Intel Delivers 64-Bit Computing to Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

L-Man

Intel plans to offer 64-bit computing capability on all new desktop processors, including the Celeron D lines, later this year. The global chip leader is a little late to the 64-bit desktop game, as rival AMD launched its Athlon 64 processor in 2003.

Topping the list of new products is the Pentium 4 Processor Extreme Edition 3.73 GHz supporting Hyper-Threading (HT) Technology, featuring a high-speed 1066 MHz system bus and 2MB of L2 cache memory for handling high-definition video and gaming applications that demand quick availability of large amounts of data.

AMD has the advantage now, because the company placed an early bet on 64-bit technology and provided an easy way to upgrade from 32-bit computing when it becomes more widely available, said Forrester Research analyst Siimon Yates.

The turning point will come with the release of the new Windows XP OS, said Yates. "Then we will have machines that can run the new processors, enabling applications to run faster, and more 64-bit software will follow. And vendors will use the 64-bit capability to drive PC sales."

O

ooen

Yeah, but Itanium failed pretty miserably. Even mighty Intel makes a terrible mistake sometime.

myshtern

Yellow Belt
I like my Athlon64 2800+ :)
I havent really tested its capabilities yet, but I'm sure its good.

Microsoft is coming out with Windows XP64 really soon I hear.

O

ooen

myshtern said:
Microsoft is coming out with Windows XP64 really soon I hear.
There was a server version of Windows that enables you to run 64 bit processor, but since Itanium didn't take off, that version of Windows didn't really take off, either. I guess Windows is stuck to commodity processors?

Status
Not open for further replies.