I would add is that you should use <H1> tags on your page for the title of the article, and if possible use like <h3> tags as titles of paragraphs and make sure to use keywords within those titles.

The other thing I always stress is the use of synonyms. People generally think of the best keywords, and then over-use those particular words. But I believe once you get past the 5th use of a word, the SEO value diminishes very quickly. You are much better off sprinkling synonyms throughout your article.
I can relate to that @Petesede, especially the overuse of the best keywords in a single content. For me, I think it is better that we should use LSI keywords in order to make the article look decent, along with synonyms. I use a free article checker Paper Rater to check my content if there are overused words and specific targeted keywords. I always make sure that I double or triple check the content before publishing in my blog before.

Unique and well written content is still important to get high ranks in Google and other search engines just as a decent number of images and strong internal links. Page loading interval also matter a lot in this matter so try to use less flash images and videos on your website or blog. If you are consistently publishing unique and informative content, steadily acquiring backlinks and adding rich media including images and light video, then you are taking all the right things at place to maintain a solid ranking.
I agree to you as well @sunshine. When I write articles before on my affiliate marketing blog, I only focused on writing words with no images, internal links and no optimization. I was writing general stuff before, but I realized why I didn't get enough traffic on Google. So I tried it with few images, embedded videos and internal links, and my traffic increased. I also consider how fast a page loads. If a page loads very slow, it would affect my SEO, so I need to make sure that the page loading interval is smooth sailing.

fsdqasmia

Using a keyword in your URL is required for getting higher rank in search engines, so don't ignore this point while using your other techniques.

sunshine

Blue Belt
I agree to you as well @sunshine. When I write articles before on my affiliate marketing blog, I only focused on writing words with no images, internal links and no optimization. I was writing general stuff before, but I realized why I didn't get enough traffic on Google. So I tried it with few images, embedded videos and internal links, and my traffic increased. I also consider how fast a page loads. If a page loads very slow, it would affect my SEO, so I need to make sure that the page loading interval is smooth sailing.
Well @cheezcarls! You come late to get amazing benefits of including Images and videos in the Posts. Its just as to show something to people in an interesting and beautiful way which attracts and loves everyone.
Best Wishes!

Bilal Nasir

Apart from using the right keywords and meta tags We should also concentrate on criteria set by the search engines for ranking.

amultani

Apart from doing keywords research, writing original articles and getting natural traffic is also important to improve your blogs, forum, or site.

Garvita

Today all we need to do content marketing. As an example if you are doing healthcare internet marketing then you need a lot of genuine articles for to distribute on best sites from where you can get relevant traffic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Manish Mishra

Content Writer
It is really obvious that how it could be done before the many updates Google has been done recently.
I appreciate you for this excellent tutorial that might help the folks.

Today's scenario is whole lot of changed. There is no keyword tactics, meta tag, keywords rules neither even the exact match domain.
I suggest everyone to forget these rules, if you do not just search for any keyword you want to search for.

You will see, there is no exact keyword domain is among the top-10 result unless and until it has really something like massive quality backlinks and quality contents.
Otherwise sit back and relax just after buying the exact domain will let you no where but spoiling your money.

fsdqasmia

It is really obvious that how it could be done before the many updates Google has been done recently.
I appreciate you for this excellent tutorial that might help the folks.

Today's scenario is whole lot of changed. There is no keyword tactics, meta tag, keywords rules neither even the exact match domain.
I suggest everyone to forget these rules, if you do not just search for any keyword you want to search for.

You will see, there is no exact keyword domain is among the top-10 result unless and until it has really something like massive quality backlinks and quality contents.
Otherwise sit back and relax just after buying the exact domain will let you no where but spoiling your money.
Really impressed by your idea. You pointed that keywords are not more important than the written content in our sites. It's true, just work for the readers, not for the bots.

Vinaya

If you want to rank better on search engine, the most important thing you need to remember is the quality of contents. If your content is of low quality, it will not rank higher even though you have have done everything related to search engine optimization. The content must deliever what it promises. The information contained in the content must come from reliable source.