My Suggestion Importance Of Checking Links From Time To Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamPlayer

Yellow Belt
I've had my blogs for several years now. You know how it is, you place a link on it, and then forget all about it.

Anyway, today I've spent quite a bit of time 'cleaning' my blogs up. Checking out all the links is one of the things I did. And, by doing that I've removed several dead ones.

I was rather sad about a link I had on all 3 blogs. When I clicked on it I got this message. Check the date, Britblog hasn't been around for 10 months, yet I hadn't known. The other thing that is quite apparent is that the spammers are ruining the Internet.-

BritBlog: Site Closure

London, UK, 23 April, 2008 - It is with sadness that I announce the closure of BritBlog: the British Blog Directory.

We've had over four years of fun with this project, but after a recent hacking incident and with the constant battle against spammers and spam blogs, I have to admit that I just don't have the time to put into the project that it needs (and deserves).

TeamPlayer

Yellow Belt
That's a great feature. I'm with Google blogger, but it would be a handy tool to have there that's for sure.

TeamPlayer

Yellow Belt
Just went to another blog directory (yourwebloghere.com) to try to submit, and this came up - :mad:

New submissions are closed to get rid of these F%$&ing spammers. Will reopen soon..

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
I can to some extend understand their frustration, I get 98% spam on some of my directories, I know we should not throw away the baby with the bath water. Have you added you site to blogcatalog.com/ already?

TeamPlayer

Yellow Belt
I noticed one of the UK sites here in this thread charges for 'Featured' listings of blogs ($25), and for 'Regular' they charge $15.

I'm not keen on having to pay for a listing anywhere, but, I would imagine it would at least keep the spammers out and ensure decent quality of those sites submitted.

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
I have turned a few sites from free to paid, not becuse I wanted the directory to be paid but just to keep spammers out.

The one that saddens me the most is my ethical directory , its still free but I made it mandatory to link back to the site to have your site listed, it does keep the spammers out, but it also keep the good people who are not net savvy out or sending me email asking "what is a reciprocal link" how do I add it to my site etc etc

I noticed one of the UK sites here in this thread charges for 'Featured' listings of blogs ($25), and for 'Regular' they charge $15.

I'm not keen on having to pay for a listing anywhere, but, I would imagine it would at least keep the spammers out and ensure decent quality of those sites submitted.

semaphoreseo

Yellow Belt
With the popularity of SEO, Link Building is being very popular and important so, many web masters are doing link spamming with some directories and also some spammy comment posting on blogs also. i have selected comment moderation in my blog, coz my blog PR is 4 and i am getting daily 10 to 15 spam comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.