Help Me/Question Inkscape Vs Photoshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOS

White Belt
I've recently found out about InkScape (in another post here).

What is it in relation to Photoshop?

Is it a similar program or does it serve some other purpose?

alexandru

Yellow Belt
If you want to draw paralels, this is how if would look like:

photo manipulation programs: Photoshop / The GIMP (gimp.org)
vectorial drawing programs: CorelDraw / InkScape

I use InkScape and I'm really happy about it. It's true, it's my first vectorial drawing program... but I'm really impressed with it. GIMP can be an excellent replacement for Photoshop however, if that's what you're looking for.

DOS

White Belt
alexandru said:
If you want to draw paralels, this is how if would look like:

photo manipulation programs: Photoshop / The GIMP (gimp.org)
vectorial drawing programs: CorelDraw / InkScape

I use InkScape and I'm really happy about it. It's true, it's my first vectorial drawing program... but I'm really impressed with it. GIMP can be an excellent replacement for Photoshop however, if that's what you're looking for.
So InkScape is more for drawing logos, caroony graphics and such, whereas Photoshop is more for photos, layouts and such.

I am glad to find a program better for drawing because it is impossible to draw some things with Photoshop.

alexandru

Yellow Belt
DOS said:
So InkScape is more for drawing logos, caroony graphics and such, whereas Photoshop is more for photos, layouts and such.

I am glad to find a program better for drawing because it is impossible to draw some things with Photoshop.
Yes, InkScape is definitely much more suited for the "drawing" side of things... while Photoshop/Gimp type of programs are more suited for image manipulation, once it's drawn. I usually start by using InkScape, and then do the final touch on GIMP. It's a killer combination :)

If you just started with InkScape, you should check out the tutorials, that come with it, I found them really useful. Another place really helpful is openclipart.org Lots of clipart made in .svg from which you can learn...

Status
Not open for further replies.